Delicious and Healthy Vegan Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
Welcome, dear bakers and food enthusiasts! Today, I have the pleasure of sharing with you a sweet treat that is not only delicious but also cruelty-free. Are you ready to add a pumpkin twist to your baking routine? I present to you this vegan pumpkin whoopie pies recipe that will rival any non-vegan dessert.
But what is a whoopie pie, you may ask? Think of it as a hybrid between a cookie and a cake sandwich filled with all sorts of goodness. In this case, we have fluffy pumpkin cookies filled with a creamy vegan cream cheese filling.
I know what you might be thinking, “vegan desserts can’t possibly taste as good,” but believe me, this recipe is sure to change your mind. Not only does it have all the same textures and flavors that one would expect from traditional whoopie pies, but it’s also packed with wholesome ingredients that are friendly to our planet and animal friends.
Fall is synonymous with many things, and pumpkin everything is definitely on top of the list. So grab your apron and let’s get started because we’re about to make some mouth-watering treats that will satisfy your sweet tooth while saving the planet!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
If you’re a dessert lover or an ardent baker, this recipe is for you! Introducing the delectable vegan pumpkin whoopie pies recipe that’s sure to satisfy your sweet cravings.
What makes this recipe so special, you might ask? Well, for starters, it’s vegan! That means you can enjoy this dessert without compromising on your dietary restrictions or ethical beliefs. The use of dairy-free cream cheese filling and non-dairy milk makes it perfect for vegans and those with lactose intolerance.
Secondly, this recipe is bursting with flavors that will tantalize your taste buds. With a generous amount of pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice in the batter, the whoopie pies have a moist texture and warm taste perfect for fall. The combination of cinnamon, ginger, ground cloves, and nutmeg in the spice mixture adds complexity to the flavors that will please any palate.
Moreover, this recipe is easy to make! With simple instructions and readily available ingredients like all-purpose flour, baking soda, and baking powder, you can whip up these delectable treats in no time.
Lastly, these vegan pumpkin whoopie pies are perfect for sharing. They are great as a casual dessert for family get-togethers or holiday dinners. You can even present them as an elegant finale when hosting a formal dinner party.
In sum, whether you’re looking to impress your guests or indulge in some sweet goodness yourself, this vegan pumpkin whoopie pies recipe ticks all the boxes. So what are you waiting for? Give it a try and experience the indulgent satisfaction of biting into a fluffy and moist treat bursting with autumnal goodness!
- Pumpkin Puree. With 1 cup of pumpkin puree, we will enjoy moist and flavorful whoopie pies with the distinctive flavor of pumpkin pie.
- Brown Sugar. To add the necessary sweetness to our pies, we will use ¾ cups of brown sugar which gives them a delicious caramel-like taste.
- Canola Oil. We will use ½ cup of this neutral-flavored oil that adds moistness to the batter.
- Egg Substitute. The vegan alternative for eggs in this recipe is 1 flax egg, it’s easy to make and it gives great texture to the pies.
- Apple Cider Vinegar. It reacts with baking soda to create bubbles in the batter, making it light and fluffy.
- All-Purpose Flour. We will need 2 cups of flour for this recipe.
- Baking Powder and Baking Soda. These two ingredients are essential for giving our whoopie pies their characteristic structure, fluffiness, and rise.
- Spices. As “pumpkin spice” is one of the must-have flavors for fall desserts, we will use a blend of cinnamon, ginger, ground cloves, and salt to give our pies that warm and cozy flavor we all love.
- Non-Dairy Milk. Use ¾ cup of your preferred plant-based milk (such as almond or soy milk) as a substitute for dairy milk in this recipe.
- Vanilla Extract. A teaspoon of vanilla extract complements the spices and gives a subtle sweet flavor to the batter.
- Vegan Butter & Vegan Cream Cheese, For making the delicious cream cheese filling we will use vegan butter, vegan cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract.
Now that we have all our ingredients on hand let´s start preparing these amazing Vegan Pumpkin Whoopie Pies!
