Satisfy Your Cravings with Delicious Chicken Tortilla Soup
Are you in search of a soul-warming and hearty soup that bursts with Tex-Mex flavors? If yes, then you are in for a treat today! This recipe for Chicken Tortilla Soup is the answer to all your cravings!
Spicy chicken broth with a creamy, tomato base, the soup has tender shredded chicken meat, corn tortillas, and lots of spices. The best part about this soup? It’s incredibly easy to make! Even if you are not an expert cook, you can still cook up one of the best Chicken Tortilla soups that you’ll ever have.
This soup recipe is very similar to the delicious Houston’s Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe. So if you have had it before and loved it, buckle up because this recipe will remind you of Houston’s Tortilla Soup.
Get ready to indulge in every sip of this delicious and quick-to-make soup recipe that pairs perfectly with crunchy corn tortilla chips or tortilla strips. This soup will transport your taste buds on a flavorful journey to Tex-Mex heaven!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you in search of a hearty and easy-to-make meal that will satisfy your taste buds and warm you up from the inside out? Look no further than this delicious Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe, inspired by Houston’s!
This soup is bursting with flavor, thanks to the blend of diced tomatoes, Ro-Tel tomatoes, chicken broth, and a variety of spices including garlic powder, onion, salt, and pepper. The recipe also calls for diced carrots, celery, and onions to add even more depth of flavor.
But what really sets this soup apart are the toppings. Top your creamy chicken tortilla soup with crunchy corn tortilla chips or strips, shredded Monterey Jack cheese, and chopped fresh cilantro for an unmatched texture and explosion of flavor.
But don’t just take my word for it – this soup has received rave reviews from foodies all over. You’ll love the combination of Tex-Mex flavors that make it perfect for any time of year. Whether you enjoy it on a cold winter evening or on a cool summer night, this flavorful and spicy chicken enchilada soup will be sure to hit the spot.
So what are you waiting for? Try out this Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe now – you won’t be disappointed!
Before starting with the recipe, it’s essential to have all the ingredients for Chicken Tortilla Soup. Here is what you will need:
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 cup of diced onion
- 1 cup of diced celery
- 1 cup of diced carrot
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- 2 cans of Ro-Tel tomatoes and green chilies
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes (14.5 oz each)
- Salt, pepper to taste
- 3 cups of cooked chicken, shredded or diced
- Monterey jack cheese (grated)
- Corn tortilla chips or strips
Make sure that you have these items in your pantry, refrigerator, or grocery list. It is crucial to use fresh and natural products that will enhance the flavor and taste of the soup.
The Recipe How-To
Now, it’s time to put all the ingredients together and create the delicious chicken tortilla soup you’ve been dreaming of. This recipe is straightforward and great for those who are new to cooking. Don’t worry about messing up; It will be just perfect in taste, flavor, and texture.
Step 1: Prepare the Vegetables
Firstly, in a large pot, heat one cup of vegetable oil over medium heat. Then add the diced onion, celery, and carrot. Saute the vegetables until they become soft and translucent. Add in your garlic powder and stir for another 20 seconds.
Step 2: Add the Chicken
Add 4 cups of chicken broth to your pot with your vegetables. Now it’s time to add your chicken breast. Use the best-quality chicken you can find, as it will significantly impact the soup’s overall taste and texture. Once added, let it cook throughout until fully cooked for approximately 20-30 minutes.
Step 3: Adding Tomatoes
Once your chicken is cooked, take it out of the pot and let cool for a few minutes before shredding it or cutting it into small pieces.
Meanwhile, add diced tomatoes along with Ro-Tel tomatoes (tomatoes with green chilies) to the pot, and let them simmer for about five minutes.
Step 4: Milk and Cheese are not Optional!
The next step is to pour one cup of milk into your pot along with Monterey Jack Cheese. Stir continuously until cheese becomes completely melted.
Step 5: Tortillas!
For this step, preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Cut corn tortillas into small strips or use pre-made tortilla chips depending on your preference. Pour these tortillas onto a baking sheet and bake them in the oven for about ten minutes or until they are crispy.
Step 6: Time to serve!
Finally, put all of these together in a bowl! Place the crispy corn tortilla strips on top along with some shredded cheese if desired.
