As you take your first whiff of these Mrs. Fields Banana Nut Cookies, you’ll instantly recognize the sweet aroma of ripe bananas and roasted walnuts melding together with the warm scent of fresh, homemade cookies baking in the oven. The second you take a bite into these delights, you’ll experience a dance of flavors that will leave your taste buds begging for more.
Mrs. Fields, the master baker who popularized her eponymous cookie empire over 40 years ago, has perfected the art of cookie-making using a secret recipe that’s coveted by millions around the world. These Banana Nut Cookies are one of her signature creations that showcase the abundance of flavors and textures that make her cookies so irresistible.
In this recipe article, I’m going to show you how to create these cookies from scratch, step-by-step. Whether you’re a seasoned baker or someone who’s never stepped foot in the kitchen before, this delicious recipe is easy to follow and yields sensational results.
So grab your apron, whip out your mixing bowl and get ready to embark on a journey of mouth-watering bliss with Mrs. Fields Banana Nut Cookies!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
I don’t want to oversell this recipe, but let me tell you: Mrs. Fields Banana Nut Cookies are a real game-changer. Forget the ordinary oatmeal cookies or even the classic chocolate chip ones. These heavenly bites of banana nut goodness will make your taste buds sing and your heart skip a beat.
What’s great about these cookies is how well they combine the richness of nuts and butter with the moistness of ripe bananas. The consistency is tender, yet not too soft, which makes it perfect for dunking into a glass of milk or coffee.
But that’s not all! These cookies go beyond your regular baking experience thanks to the subtlety of flavors that come from blending brown sugar, white sugar, vanilla extract, and bananas. They create an aroma that will undoubtedly fill your home with a cozy feeling and make everyone ask for more.
Oh, and did I mention the walnuts? It’s no secret that walnuts are one of the healthiest nuts out there, and they would be already enough to make these cookies worthwhile indulging in. But when mixed with flour and baking soda, they take you on a mouthwatering adventure that won’t disappoint.
In sum, there’s a reason why people often dive into baking sessions to recreate this recipe. Whether it’s for breakfast, lunchboxes, or sweet treats at any time of day—Mrs. Fields Banana Nut Cookies are an all-around winner that can satisfy both the sweetest and savviest tooth. Give them a try, and you won’t regret it!
Here are the ingredients you need to make these heavenly Mrs. Fields Banana Nut Cookies:
- 2 and 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 3 ripe mashed bananas (medium to large size)
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup of white sugar
- 3/4 cup of brown sugar, light packed
- 1 cup (2 sticks) of butter, softened to room temperature or partially hydrogenated margarine
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 2 cups of walnuts, chopped
You can easily find all the ingredients at your local grocery store. Make sure the bananas you choose are at the peak level of ripeness; you’ll know it’s ready when there are black spots on the peel. The riper the better as it gives a more intense banana flavor to your cookies!
The Recipe How-To
Before you begin with the recipe, make sure to get all your ingredients ready. For this Mrs. Fields Banana Nut Cookies Recipe, you will need butter, brown sugar, white sugar, ripe mashed bananas, eggs, vanilla extract, flour, baking soda, salt, walnuts and chocolate chips.
Preheat the Oven
Preheat your oven to 375°F. Make sure that your oven is preheated so that your cookies can cook evenly.
Combine Wet and Dry Ingredients
Grab a mixing bowl and whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt until well combined.
In a larger bowl cream together 1 cup of softened butter, ¾ cup of white sugar and ¾ cup of brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add in two mashed ripe bananas, and blend well.
Gradually stir in 2 cups of flour mixture, mix well until all the ingredients are combined.
Fold in Walnuts and Chocolate Chips
Using a wooden spoon or spatula, stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts into the batter until they’re evenly distributed.
Form the Cookies
Scoop a heaping tablespoonful of dough and shape it into a ball using your hands. Place onto an ungreased baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Repeat with the remaining dough spacing them about 2 inches apart on cookie sheet.
