Welcome, fellow baking enthusiasts! Today, I present to you a recipe that is sure to tickle your taste buds and satisfy your sweet tooth. Behold, the Vegan Cherry Bon-Bon Cookies! These delightful little treats are not your average cookies; they are filled with a burst of cherry flavor that is both refreshing and indulgent at the same time.
As a baker, I take pride in my ability to concoct desserts that cater to all types of preferences and dietary restrictions. This recipe is perfect for those who choose to follow a vegan lifestyle, but also for those who just love trying something new and delicious. Trust me when I say that these cookies are worth trying out.
The process of making these cookies is simple yet rewarding. They’re easy to make and require minimal effort, perfect for beginners or for those who are short on time but still want to whip up something special. Whether you’re baking them for yourself or gifting them to your loved ones during festive occasions like Christmas or Valentine’s Day, these Vegan Cherry Bon-Bon Cookies will undoubtedly leave a lasting impression.
So what are you waiting for? Preheat your oven, dust off your apron, and let’s start baking some cherry-filled goodness!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you looking for a cookie recipe that is not only delicious but also vegan? Well, you’re in luck because this Vegan Cherry Bon-Bon Cookies Recipe is the perfect solution for all your cookie cravings.
What makes this recipe so special is the combination of maraschino cherry juice and maraschino cherries. The juice infuses a fruity flavor into the dough, and the actual cherries provide a pleasant texture and explosion of sweetness with each bite. The addition of cocoa powder in the dough adds depth and richness to the cookie’s flavor profile.
These cookies are perfect for Christmas or any holiday season. Imagine biting into a delectable, chocolate-covered cherry but in a baked form! Plus, they are visually stunning and would be an excellent addition to any party platter.
Not only are these Vegan Cherry Bon-Bon Cookies delicious, but they are also easy to make. With just a few simple ingredients and minimal effort, you can have warm, soft cookies in no time.
So what are you waiting for? Give this Vegan Cherry Bon-Bon Cookies Recipe a try and indulge in sweet and fruity goodness while staying true to your vegan lifestyle.
Before starting with the recipe, it is important to gather all the ingredients. Here is a list of everything you will need to make these delicious vegan cherry bon-bon cookies:
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup margarine ((or unsalted vegan butter), softened)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
- 2 tablespoons soymilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 24 maraschino cherries, drained and patted dry
For the cherry glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
- 1/2 tablespoon margarine (or unsalted vegan butter), softened
Note: Some of these ingredients might require substitutions and variations depending on your dietary choices and availability of products. Keep reading to find out more about that in section (5).
The Recipe How-To
Now, let’s get to the fun part: baking the Vegan Cherry Bon-Bon Cookies! Follow these easy steps to make your own delicious treats.
Preheat Your Oven
Before anything else, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Mix the Ingredients
In a large bowl, beat together one cup of softened margarine and one cup of granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add in two teaspoons of vanilla extract and mix well.
Combine two cups of unbleached all-purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and two tablespoons of soymilk. Add this mixture to the margarine mixture until just combined.
Finally, add 1/2 cup of maraschino cherry juice and chopped maraschino cherries (around 24 cherries) to taste. Be careful not to over-mix the batter.
Shape Dough into Balls
Scoop the dough out with a small cookie scoop or spoon and shape them into small balls, around 1-2 tablespoons each. Place them on an ungreased cookie sheet, spacing them at least 2 inches apart.
Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden brown around the edges. Don’t overbake them as it can lead to dry cookies.
Remove them from the oven and let cool on the sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Make the Cherry Glaze
While the cookies are cooling down, make a quick cherry glaze by mixing one cup of powdered sugar with 1-2 tablespoons of milk and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract. Mix together, adding more milk if necessary, until you reach your desired consistency.
Once the cookies have cooled completely and your glaze is ready, you can simply dip your Bon-Bon Cookie tops into the glaze and immediately sprinkle with any additional decorations you may desire – like with some extra chopped cherries or sprinkles!
Enjoy your delicious Vegan Cherry Bon-Bon Cookies!
Substitutions and Variations
For a fun twist on the classic recipe, try substituting the maraschino cherries with dried cranberries or chopped nuts. You can also swap out the soymilk for almond milk or any other non-dairy milk of your choice.
For a richer flavor, you can add 1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder to the dry ingredients for chocolate cherry bon-bon cookies. To make them even more indulgent, dip the finished cookies in melted dairy-free chocolate and let them cool on a wire rack.
Looking for a gluten-free option? Swap out the all-purpose flour for a gluten-free flour blend and increase the milk by 2 tablespoons to help bind the dough together.
If you prefer a less sweet cookie, reduce the amount of powdered sugar in half when making the dough. You can also experiment with different types of extracts like almond or peppermint to change up the flavor profile.
There are endless variations to this recipe, so don’t be afraid to get creative and try something new!
Serving and Pairing
One bite of these Vegan Cherry Bon-Bon Cookies, and you’ll be transported to a world of merry delight. These cookies are such a treat that you’ll want to savor each bite. So, what’s the best way to enjoy these delectable treats? There’s no wrong answer, but there are some tips that can help.
Firstly, make sure to pair these cookies with a hot cup of tea or coffee for a comforting experience. The cookies’ rich chocolate-y flavor and fluffy texture perfectly complement the warmth of a cup of hot beverage. You can also enjoy them with a cold glass of almond or soy milk.
