Get ready to embark on a journey of flavor with the El Torito Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe. This delicious and hearty soup is perfect for any occasion and will satisfy even the most discerning palates.
Made with fresh cilantro leaves, avocados, Monterey Jack cheese, corn tortillas, lime juice, and spices like cumin and Mexican oregano, this soup packs a punch of flavor in every bite. It’s a staple at El Torito restaurants but now you can make it from the comfort of your own home.
Not only does this soup taste great, but it’s also easy to make. With a little bit of patience and some ingredients that you can easily find at your local grocery store, you’ll have this dish on the table in no time. Whether you’re entertaining guests or looking for something to warm your soul on a chilly day, look no further than the El Torito Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe.
So put on your apron and get ready to impress your friends and family with this restaurant-quality dish. Get your tastebuds ready because they’re about to go on a wild ride with the flavors of El Torito chicken tortilla soup!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Foodies and culinary enthusiasts, this recipe article is for you! Let me tell you about El Torito Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe, an irresistible savory delight that will soon become one of your go-to comfort foods.
This recipe brings a fusion of flavors and textures that merge harmoniously in every spoonful. It’s hearty, spicy, and aromatic with a touch of sweetness that makes it addictive.
Now, imagine savoring the perfect blend of fresh cilantro leaves, avocados, Monterey Jack cheese, and corn tortillas in every bite. Picture your taste buds tingle as the soup warms your soul with the sweetness of the sherry wine and a hint of tang from the lime juice.
Moreover, this recipe has the perfect balance of heat from the chipotle chile in adobo and garlic cloves. The seasoning of dried Mexican oregano and cumin adds an earthy flavor to it while the sweet red bell pepper and zucchini provide subtle hints of sweetness.
The consistency is just right, not too thick or too runny- just perfect to hold onto those crispy tortilla strips on top. I guarantee that this soup will satisfy your cravings for a hearty and scrumptious dish.
If all these flavors aren’t enough to convince you yet, wait until you try it paired with grilled chicken or a salad at Torito Grill or Claim Jumper! This soup makes you feel like being in an open air Mexican restaurant sipping on mimosas on a sunny day.
In conclusion, El Torito Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe is a superb comfort food that fulfills your appetite for flavorsome and nutritious meals to perfection. Don’t miss your chance to indulge yourself in this deliciousness; trust me; you won’t regret it!
Check your pantry before heading to the grocery store, you might already have many of these ingredients in your kitchen. This list is for 6 servings, adjust accordingly.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 quart (4 cups) chicken broth
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 boiling potato, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, drained and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and white pepper, to taste
- Juice of 1 lime
- Tortilla strips for serving
- For garnish: fresh cilantro leaves, diced avocado, diced Monterey Jack cheese
Notes on specific ingredients
The tastier the chicken you use, the tastier your soup will be. [Optional] Marinate your chicken overnight with Mexican-inspired seasoning or grilled it beforehand for some smoky flavor.
Chipotle Chile in Adobo:
Chipotle chiles are smoke-dried jalapeño peppers that impart a deep smoky flavor to any dish. They often come canned in adobo sauce which further enhances its complex flavor profile.
Mexican oregano is a pungent herb often used in Mexican cuisine. It has a slightly more earthy flavor than Mediterranean oregano.
Replace carrot with sweet bell pepper for a sweeter flavor profile. Use zucchini or fresh corn kernels if you prefer them over diced potatoes.
Go all out with diced avocados and shredded cheese but don’t forget to sprinkle on some cilantro and add a squeeze of lime for brightness. Serve it all up with crispy tortilla strips on top of each soup bowl.
The Recipe How-To
Step 1 -Boil the Chicken Breast
- Take boneless, skinless chicken breasts and add them to a pot of boiling chicken broth with cups of water.
- Add the diced red onion, bay leaf, garlic and a little bit of salt to enhance flavor.
Step 2 -Cook thoroughly
- Let the chicken breasts cook in the simmering broth for 15-20 minutes until tender and no longer pink inside.
- Remove the chicken from pot using tongs or a slotted spoon and place it on a cutting board to cool for several minutes.
Step 3 -Dice Chicken Breast
- Use a sharp knife to dice the cooled chicken breasts into small bite-sized pieces.
Making the Soup
Step 1 -Combining Ingredients
- In a stockpot, combine 4 cups of chicken broth, diced zucchini, tomatoes and carrots.
- Add in cup of diced red onion, tomato paste, garlic cloves, bay leaf, chipotle chile in adobo sauce, dried Mexican oregano and ground cumin. Season everything with salt and white pepper to taste.