The Recipe How-To
To begin with, preheat your oven to 375°F. This temperature will help in perfectly baking these vegan pumpkin whoopie pies. Take a large mixing bowl and mix together the wet ingredients – pumpkin puree, brown sugar, canola oil, flax egg, and vanilla extract. Make sure to beat the mixture well until it is light and fluffy.
Next, sift all the dry ingredients – all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and the classic pumpkin spice mix of cinnamon, ground cloves, ginger, and salt into a separate bowl. Combine both the wet and dry ingredients using a wooden spoon or any other suitable kitchen tool until you have a smooth batter.
Baking Perfect Whoopie Pies
Take a spoonful of the batter and drop it onto a parchment paper-lined baking tray. Keep enough space between each spoonful so they don’t stick together. Bake these mini pumpkin-sized pies for approximately 12-15 minutes. Once ready, take them out of the oven and allow them to cool before icing them with vegan cream cheese filling.
Preparing the Cream Cheese Filling
To prepare the rich creamy filling that goes inside these delectable vegan pumpkin whoopie pies, take a large mixing bowl and add in softened vegan butter, vegan cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and apple cider vinegar. Use an electric mixer to blend everything well into an airy frosting.
The cream cheese filling should be thick enough not to drip off when you spread it evenly onto one side of every whoopie pie base. Once all the pieces are covered with frosting, create little sandwiches by joining two bases together with this flavor-packed filling.
These vegan pumpkin whoopie pies make for an excellent breakfast or dessert item that everyone will surely love! Once prepared, serve them as finger food at any holiday occasion or family gathering. If desired, dust some powdered sugar over each piece or sprinkle some chopped nuts like pecans or walnuts on top for visual appeal.
Try this recipe today and experience deliciousness in every single bite!
Substitutions and Variations
There’s always room for experimentation and creativity when it comes to baking. I understand that not everyone has the same ingredients readily available in their pantry, so here are some substitutions and variations you can try for this vegan pumpkin whoopie pie recipe.
– Ingredient Substitutions:
– Egg Substitute: If you don’t have flax meal or chia seeds, no worries. Applesauce, mashed banana, yogurt, or silken tofu can all make a great egg substitute. Keep in mind that some alternatives may affect the texture of the whoopie pies.
– Vegan Cream Cheese: You can use cashew cream cheese or coconut cream cheese instead of dairy-free cream cheese. Make sure it’s thick and creamy enough to hold up as a filling.
– All-Purpose Flour: For a gluten-free version, try using almond flour, coconut flour or gluten-free flour blend instead of all-purpose flour.
– Recipe Variations:
– Chocolate Whoopie Pies: Replace half of the flour with unsweetened cocoa powder to make chocolate whoopie pies. You can also add some chocolate chips to the batter for extra richness.
– Pumpkin Pie Spice Whoopie Pies: Mix together 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ginger, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg and a pinch of allspice to create your own homemade pumpkin pie spice blend. Use this in place of the individual spices in the recipe to infuse more pumpkin flavor to your whoopie pies.
– Mini Pumpkin Whoopie Pies: Use a mini muffin tin to make bite-sized whoopie pies that are perfect for parties and gatherings.
Remember that these substitutions and variations may require some adjustments in measurement or baking time depending on your oven and altitude. Don’t be afraid to get creative and make it your own!
Serving and Pairing
When it comes to serving and pairing these Vegan Pumpkin Whoopie Pies, there are a few options that come to mind. I like to serve them chilled, so I recommend letting them cool in the refrigerator for at least an hour or two before enjoying.
These pies pair really well with a hot cup of coffee or tea, especially if you enhance the flavors with some pumpkin pie spice. Additionally, if you’re feeling extra decadent, you can serve them with a dollop of whipped cream on top or a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side.
These vegan whoopie pies also make for great desserts to bring to potlucks, Thanksgiving dinners or any fall gathering. They will surely be a hit among your non-vegan friends and family members as well because they taste just like the traditional recipe, but without any dairy or eggs.
