Picture this – a cold winter evening, a cozy fireplace, and a warm, hearty bowl of soup. That’s what I have in store for you today with this Murphy’s Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe.
As a baker, I believe that comfort food should not just be limited to baked goods, but also extend to savory dishes that can make you feel at home. This recipe has been passed down from my mother’s recipe box and has been perfected over the years with inspiration from Murphy’s restaurant, Erma’s Tortilla, Claim Jumper and other popular Mexican cuisine spots.
This chicken tortilla soup is not only delicious but also nutritious with the addition of fresh corn, onions, carrots, and tomatoes. The blend of spices like chili powder and cumin gives it a distinct southwestern flavor that will fill your taste buds with warmth on even the coldest of days.
So grab your apron and let’s cook up some authentic chicken tortilla soup that will rival any spicy chicken or enchilada soup from your favorite Mexican spot – your taste buds will thank you.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
If you’re a fan of savory and spicy foods, then you’re in for a treat with Murphy’s Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe. This dish is packed with mouthwatering flavors that will leave your taste buds dancing in pure delight. Here are just a few reasons why you’ll fall in love with this recipe:
Firstly, this chicken tortilla soup recipe is incredibly easy to make. Whether you’re an experienced cook or just starting out, the step-by-step instructions will guide you through the entire process. Plus, with an instant pot chicken version available, you can whip up this soup quickly and easily.
Secondly, this soup is loaded with fresh, wholesome ingredients that will keep your body happy and healthy. The combination of juicy diced tomatoes, sweet corn kernels, and succulent chicken breasts create a power-packed meal that’s filling and satisfying.
Thirdly, the addition of Monterey Jack cheese and crispy tortilla strips add a wonderful texture and flavor to the soup. It provides an extra bit of crunch to every spoonful that simply adds more depth to this already delicious dish.
Last but not least, this chicken tortilla soup is versatile enough to be customized according to your preferences. You can adjust the spice level to your liking by adding more or less chili powder or ground cumin. If you’re a vegetarian or prefer a specific type of protein like shrimp or beef, simply make substitutions as needed.
In conclusion, Murphy’s Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe has something for everyone. From the ease of preparation to the abundance of delicious flavors and textures, there’s no doubt that this recipe will become one of your favorites. So what are you waiting for? Pull out those pots and pans and get cooking!
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make Murphy’s Chicken Tortilla Soup:
For the soup:
- 4 tbsp sweet butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 Anaheim chili, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels (2 ears)
- 2 cans (14.5-ounce) diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- Tortilla strips or chips
- Grated Monterey Jack cheese
- Chopped cilantro
The ingredients for this Chicken Tortilla Soup are fairly simple and easy to find. Most of them can be found in your local grocery store, but if you’re struggling to locate any of them you can always shop online. Once you’ve gathered all the necessary items, let’s move on to the recipe instructions.
The Recipe How-To
Here’s how to make Murphy’s Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe in your own kitchen just like at Murphy’s Restaurant.
Step 1: Cooking the Chicken
Begin with cooking around 1.5 – 2 pounds of chicken breasts or thighs until it is cooked through but still moist. You can use a rotisserie chicken, leftover baked chicken or the homemade chicken using the recipe from
Mother Recipe Box. Shred or chop the cooked chicken into bite-sized pieces.
Step 2: Making the Base
Instant Pot, melt 4 tbsp sweet butter over medium heat. Add 1 cup diced onion and stir continuously for about 2 minutes. Then add 2 cloves minced garlic and stir for another minute.
Step 3: Adding Vegetables
Add in 1 diced carrot and saute for a minute. Then mix in 2 cups fresh corn kernels, 1 Anaheim chili, diced, and saute until it turns tender.
Step 4: Spicing up with Herbs
Stir in 1 tsp dried oregano, ½ tsp chili powder , and ½ tsp ground cumin (or more if you prefer a spicier soup). Mix well.
Step 5: Adding Broth and Chicken
Next, add 6 cups of chicken broth, followed by the shredded chicken you had prepared earlier.
Step 6: Adding Tomatoes Green Chilis & Fresh Corn Kernels
two cans of
14.5 oz diced tomatoes with green chilis, as well as corn kernels (
2 tbsp) for extra flavor.
Step 7: Simmering and Serving
Simmer for around 15-20 minutes, so all flavors come together nicely.
Serve hot, topped with a handful of tortilla strips, some chopped cilantro, and shredded Monterey Jack Cheese for that authentic tortilla soup experience!