Step 2 -Cooking
- Bring everything to a boil over high heat then adjust the heat to low and let it simmer for 25 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
Step 3 -Mixing In The Chicken & Lime Juice
- Stir in your diced chicken along with a cup of fresh corn tortillas strips into your soup mixture.
- Pour in quarter cup sweet sherry (optional).
- Combine four cups of fresh cilantro leaves and seeds of one chipotle chile before blending them with lime juice. Add this mixture to your soup pot while stirring well.
Step 4 -Garnish prior To Serving
- Serve hot with somegrilled chicken or crispy tortilla strips.
That’s it! Now you can enjoy your very flavorful El Torito Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe.
Substitutions and Variations
Are you feeling adventurous and want to put your own spin on this El Torito Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe? Here are some substitutions and variations you can try to make this recipe even more tantalizing to your taste buds.
Let’s start with the main ingredient – the boneless, skinless chicken breasts. If you’re not a fan of chicken, you can swap it out for shrimp, turkey, or even beef. You can also grill your chicken for a smoky flavor or use shredded chicken for an even heartier soup.
If you’re looking for a vegetarian option, try swapping out the chicken broth with vegetable broth and adding some sautéed mushrooms for an earthy flavor. You can also add some black beans for some protein and fiber.
For a spicy kick, add more chipotle chile in adobo or jalapeno chiles. Or if you prefer a milder taste, skip the chilies altogether and add diced green bell peppers instead.
Don’t have all the ingredients on hand? No problem! You can substitute fresh cilantro leaves with fresh mint or even parsley. You can also swap out the red onion with white onion or shallots.
Want to play around with toppings? You can switch out the corn tortillas with tortilla chips or try different cheeses like queso blanco or crumbled cotija cheese.
The possibilities are endless when it comes to making variations of this El Torito Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe. Get creative and have fun experimenting with new flavors!
Serving and Pairing
This El Torito Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe is a hearty and flavorful soup that pairs well with a variety of sides and complements. You can serve it as a satisfying main course for lunch or dinner or as an appetizer with other Mexican-inspired dishes.
To add some crunch to the soup, garnish it with homemade, crispy tortilla strips made from corn tortillas. It’ll complement the spicy and smoky flavors of the soup wonderfully. You can also top it off with fresh cilantro leaves, diced avocados, and Monterey Jack cheese to give it a creamy texture, tangy taste, and satisfying cheesy flavor.
If you prefer to have more greens on your plate, you can serve it with a simple salad made with crisp lettuce, juicy tomatoes, fresh bell peppers, and some mixed greens topped off with a lime vinaigrette.
For those who are looking for a heartier meal, consider pairing this delicious El Torito Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe with some grilled chicken breast or steak for a complete meal that’ll make your taste buds sing.
And to wash it all down, try sipping on some chilled sweet sherry or a refreshing mint and lime spritzer. They’re perfect accompaniments that highlight the bold flavors of the soup while providing a cool refreshment.
Overall, this El Torito Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe is versatile in its pairings and serves as the perfect meal all year round.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
When it comes to preparing the El Torito Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe, there are a few things you can do ahead of time to ensure a stress-free experience. To start with, you can cook the boneless, skinless chicken breasts ahead of time and store them in an airtight container in the fridge until you’re ready to use them in the soup.
You can also make the tortilla strips ahead of time and store them in an airtight container or plastic bag until needed. However, be sure to keep them at room temperature to preserve their crispy texture.
In terms of storing leftover soup, you can keep it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. If you plan on freezing it for later, consider leaving out the tortilla strips as they may get soggy once thawed.
To reheat the soup, simply transfer it to a pot and heat over medium-low heat until heated through. You can also reheat individual portions in the microwave by placing them in a microwave-safe dish and heating on high for 1-2 minutes.
Overall, with its hearty ingredients and comforting flavors, El Torito Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe is perfect for making ahead for future meals or storing leftovers for later.
Tips for Perfect Results
If you want to ensure that your El Torito Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe turns out perfect, here are some useful tips to follow.
1. Use fresh ingredients: Fresh ingredients such as cilantro, lime juice, and avocados add a burst of flavor to the soup. So make sure you use them instead of canned or preserved alternatives for the best results.
2. Adjust seasonings to your taste: Everyone’s palate is different, so don’t be afraid to adjust the seasoning to your liking by adding more salt, pepper or cumin, for example.
3. Don’t overcook the chicken: Overcooking the chicken can result in a tough and dry texture. Cook it until it is just done and tender.
4. Make homemade tortilla strips: Homemade tortilla strips will add a wonderful crunch to your El Torito Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe. Cut corn tortillas into thin strips and fry them in hot oil until golden brown and crispy.
