Indulge in the rich and decadent flavor of Chocolate Salty Balls, a delicious double-chocolate coconut-walnut cookie recipe from the renowned Levain Bakery. These cookies are an irresistible treat that combine the satisfying crunch of walnuts with the chewy texture of shredded coconut, all swirled into a double dose of dark chocolate.
As an articulative assistant for a master baker, I can assure you that this recipe is unlike any other chocolate chip cookie recipe out there. These cookies are larger than your average baked good, with a crispy outer shell and a melt-in-your-mouth center that will leave you craving for more.
Levain Bakery has been baking irresistible cookies for over 25 years in New York City, and their chocolate chip cookies are famous worldwide. So if there’s any bakery to trust when it comes to cookie recipes, it’s them.
Don’t settle for mediocre store-bought cookies when you have access to authentic Levain Bakery’s recipe through this article. You deserve decadent, freshly baked treats that will blow your taste buds away. Get ready to impress yourself and your loved ones with these incredible Chocolate Salty Balls!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
As a baking enthusiast, you know that it takes more than just any cookie recipe to impress the sweet lovers in your life. That’s why I highly recommend trying out these Chocolate Salty Balls (Levain Double Choc. Coconut-Walnut Cookie Recipe) from Levain Bakery, legendary for their big, fat, double chocolate chip cookies.
If you’re someone who loves texture in your baked goods, get ready for an explosion of flavors and textures in every bite! The unsweetened shredded coconut provides a much-needed crunch, while the walnut pieces add richness to the cookie dough. All-purpose flour and baking powder help the cookies rise perfectly, giving them a light and fluffy texture without any cakey feeling.
But let’s not forget about the star ingredient here: chocolate. Lots and lots of chocolate. These cookies call for both dark cocoa and semisweet chocolate chips, making every bite indulgent and pure bliss. And if you’re a fan of salty-sweet combinations (who isn’t?), the pinch of salt sprinkled on top becomes the perfect finishing touch to complement all that sweetness.
Not only are these cookies perfection in flavor and texture – they’re also incredibly easy to make. With just a few simple ingredients like eggs, granulated sugar, unsalted butter, and chopped walnuts, you too can have a batch of cookies that will disappear before your eyes in seconds.
So why will you love this recipe? Because it’s the perfect combination of sweet and salty goodness with crunchy textures and a rich chocolate flavor. It’s an authentic Levain Bakery inspired recipe that will impress anyone’s taste buds. You’ll find yourself craving Chocolate Salty Balls over and over again – that’s how delicious they are!
Here are the ingredients you need to make Chocolate Salty Balls (Levain Double Choc. Coconut-Walnut Cookie Recipe):
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 10 ounces unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoon dark cocoa powder
- 4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
All the ingredients are easily available in any grocery store. For a gluten-free recipe, you can replace the all-purpose flour with cake flour. You can also swap the walnuts with almonds or pecans according to your taste preference.
The Recipe How-To
* Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
* Prepare a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Mix the Dry Ingredients:
1. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine 1 cup (120g) all-purpose flour, 2 tsp (10g) baking powder, and 1/4 tsp (1.4g) salt.
2. Whisk the dry ingredients together until they are thoroughly combined.
Mix the Wet Ingredients:
1. In a separate large mixing bowl, use an electric mixer to cream 10 ounces (283g) of unsalted butter until it is light and fluffy.
2. Add 2/3 cup (132g) granulated sugar into the butter and mix it until it’s well combined.
3. Add in two whole eggs, one at a time, until they are well-blended.
4. Mix in 4 teaspoons (20ml) vanilla extract, stopping the mixer and scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
Add in the Dry Ingredients:
1. Gradually add in the dry mixture that you have created in step 2 of the first section while continuously mixing.
2. Mix on low speed until just blended to prevent overmixing.
Add in Chocolate Chips, Coconut and Walnuts:
1. Add in one 12 ounce (340g) bag of pure chocolate chips or broken up dark chocolate bars
2. Fold in 1 cup (80g) of unsweetened shredded coconut and 1 cup of chopped walnuts
Forming the Cookie Dough Balls:
1. Roll your cookie dough into 1-2 tablespoon sized balls – you can make them as big or small as you like
2. Place cookie dough balls onto the parchment-lined baking sheet
Baking Your Chocolate Salty Balls:
1. Bake at 375°F (190°C) for approximately 14-16 minutes or until golden brown on top.
2. Remove cookies from oven and let them cool on the baking sheets for at least 5 minutes before transferring them to wire racks.
Get ready for a mouthwatering experience, enjoy your delicious chocolate salty balls!
Substitutions and Variations
For those looking to switch things up with this recipe, we’ve got you covered with a few different substitutions and variations that will still give you delicious results.
– Gluten-Free Option: Simply swap out the all-purpose flour for a gluten-free alternative like almond flour or coconut flour. Just keep in mind that the texture and consistency may be slightly different from the original recipe.
– Vegan Option: To make these chocolate salty balls vegan, substitute the eggs with a flax egg (1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tablespoons of water) and swap out the unsalted butter for coconut oil.
– Different Nut Option: If you’re not a fan of walnuts or simply want to mix it up, try substituting them with your favorite nut option. Chopped almonds or pecans would work just as well in this recipe.
– Milk Chocolate Option: While this recipe calls for dark chocolate chips, if you prefer to have a sweeter taste to your cookies, try using milk chocolate chips instead.
– Toasted Coconut Option: To add an extra crunch and depth of flavor to these cookies, toast your unsweetened dried shredded coconut before adding it to the mixture. Simply spread the coconut on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 5-7 minutes until lightly golden brown.