Substitutions and Variations
Murphy’s Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe is a perfect recipe for those who want to have a delicious and hearty meal. This soup recipe can be altered to match your preferences by making simple changes to its ingredients.
– Cheese: If you don’t have Monterey Jack cheese on hand, you can substitute it with cheddar or any other type of cheese you like.
– Anaheim chili: In case you can’t find Anaheim chili in your local store, use poblano or jalapeno peppers instead.
– Sweet butter: You can use regular butter or any other type of fat, such as olive oil or coconut oil, in this recipe.
– Corn: Fresh corn kernels are ideal, but canned or frozen corn works perfectly fine too.
– Spicy chicken tortilla soup: To give it a spicy kick, add more chili powder or diced green chilis. You may also use spicy enchilada sauce instead of tomato sauce and add cayenne pepper for an extra heat.
– Vegetarian version: Skip the chicken and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth to create a vegetarian version of the soup. Add extra beans or vegetables like zucchinis or mushrooms for protein and flavor.
– Rotisserie chicken tortilla soup: Use rotisserie chicken instead of cooking the chicken breasts. Shred cooked chicken and add at the end of the recipe so it will not overcook and dry out.
– Authentic chicken tortilla soup: Corn tortillas are normally used in making traditional Mexican dishes. Instead of using store-bought tortilla chips, cut corn tortillas into strips and fry them until crispy. Serve them separately with the soup to add an authentic flair to the dish
Now that you know the substitutions and variations you can do on this recipe, let your creativity shine by experimenting with these possibilities.
Serving and Pairing
Serving Murphy’s Chicken Tortilla Soup is simple and straightforward. Ladle a generous amount of the hot, savory soup into bowls and top each serving with crispy tortilla strips, chopped cilantro, and shredded Monterey Jack cheese. It’s a hearty dish that requires no side dishes to complete the meal.
However, if you’d like to add something extra, I recommend pairing it with a nice green salad topped with creamy avocado and juicy tomatoes. The fresh flavors of the salad will add an extra zest that complements the richness of the soup.
As for beverages, this chicken tortilla soup pairs deliciously with a cold beer, especially a lager or pilsner. If you prefer wine, a light-bodied red such as Pinot Noir or Merlot would make an excellent choice. Or, for a non-alcoholic option, try pairing it with a glass of hibiscus iced tea.
If you’re having guests over, consider serving this spicy chicken dish with sides of guacamole, salsa, and freshly fried chips for dipping. And don’t forget the hot sauce for those who prefer their food spicy!
With all these complementary flavors and textures combined, your guests are sure to enjoy every last spoonful of this authentic chicken tortilla soup.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
The beauty of a hearty soup like Murphy’s Chicken Tortilla Soup is that it can be made ahead of time and reheated without sacrificing flavor or texture. This is especially convenient for busy weeknights when you don’t have the luxury of starting from scratch.
To make this recipe ahead of time, simply refrigerate the soup in an airtight container once it has cooled down completely. It will keep well in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. When you’re ready to serve, reheat the soup on the stovetop over medium-low heat until it’s heated through.
If you plan to freeze the soup, keep in mind that some ingredients may not freeze well. The tortilla chips and cilantro are best added right before serving to maintain their texture and flavor. To freeze, let the soup cool down completely and pour it into a freezer-safe container. It will keep well frozen for up to 2-3 months. When you’re ready to enjoy it, thaw the soup overnight in the refrigerator, then reheat on the stovetop over medium heat.
When reheating, be sure to stir regularly to prevent burning or sticking. If the soup appears too thick or has lost some of its liquid during storage, simply add a splash of chicken broth or water until it reaches your desired consistency.
With these handy tips, you can make Murphy’s Chicken Tortilla Soup ahead of time, store it properly, and reheat it with ease whenever you’re craving its comforting and delicious flavors.
Tips for Perfect Results
Cooking chicken tortilla soup can be a delicate operation. As with any recipe, there are tips and tricks to ensure perfect results every time. Here are some helpful tips to get you closer to that perfect batch of soup:
1. Don’t Overcook the Chicken – The key to tender and juicy chicken is to not overcook it. When using chicken thighs, cook them until the internal temperature reaches 165°F. For diced chicken breasts, add them to the soup during the last 10 minutes of cooking.
2. Adding Tortilla Strips – Top the soup with tortilla strips for a delicious crunch. To make your own tortilla strips, cut corn tortillas into thin strips and fry in hot oil until golden brown and crispy.