That’s it! Your chicken tortilla soup is ready. Enjoy this delicious meal alone or pair it up with some flour tortillas, cornbread muffins or perhaps a salad. You can also top it with some sour cream or freshly diced avocado.
Substitutions and Variations
The Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe is already amazing, but it’s always fun to add a creative spin to it. Don’t have all the ingredients listed? No problem, here are some substitutions and variations to try out:
– Tortilla: Instead of using corn tortillas, you can use flour tortillas or even add tortilla strips for extra crunch.
– Cheese: Monterey Jack cheese can be replaced with any type of shredded cheese of your choice, like cheddar or pepper jack.
– Tomatoes: Ro-Tel or diced tomatoes can be substituted for fresh ones. Get creative and use different types of canned tomatoes like fire-roasted, Italian-style or with green chiles.
– Chicken: This recipe specifically calls for chicken breast, but feel free to substitute with rotisserie chicken, chicken thighs or even shredded leftover turkey.
– Vegetables: Carrots, celery and onions create a delicious flavor in the soup, but if you’re missing one of these ingredients don’t fret! You can use any vegetables you have on hand like bell peppers, zucchini or kale.
– Spice Level: If you prefer your soup less spicy or with more heat, adjust the amount of chili powder or add red pepper flakes for an extra kick.
– Creaminess: The creaminess in this soup comes from the addition of milk. If you want a thicker consistency, replace milk with heavy cream or sour cream.
By making these changes to the recipe, you can customize and create your own version of the Chicken Tortilla Soup. Give it a tex-mex twist by turning it into an enchilada soup with tomato sauce and spices. Or make it creamy by adding a dollop of cream cheese or pureeing some of the vegetables before adding them to the pot. With endless options, feel free to experiment and make the best Chicken Tortilla Soup that suits your taste buds.
Serving and Pairing
This delicious Chicken Tortilla Soup is a perfect meal on its own, but it can also be served with a variety of accompaniments to enhance the flavors and complement the dish. The classic way to serve this soup is with some corn tortilla chips or tortilla strips, which provide an extra crunch and texture to the soup. You can also add a dollop of sour cream, some fresh cilantro, or a sprinkle of shredded Monterey Jack cheese on top.
If you want to make a hearty meal out of it, serve the soup with some warm flour tortillas or bread rolls. The soup pairs well with a light salad or steamed vegetables such as broccoli or green beans. If you’re looking for a Tex-Mex twist to the meal, try serving some spicy chicken enchiladas on the side.
If you’re planning to serve this soup at your next party, consider setting up a “soup bar” with all the toppings and accompaniments laid out for your guests to choose from. This will allow each person to customize their bowl of soup according to their taste preferences.
To drink, pair this soup with some light and refreshing beverages such as lemonade or iced tea. Alternatively, you can go for a classic beer pairing such as an amber ale or lager.
No matter how you decide to serve and pair this chicken tortilla soup recipe, it is sure to be a crowd-pleaser that will leave your taste buds begging for more.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
(7) Planning ahead is an excellent way to reduce stress when entertaining guests, which is why the Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe is perfect for make-ahead meals. The soup can be cooked in advance and refrigerated or frozen until needed. When reheating, bring it to a boil, add a splash of chicken broth, and adjust the seasoning as necessary.
To store properly, allow the soup to cool completely to room temperature before placing it into an airtight container. It will last about 3-4 days in the refrigerator or up to 3 months in the freezer.
When ready to reheat your stored soup, there are a few options that you can choose from. The microwave is quick and easy, but it’s best to reheat it on the stovetop for better results. Place the soup in a medium pot, add additional chicken broth or water if desired, and heat until steaming hot.
It’s important to note that the tortilla strips shouldn’t be added until right before serving as they might soften and become soggy over time once exposed to the liquid of the soup. So store them separately from the soup in an airtight container.
Overall, make-ahead meals have never been easier with this delicious Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe that can warm up your stomach anytime!
Tips for Perfect Results
To achieve the perfect taste and texture for your chicken tortilla soup, here are some tips and recommendations that you can follow.
1. Use homemade chicken broth or low-sodium store-bought broth: Chicken broth is one of the main ingredients in this recipe, so using a quality one will make a big difference in the final product. I recommend either making your own chicken broth or using a low-sodium store-bought variety to control the saltiness of your soup.