In summary, remember to chill the pies before serving, and consider adding some spice to your beverage pairing. Feel free to get creative with the serving options and experiment with different toppings or pairings based on your preferences!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
The great thing about these vegan pumpkin whoopie pies is that they can easily be made ahead of time, stored, and reheated for later consumption. To ensure the best results, I recommend storing the whoopie pies separately from the filling. This will prevent them from becoming too soggy and will allow for better reheating.
To make ahead, simply bake the whoopie pies as directed in the recipe instructions. Once cooled, store them in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. The filling can be stored separately, covered and refrigerated for up to 5 days.
When reheating the pies, preheat your oven to 350°F and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 5-10 minutes or until heated through. Alternatively, you can reheat in the microwave by placing one whoopie pie at a time on a microwave-safe plate and heating on high for 10-15 seconds.
If you have some leftover filling after assembling your pies, don’t worry! The filling can also be used as a spread on toast or as a dip for fruit.
Overall, these vegan pumpkin whoopie pies are perfect for those who want to plan ahead or have some leftovers. They can easily be stored and reheated without compromising their delicious taste.
Tips for Perfect Results
Now that you have gathered all the ingredients and are ready to bake your vegan pumpkin whoopie pies, I have some tips for perfect results!
Firstly, make sure your ingredients are at room temperature before baking. This is especially important for the vegan butter and cream cheese filling. The reason being, when these ingredients are at room temperature they will mix better together and create a smoother consistency.
Secondly, be sure to measure the flour correctly. Too much flour will make the pies dense and dry. To get an accurate measurement, spoon the flour into the measuring cup and level it off with a knife.
Thirdly, it’s crucial to take the time to sift your dry ingredients. Sifting will not only remove any clumps but will also incorporate air into the mixture which helps in creating a light and fluffy texture.
Another essential tip to follow is when mixing the wet and dry ingredients together do not overmix! Overmixing can cause gluten in the flour to develop, resulting in tough pies. Mix until just combined, and that’s it!
Lastly, let your pumpkin pies cool completely before filling them with cream cheese. The warmth can cause the filling to melt, making it runny and losing its shape. Also, after filling them with cream cheese filling let them rest for 30 minutes before serving making sure that they’ve had time to be chilled and firm up.
Follow these tips and your vegan pumpkin whoopie pies will turn out perfect every time!
In conclusion, this Vegan Pumpkin Whoopie Pies Recipe is truly a perfect dessert for any occasion. Whether you are hosting a party or craving a sweet snack at home, these soft and fluffy pumpkin spice whoopie pies filled with creamy vegan cream cheese filling will leave you satisfied and happy. The best part is that this recipe is versatile and adaptable to many dietary needs, such as gluten-free or dairy-free.
I urge you to give this recipe a try and experience the deliciousness for yourself. With simple ingredients and easy steps, it’s a recipe that anyone can master. Plus, the flavor combination of pumpkin and warm spices like cinnamon, ginger, and cloves will make your taste buds dance with joy.
So go ahead, preheat your oven to 375°F and gather the ingredients listed in this article. With just a few minutes of preparation and twenty minutes of baking time, you’ll have an irresistible treat that will impress your friends and family. Enjoy!
Vegan Pumpkin Whoopie Pies Recipe
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 egg substitute
- 2 cups pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 ounces vegan cream cheese
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Start with the cakes. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices in large mixing bowl. In a seperate bowl, cream together sugar, oil, egg replacers, pumpkin and vanilla. Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix together.
- Drop by rounded tablespoons onto greased cookie sheets and bake for 14 to 16 minutes or until the center of the cookies springs back when lightly pressed. Cool thoroughly on wire racks or towels before spreading with filling.
- While the cakes are baking you can make the cream cheese filling. In a medium bowl, cream together vegan cream cheese and vegan butter. Mix in powdered sugar one half cup at a time until thoroughly blended.
- To assemble, spread a sizeable dollop of filling on the bottom of one thoroughly cooled cake, make a "sandwich" with a second cake.
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Steven is a chef by heritage, so it’s no wonder why baking is such a big part of who he is. To share his passion for all things sweet, he created cookiesncrepes.com. It’s the perfect platform to indulge in delicious treats, all with a sprinkle of his signature flare.