These substitutions and variations will allow you to personalize this recipe to your liking and still get a delicious treat at the end. Experimentation is part of the fun of baking, so don’t be afraid to try something new!
Serving and Pairing
You’ll want to savor every bite of these decadent chocolate salty balls, and the perfect way to elevate your experience is by pairing them with your favorite beverage. For a classic combination, enjoy these cookies with a cold glass of milk. The creamy sweetness of the milk is the ideal complement to the rich, double dark chocolate flavor in the cookies.
If you are looking for something more unconventional, try pairing these chocolate salty balls with a cup of coffee or tea. The bitterness of the coffee or tea will contrast beautifully with the sweetness of the cookie, creating a delicious balance on your palate.
For those who love indulging in wine, choose a bold red wine like Cabernet Sauvignon or a rich, full-bodied port to pair with these cookies. The tannins in the wine will cut through the sweetness of the chocolate and enhance its complexity.
These cookies are also perfect for gifting, especially during holiday seasons. Serve them on a platter alongside other baked goods such as brownies and bars, or package them in clear cellophane bags tied with a pretty ribbon as a sweet treat for friends and family.
Overall, whatever way you choose to serve these chocolate salty balls, one thing’s for sure: they’re guaranteed to satisfy your sweet cravings and leave you wanting more!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
You will be delighted to know that these decadent chocolate salty balls can be made ahead of time and stored for later consumption. Simply bake the cookies as instructed, allow them to cool completely, and store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to five days. If you plan on storing them for longer, we recommend placing them in the refrigerator or freezer instead.
To reheat, simply pop a cookie in the microwave for a few seconds until warm and gooey. However, if you prefer your cookies to have a slightly crisp texture, we recommend reheating them in the oven at 350°F for three to five minutes.
If you find yourself running low on time but still want to satisfy your sweet tooth with these chocolatey treats, feel free to make the dough ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator or freezer until you’re ready to bake. The dough can be stored for up to three days in the refrigerator or several weeks in the freezer.
To thaw frozen cookie dough, simply transfer it from the freezer to the refrigerator and allow it to thaw overnight before baking as instructed. Alternatively, you can also bake the dough directly from frozen but be sure to increase the baking time by a few minutes.
With these make-ahead options, feel free to impress your guests with freshly-baked cookies anytime without having to worry about preparing everything last minute.
Tips for Perfect Results
As a baker, there are a few things that I have learned along the way to ensure perfect results when baking cookies. Here are my tips for baking the perfect Levain double chocolate coconut-walnut cookie recipe, also known as Chocolate Salty Balls:
1. Follow the recipe measurements precisely
Baking is a science, and even small alterations to the quantities of ingredients can cause big changes in your final product. Be sure to measure your dry ingredients precisely, and avoid making any substitutions unless they are mentioned in the recipe.
2. Chill your dough before baking
Chilling your cookie dough will help it hold its shape while baking, which is especially important for thick cookies like Chocolate Salty Balls. After mixing the dough, refrigerate it for at least an hour or overnight before scooping and baking.
3. Use quality ingredients
For the best flavor and texture, use high-quality ingredients such as dark cocoa powder and authentic Levain Bakery chocolate chips. Using semi-sweet or sweet chocolate chips instead of dark chocolate may give a sweeter taste than intended.
4. Scoop your cookies generously
When scooping your cookie dough onto the baking sheet, do so generously to make big fat cookies characteristic of Levain Bakery treats. However, if you prefer to make smaller cookies but don’t want them to dry out quickly be sure to adjust cooking time accordingly.
5. Watch for visual cues
Cookies can go from underdone to burnt in a matter of seconds! Check on your cookies often after about 10 minutes, and look for visual clues like lightly golden edges or cracks on the surface of the cookie.
By following these tips, you’ll be able to bake perfect Chocolate Salty Balls every time you make them! Don’t forget to personalize the recipe and make it yours overtime by experimenting with substitutions mentioned in section (5) Substitutions and Variations!
In conclusion, if you’re looking for a truly indulgent cookie recipe that will satisfy even the most stubborn sweet tooth, look no further than Levain Bakery’s Chocolate Salty Balls. These big fat double chocolate chip cookies are loaded with rich, dark cocoa, semi-sweet chocolate chips, and salty chunks of chopped walnuts and unsweetened shredded coconut. They’re a perfect treat for any occasion, whether you’re hosting a party, treating your co-workers, or just craving something sweet and indulgent.
So what are you waiting for? Head to the grocery store and pick up the ingredients today! With this recipe in your arsenal, you’ll be able to recreate the magic of Levain Bakery’s famous cookies right in the comfort of your own kitchen. Plus, with our tips and substitutions guide, you can easily customize these cookies to fit your preferences and dietary needs.
Trust us: one bite of these delectable cookies will have you hooked for life.
Chocolate Salty Balls (Levain Double Choc. Coconut-Walnut Cookie Recipe
- 8 ounces unsalted butter
- 10 ounces granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 ounces dark cocoa
- 10 ounces all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 1/2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 ounces large walnut pieces
- 3 ounces unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In bowl of electric mixer fitted with paddle, cream together butter and sugar until well-blended and fluffy.
- Add eggs and beat until well-incorporated, then beat in cocoa powder.
- Mix in flour, salt, and baking powder until just combined.
- Gently stir in remaining ingredients by hand to ensure even distribution of ingredients.
- Transfer dough to clean work surface. Divide into 12-14 equal portions and place each on sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Bake in oven 12 minutes, taking care not to overbake. Let cool on rack and store in airtight container.
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Steven is a chef by heritage, so it’s no wonder why baking is such a big part of who he is. To share his passion for all things sweet, he created cookiesncrepes.com. It’s the perfect platform to indulge in delicious treats, all with a sprinkle of his signature flare.