3. Use Fresh Ingredients – For the best flavor, always use fresh ingredients.
4. Customize Your Spices – Adjust the spice level in the recipe by adding more or less chili powder, oregano or cumin according to your preference.
5. Garnish with Cilantro – A handful of chopped fresh cilantro adds bright flavor to your chicken tortilla soup.
6. Serve with Monterey Jack Cheese – Monterey Jack cheese blends well with this soup recipe’s spices and flavors. Grate it fresh and add a dollop on top of each bowl.
7. Store Soup Separately from Toppings – Keep tortilla chips, cilantro, cheese and other toppings separate from the soup when storing leftovers so that they don’t get soggy.
8. Keep an Eye on Salt Levels – Be mindful when salting the soup as both chicken broth and tortilla strips often contain salt.
By following these tips and tricks, you’ll have a delicious and flavorful chicken tortilla soup that everyone will love!
As you gear up to give this Murphy’s Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe a try in your kitchen, it’s natural to have some questions or concerns. Fear not, for in this section, we will take a look at some frequently asked questions regarding this soup recipe and provide all the answers you need for maximum success.
Is Chicken Tortilla Soup good for you?
Looking for a healthier soup option that’s still bursting with flavor? Try this chicken tortilla soup! Unlike some heavier soups, this recipe is light and won’t leave you feeling weighed down. The combination of enchilada sauce, spices, and green chilis creates a delicious taste that the whole family will love.
How long will Chicken Tortilla Soup Keep in refrigerator?
As your baker’s assistant, I am here to guide you on how to store your delicious chicken tortilla soup. To keep your soup fresh and tasty, it is important to store it in airtight containers. You can store your soup in the refrigerator for about 5 to 7 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months. Additionally, any leftover tortilla strips can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Follow these tips to ensure your soup stays perfect for future meals.
What can I use to thicken tortilla soup?
Thickening up your soup can be easily achieved with the addition of a thickening agent such as a roux, cornstarch, masa, or different types of flour like potato flour, tapioca flour or arrowroot flour. Want to avoid the extra calories and carbs? Simply let your soup cook down naturally and the broth will thicken up on its own.
What is Chicken Tortilla Soup made of?
The chicken tortilla soup is a classic and genuine Mexican cuisine. Typically, the soup is prepared with chicken broth, tomatoes, garlic, onions, chiles, and crispy tortilla pieces, though variations exist, such as variations that include beans.
In conclusion, Murphy’s Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe is not only delicious but incredibly easy to make. With its flavorful and spicy ingredients, this soup is perfect for any occasion or craving. Whether you’re looking for a warm bowl of comfort on a chilly night, or a light lunch that will fill you up, the Murphy’s Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe will deliver on flavor and satisfaction.
This recipe is also incredibly versatile, allowing for substitutions and variations to suit your personal taste preferences or dietary needs. You can easily switch up the protein by using chicken thighs, rotisserie chicken or even go vegetarian by substituting the chicken with beans. And if you want a milder soup, just skip the green chilis.
Serve it up with some crispy tortilla strips and shredded Monterey Jack cheese on top for an added crunch and creaminess.
The best part of this soup recipe is that it can be made in advance and stored in the fridge or freezer for a quick meal during the week. So next time you’re meal prepping, add Murphy’s Chicken Tortilla Soup to your list.
In short, if you want to impress your guests with an authentic and flavorful Mexican-inspired dish, give Murphy’s Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe a try. You won’t regret it!
Murphy’s Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons sweet butter
- 4 garlic cloves, Minced
- 1 cup onion, Diced
- 1/2 cup carrot, Diced
- 1/2 cup anaheim chili, Seeded, Chopped Fine
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1/2 cups tomatoes, Diced
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 bunch cilantro, Chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chicken, Diced
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt (to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, Freshly Ground
- 1 cup tortilla chips, Broken into small pieces
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, Grated
- Cut raw kernels off corn cob with a sharp knife.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over moderate heat, add the garlic, onion, corn, carrots, and Anaheim chili.
- Cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent.
- Stir in the cumin, chili powder, and oregano.
- Continue stirring another minute to toast the spices.
- Add the tomatoes, stock, cilantro, and chicken, bring mixture to a boil, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, distribute the broken tortilla chips equally in the bottom of soup bowls.
- Ladle the soup over tortilla chips.
- Garnish each bowl with a tablespoon of cheese.
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Steven is a chef by heritage, so it’s no wonder why baking is such a big part of who he is. To share his passion for all things sweet, he created cookiesncrepes.com. It’s the perfect platform to indulge in delicious treats, all with a sprinkle of his signature flare.