Bake the Cookies
Put your baking sheet in a preheated oven for about 10-12 minutes or until golden brown around edges.
Let your cookies cool down for at least 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Enjoy your freshly baked Mrs. Fields Banana Nut Cookies!
Substitutions and Variations
This recipe for Mrs. Fields’ Banana Nut Cookies is already a classic, but you can always put a personal touch on it. Here are some ideas for substitutions and variations that could add variety to your cookie jar:
– Instead of walnuts, try using pecans or macadamia nuts. These nuts have different flavors and textures that can add interesting contrast to the soft and chewy banana cookies.
– For an even more indulgent treat, substitute some of the semi-sweet chocolate chips with white chocolate chips or milk chocolate chips. You can also omit the chocolate chips altogether if you prefer.
– If you don’t have ripe bananas on hand, or if you want to mix it up, try using mashed pumpkin or sweet potato instead. These purees can provide natural sweetness and moisture to the cookies while bringing a unique flavor profile.
– If you’re looking for a gluten-free version of this recipe, try substituting the all-purpose flour with almond flour or coconut flour. Keep in mind that the texture and taste might be slightly different from the original recipe.
– You can also experiment with adding different spices or extracts into the cookie dough. For example, try mixing in some cinnamon, nutmeg, or vanilla liqueur extract to enhance the banana flavor.
– Finally, you might want to consider making larger cookies by using an ice cream scoop instead of a teaspoon. This will give you bigger cookies with crispy edges and soft centers that are perfect for sharing. Enjoy experimenting and finding your own favorite version of these famous Mrs. Fields’ Banana Nut Cookies!
Serving and Pairing
Once you’ve baked the delicious Mrs. Fields Banana Nut Cookies, you’ll definitely want to indulge in them right away! These cookies are best served warm, fresh out of the oven, and absolutely perfect with a glass of cold milk. The nutty aroma and soft, chewy texture make them irresistible to just about anyone with a sweet tooth.
If you’re looking for a fancier way to serve these cookies, try topping them with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and some chopped walnuts for an even more delectable treat. You can also crumble them up and use them as a crust for cheesecake or as a topping for banana cream pie. The possibilities are endless!
If you’re entertaining and want to pair these cookies with other treats, I recommend serving them alongside some classic oatmeal cookies or some luxurious macadamia nut cookies. If you’re feeling adventurous, bake up a batch of Mrs. Fields Chocolate Chip Cookies or some white chocolate chip cookies to create an array of different flavors.
Whatever you choose to pair it with, the Mrs. Fields Banana Nut Cookies will be a standout hit with everyone who tastes them. Enjoy!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
As much as I love freshly baked Mrs. Fields Banana Nut Cookies, sometimes I just don’t have the time to whip up a batch every time I crave them. Luckily, these cookies can be made ahead and stored for later consumption.
If you want to make the dough for these cookies ahead of time, simply prepare the dough according to the recipe instructions and then form it into logs. Then, wrap the logs tightly in plastic wrap and store them in the refrigerator for up to three days or in the freezer for up to three months. When you’re ready to bake the cookies, simply slice the dough into rounds and bake as directed in the recipe.
To store baked cookies, let them cool completely before storing them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week. If you want your cookies to stay soft and chewy, add a slice of bread or an apple wedge to the container – this will help keep them moist. Alternatively, you can store your cookies in the freezer for up to three months.
When it comes time to reheat your cookies, simply pop them into the microwave for 10-15 seconds or until they’re warm and gooey again. You can also reheat them in a 350 degree oven for 5-10 minutes or until they’re warmed through.
Whether you’re making these cookies ahead of time or storing leftovers for later enjoyment, be sure to follow these tips for perfectly delicious cookies every time.
Tips for Perfect Results
I have tested this recipe many times and have come up with some tips to ensure you get the best possible result when making Mrs. Fields Banana Nut Cookies.