These cookies are perfect for your holiday table or any festive occasion because they look so beautiful on the plate – bright red cherries nestled atop tender chocolate-covered cookies, dusted with a sprinkle of powdered sugar. They’re such an eye-catching addition to cookie trays or even as part of larger dessert platters.
If you’re feeling creative, try stuffing some vegan marshmallow in the middle of the cookie dough before baking it for an even more decadent dessert. Or drizzle some cherry glaze on top of your cookies for a sweet twist on this classic recipe.
In conclusion, there are endless ways to enjoy these Vegan Cherry Bon-Bon Cookies. Whether enjoyed plain or customized with your favorite additions, these cookies promise to bring joy to any gathering. Serve them up at your next holiday party and watch them disappear quickly!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
When it comes to making and storing vegan cherry bon-bon cookies, it’s best to get as much done ahead of time as possible. These cookies can be refrigerated or frozen for later use, and they can also be reheated to restore their freshly-baked flavor and texture.
For make-ahead preparation, you can easily store the cookie dough in the refrigerator for up to three days before baking. Alternatively, you can freeze the dough for up to a month by wrapping it tightly in wax paper or plastic wrap before refrigerating. Just make sure to thaw your dough completely before using it.
After baking, these cookies are best stored in an airtight container at room temperature. If you’re planning on serving them later or need to keep them fresh for longer, consider freezing them instead. Before storing, place a small piece of wax paper between each layer of cookies to prevent them from sticking together.
To reheat your vegan cherry bon-bon cookies, preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Align the cookies on a baking sheet and bake for 5-7 minutes or until they are warm and crisp again. Alternatively, you can microwave them for a few seconds or put them in the toaster oven for quick reheating.
Overall, these vegan cherry bon-bon cookies are easy to make ahead of time and store well for later use. With just a little bit of preparation and some careful storage techniques, you can enjoy these sweet and delicious treats anytime you like!
Tips for Perfect Results
To ensure the perfect batch of vegan cherry bon-bon cookies, there are several tips and tricks that will help. Here are a few of my favorites:
1. Use room temperature butter and margarine: It’s important to let your butter and margarine soften at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before using them. This will make it easier to cream them with the sugar and create a smooth dough.
2. Don’t overmix the dough: Once you add the flour to the wet ingredients, mix the dough until just combined. Overmixing can lead to tough cookies and a dry texture.
3. Chill the dough: After mixing, place the dough in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. This will allow it to firm up and make it easier to shape into balls.
4. Use a cookie scoop: To ensure each cookie is uniform in size, use a cookie scoop to portion out the dough.
5. Place a maraschino cherry inside each ball: For the signature cherry filling, make sure to place an entire maraschino cherry inside each ball of dough before baking.
6. Bake until just set: These cookies should be slightly soft in the center after baking. Don’t be tempted to leave them in for too long, or they may become dry.
7. Make a cherry glaze: For an extra burst of cherry flavor, mix some powdered sugar with maraschino cherry juice to create a simple glaze for drizzling over the finished cookies.
With these tips in mind, you’re sure to have the best vegan cherry bon-bon cookies around. Enjoy!
In conclusion, these vegan cherry bon-bon cookies are truly a divine treat that everyone should try. With their delicious combination of maraschino cherries and a delicate cake-like texture, they are sure to satisfy your sweet tooth any time of the year. Plus, this recipe is easy to make and can be customized to fit your preferences with substitutions and variations.
Whether you’re looking for a fun baking project during the holidays or just want to indulge in some sweet treats, these cherry bonbon cookies are definitely worth considering. So why not gather your ingredients and get baking? You won’t regret it!
Vegan Cherry Bon-Bon Cookies Recipe
For the cookie
- 1/2 cup margarine (Vegan option -- I use Earth Balance)
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar (yegan powdered sugar is available)
- 2 tablespoons original soymilk (elect almond milk if baking for someone with soy allergies)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 24 maraschino cherries (Merry Cherry brand as a non-GMO, non-dyed, vegan option)
For the icing
- 1 cup powdered sugar (elect vegan option)
- 1 tablespoon margarine (vegan Earth Balance)
- 2 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice (reserved from jar)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2. Drain maraschino cherries in a collander, reserving the liquid in a small cup, bowl or jar. Dry off cherries with a paper towel, tossing around to remove all excess juice that may gather at the bottom of the collander. Set aside.
- 3. In a large bowl, cream Earth Balance and vegan powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Add soymilk and vanilla extract. In a seperate bowl combine flour and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture.
- 4. Gather any loose moist crumbs with your hands and press together to form a ball of dough. Divide dough into 24 portions; shape each portion around a cherry. Try to handle lightly and as quick as possible to prevent your hands from getting greasy. Dough should fit around each cherry with no air bubbles inside. Pinch and smooth the dough together and roll around in palms. For a more perfect domed "bon-bon" shape, press cookie into a circle tablespoon, and remove gently to retain shape. Place onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- 5. Bake at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 6. For glaze, combine the powdered sugar, melted Earth Balance and cherry juice until smooth. Drizzle over cookies. Dust with additional powdered sugar if desired.
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Steven is a chef by heritage, so it’s no wonder why baking is such a big part of who he is. To share his passion for all things sweet, he created cookiesncrepes.com. It’s the perfect platform to indulge in delicious treats, all with a sprinkle of his signature flare.