5. Add some heat: If you like your soup with some heat, add some diced jalapeño peppers, additional chipotle chili in adobo, or even red pepper flakes.
6. Let the soup sit for a while before serving: The flavors in this soup develop even more when they have time to sit and mingle for a bit. If possible, let the soup sit for at least half an hour before serving.
7. Garnish generously: This soup is all about layers of textures and flavors. So don’t hold back on toppings like shredded cheese, diced avocado, fresh cilantro leaves, or lime wedges.
Follow these tips and you’ll have a deliciously satisfying El Torito Chicken Tortilla Soup that will impress everyone at the table!
As we conclude this article, it’s important to address some common questions and concerns that might pop up as you prepare this El Torito Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe. Below, we’ve answered some frequently asked questions to ensure that your cooking experience is seamless and successful. So let’s dive in!
What is Chicken Tortilla Soup made of?
The roots of chicken tortilla soup trace back to Mexico, where it’s a popular and authentic dish. The classic recipe consists of key ingredients such as chicken broth, garlic, onion, tomatoes, chiles, and crispy tortilla strips. However, there are other versions of this soup incorporating additional ingredients like beans.
Is Chicken Tortilla Soup good for you?
Are you tired of soups that leave you feeling overly stuffed and weighed down? Look no further than this chicken tortilla soup recipe, which is a light and healthy option that everyone in your family can enjoy. Don’t let the healthy aspect fool you, though- the mix of spices, green chilis, and enchilada sauce makes this soup absolutely delicious!
How long will Chicken Tortilla Soup Keep in refrigerator?
Storing chicken tortilla soup doesn’t have to be a hassle. With these simple steps, you can keep your delicious soup fresh and tasty for days or even months to come. First off, make sure to store the soup in an airtight container in the fridge, where it can last for 5 to 7 days. If you’re looking to store it for longer, the freezer is your best bet, where it can keep for up to 6 months. Don’t forget about those extra tortilla strips, which can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
How do you thicken tortilla soup?
To enhance the depth of flavor in the broth, it is advisable to include additional ingredients that will make it heartier. Moreover, one can also add a thickening agent that can be in the form of a roux, cornstarch, masa, or other types of flour such as potato flour, tapioca flour, or arrowroot flour to attain the desired texture.
In conclusion, the El Torito Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe is a must-try for anyone who loves bold and comforting flavors. With its combination of tender chicken, fresh vegetables, and fragrant spices, this soup is both hearty and delicious. So whether you’re looking for a new weeknight dinner recipe or something to spice up your next dinner party, this soup is sure to impress.
Plus, with its many variations and substitutions, you can easily make it your own and tailor it to your tastes. Top it with some fresh cilantro leaves, slices of creamy avocado, or melty Monterey Jack cheese. Or serve it alongside some warm corn tortillas for an even heartier meal.
So what are you waiting for? Head to the kitchen and whip up a batch of this tasty soup today! You won’t regret it. And if you need more inspiration, be sure to check out other great El Torito recipes on sites like Yummly or even visit one of their restaurants to experience the full flavor of their tortilla soups in person. Trust us; you won’t be disappointed!
El Torito Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 quarts chicken broth
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 boiling potato, diced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile in adobo, pureed
- 1 teaspoon pickled jalapeno pepper, chile seeded chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- salt, to taste
- white pepper, to taste
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 yellow squash, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 lime, juice of
- 2 tablespoons sweet sherry (preferably Harvey's Bristol Cream)
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of fresh mint, chopped
- 4 corn tortillas (cut into thin strips)
- 1/2 lb monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 8 slices avocados
- fresh cilantro leaves
- Poach chicken breast in simmering chicken broth until done through, about 10 minutes.
- Set aside until cool enough to handle and shred.
- Combine chicken broth, chicken, red onion, carrots, potato, tomato paste, bay leaf, garlic, chipotle and jalapeno chilies, oregano, cumin and salt and pepper in large saucepan.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Correct seasoning, if necessary.
- Add zucchini, squash, pepper, lime juice and Sherry.
- Bring again to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add cilantro and mint.
- Stir, then remove from heat.
- To assemble, fry tortilla strips in hot oil until crisp. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
- Ladle soup into each bowl.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese and tortilla strips.
- Garnish each bowl with avocado slice and sprig cilantro. Serve at once.
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Steven is a chef by heritage, so it’s no wonder why baking is such a big part of who he is. To share his passion for all things sweet, he created cookiesncrepes.com. It’s the perfect platform to indulge in delicious treats, all with a sprinkle of his signature flare.