2. Enhance the flavor with garlic and onion: Garlic and onion add depth and richness to the soup’s flavor profile. Take the time to sauté them until fragrant before adding them to the pot with other ingredients.
3. Don’t overcook the veggies: Make sure to dice your vegetables into small, uniform pieces to ensure they cook evenly. However, be careful not to overcook them. You want them to be slightly tender but still have a bit of bite.
4. Shred the chicken: The chicken is the star of the dish, so shredding it into bite-size pieces will make it easier to eat and distribute throughout the soup.
5. Add toppings: To take your soup to the next level, top it off with corn tortilla chips or strips, shredded Monterey Jack cheese, chopped cilantro, diced avocado, or a dollop of sour cream.
By following these tips and making small adjustments along the way based on personal preference, you can create an unforgettable bowl of delicious Tex-Mex inspired Chicken Tortilla Soup that will rival any restaurant’s version!
Now let’s move on to the Frequently Asked Questions or FAQs, which will help answer any doubts or questions you may have before giving this recipe a try.
Is Taco Soup same as tortilla soup?
When it comes to comparing tortilla soup and taco soup, there are some notable differences between them. While both soups share some similarities, tortilla soup typically features a thin consistency and a broth-and-tomato-base, while taco soup is a heartier, thicker soup with a consistency similar to chili.
What is Chicken Tortilla Soup made of?
The origins of chicken tortilla soup can be traced back to Mexico where it is an authentic dish. The classic recipe combines chicken broth, garlic, onion, chilies, and tomatoes with crispy tortilla strips. Additionally, there are numerous adaptations of this dish, including some with added beans.
Does Campbell soup make a tortilla soup?
This recipe is not related to Campbell’s Chunky Soup with Grilled White Meat Chicken. It is a completely different recipe that focuses on making a homemade chicken tortilla soup.
Is tortilla soup Mexican or American?
Originating from Mexico, tortilla soup, also known as “sopa de tortilla” in Spanish, is a classic soup dish made by incorporating fried corn tortilla pieces into a flavorful broth consisting of tomato, garlic, onion, chile de árbol, and epazote.
In conclusion, there’s no better way to warm up and satisfy your taste buds than a bowl of Chicken Tortilla Soup. This recipe, which is quite similar to the famous Houston’s soup, will become your favorite in no time. It’s creamy, spicy, and bursting with layers of flavor thanks to its delicious ingredients such as Ro-Tel tomatoes, Monterrey jack cheese, and corn tortillas.
With this recipe on your side, you’ll be able to recreate the best-tasting chicken tortilla soup you’ve ever had at home. Not only is it easy and quick to make, but it’s also flexible and adaptable for various dietary lifestyles. Whether you prefer vegetarian or gluten-free options, this soup can easily be adjusted to meet your needs.
Additionally, consider adding fresh avocado slices or some tangy lime juice on top of your soup as a topping that could take it to its next level of deliciousness. Don’t forget some crunched-up corn tortilla chips for an extra crunch!
So next time the weather outside turns chilly or you’re craving a warm and comforting meal, give this Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe a try. You won’t regret it!
Chicken Tortilla Soup (Similar to Houston’s) Recipe
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can Ro-Tel tomatoes, diced
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet taco seasoning
- 10 small soft corn tortillas
- 12 ounces cooked chicken, shredded or diced
- 8 ounces shredded monterey jack cheese, divided
- 1 cup milk
- corn tortilla chips, broken into small pieces
- Saute carrots, celery, onions, salt, pepper, and garlic powder in oil until tender.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the tomatoes, Ro-tel tomatoes, taco seasoning, and chicken.
- Cut soft tortillas into small pieces and add to the broth mixture (My suggestion is to start with 6-8 tortillas and add more if you would like thicker soup).
- Let boil for 20 minutes or until tortillas are incorparated into the soup.
- Stir occasionally to keep the soup from sticking as it thickens.
- Reduce heat and add 6 oz cheese.
- Simmer for additional 10 minutes.
- Add milk and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Serve with shredded cheese and corn tortilla chips on top.
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Steven is a chef by heritage, so it’s no wonder why baking is such a big part of who he is. To share his passion for all things sweet, he created cookiesncrepes.com. It’s the perfect platform to indulge in delicious treats, all with a sprinkle of his signature flare.