1. Ripe bananas: Make sure to use ripe bananas for this recipe. They should be yellow with brown spots. Ripe bananas are sweeter and will give your cookies a stronger banana flavor.
2. Chop walnuts finely: Chopping the walnuts finely helps them distribute evenly throughout the cookie and prevents big chunks from sticking out. I recommend using a sharp knife or a food processor to chop the nuts into small pieces.
3. Use room temperature ingredients: It’s important to use room temperature butter, eggs, and milk for this recipe. Room temperature ingredients mix more easily, ensuring that everything is combined evenly.
4. Don’t overmix: Once you have added the dry ingredients to the wet mixture, only mix until just combined. Overmixing can cause the gluten in the flour to develop, leading to tough cookies.
5. Chill dough before baking: Chilling your cookie dough for 30 minutes before baking helps prevent spreading and gives a nice chewy texture to your cookies.
6. Watch baking time carefully: The baking time can vary depending on the size of your cookies and your oven’s temperature, so keep a close eye on them towards the end of baking time.
7. Store correctly: If you’re not eating your cookies right away, it’s important to store them correctly for best results. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days or in the freezer for up to three months.
Follow these tips for perfect results every time with Mrs. Fields Banana Nut Cookies!
As with any recipe, people may have questions or concerns before they attempt it. Here are some frequently asked questions (FAQ) and their corresponding answers to help you on your way to creating the perfect Mrs. Fields Banana Nut Cookies.
What are Mrs Fields cookies made of?
The main ingredients used in this recipe are a combination of enriched flour consisting of wheat flour, barley malt, niacin, iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid, and sugar. The recipe also includes shortening, which is made by partially hydrogenating soybean and cottonseed oils along with an antifoaming agent called dimethylpolysiloxane. Additionally, the butter blend used in the recipe consists of butter, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, soybean oil, water, and partially hydrogenated vegetable oil.
Can you microwave Mrs Fields Cookies?
There’s nothing better than fresh-from-the-oven cookies, but sometimes we need to seal them up to keep their goodness intact. Fear not, as you can still revive the scrumptious taste and warmth with Mrs. Fields®’s treats at home. All you need to do is pop them into the microwave for about 5-10 seconds or in the oven at 350 degrees for 1-2 minutes, and you can have a freshly baked experience right at home.
Now that you have all the tips and instructions, it’s time to put your baking apron on and get started on making these mouth-watering Mrs. Fields Banana Nut Cookies. Just remember to follow the recipe closely, and don’t be afraid to experiment with different flavor combinations to make them your own.
I can assure you that once you try these cookies, you won’t be able to resist their buttery, nutty goodness. So what are you waiting for? Head to the kitchen and whip up a batch of copycat Mrs. Fields Banana Nut Cookies today!
Mrs. Fields Banana Nut Cookies Recipe
- 2 2/3 cups flour, all-purpose
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup brown sugar, light packed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon liqueur or 1 teaspoon extract, banana flavor
- 3/4 cup ripe banana, mashed
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 300°F
- In a medium bowl, combine four, soda and salt. Mix well and set aside.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, blend sugars at medium speed. Add butter and mix to form a grainy paste, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Add egg, liqueur and banana, and beat at medium speed until smooth. Add flour mixture, 1 cup of the chocolate chips and walnuts, and blend at low speed until just combined.
- Drop by rounded tablespoons onto ungreased cookie sheets, 2 inches apart.
- Sprinkle cookies with chocolate chips, 6 to 8 per cookie.
- Bake 25-27 minutes until cookie edges begin to brown.
- Transfer immediately to a cool surface.
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Steven is a chef by heritage, so it’s no wonder why baking is such a big part of who he is. To share his passion for all things sweet, he created cookiesncrepes.com. It’s the perfect platform to indulge in delicious treats, all with a sprinkle of his signature flare.