If you are a fan of smores, then get ready to take things to the next level with these mouth-watering S’mores Whoopie Pies. These half-cakes, half-cookies feature soft graham cracker cake with a twist on the classic ingredients, layered with sweet marshmallow buttercream and drizzled with indulgent chocolate ganache. Trust me, your taste buds will be in heaven.
When it comes to desserts, there is no denying that smores are a classic favorite. But why settle for the standard graham cracker, Hershey’s chocolate, and marshmallow combo when you can transform those same flavors into a delectable treat that packs a punch? These S’mores Whoopie Pies are essentially all the flavors you love about smores, but in an even more indulgent form.
With decadent layers of graham cracker cake and fluffy marshmallow buttercream sandwiched together and finished off with gooey chocolate ganache, this dessert will have everyone begging for the recipe. So whether you’re sitting by the campfire or just looking for an excuse to indulge in something sweet and satisfying, these S’mores Whoopie Pies are sure to do the trick. Get your oven mitts ready – let’s get baking!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Let me tell you why you’ll fall in love with this recipe for S’mores Whoopie Pies. First off, who doesn’t love a s’more? It’s a classic treat, perfect for camping or cozying up around a fire pit. With this recipe, you can bring that classic campfire taste to your home oven.
But what really sets these whoopie pies apart is the combination of flavors and textures. The soft graham cracker cake pairs perfectly with the sweet marshmallow buttercream and rich chocolate ganache. It’s a twist on a classic dessert that takes it to the next level.
And don’t let the idea of making whoopie pies intimidate you. This recipe is straightforward and easy to follow, even for novice bakers. Plus, it’s customizable! You can switch up the size of the pies or experiment with different flavors of graham crackers or candy bars.
In short, these s’mores whoopie pies are sweet, satisfying, and sure to impress your friends and family. Whether you’re looking for something to satisfy your sweet tooth or seeking a fun new baking project, this recipe is perfect for you.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to recreate these mouthwatering S’mores Whoopie Pies:
For the Chocolate Graham Cracker Cake:
- 1 and 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 cups of graham cracker crumbs (finely crushed)
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 3/4 cup of unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup of dark brown sugar (packed)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup of milk
For the Marshmallow Fluff Filling:
- 3/4 cup of unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup of vegetable shortening
- 1 and 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
- 7.5 ounces of marshmallow cream
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
For the Chocolate Ganache Drizzle:
- 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 8 ounces of dark chocolate (finely chopped)
With these ingredients, you can easily create this delectable dessert that is perfect for satisfying your sweet tooth.
The Recipe How-To
Now that we have all the necessary ingredients for our S’mores Whoopie Pies, it’s time to put them together and create this sweet treat that’s sure to satisfy any sweet tooth.
Chocolate Graham Cracker Cake
The first step is to make the chocolate graham cracker cake half of the whoopie pies.
Begin by preheating your oven to 375°F.
In a large bowl, beat together ½ cup (1 stick) butter, 1 cup light brown sugar (packed), 1 large egg, and 1 tablespoon vanilla extract until creamy.
In another bowl, whisk together 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and a pinch of salt.
Gradually mix in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined.
Add in 1/3 cup of finely crushed graham cracker crumbs and fold them into the batter until just incorporated.
Drop spoonfuls (about 2 tablespoons) of batter onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat, spacing them about 2 inches apart as they will spread.
Bake for about 10-12 minutes until the edges are set and lightly browned, but the centers are still soft.
Let cool on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes, then transfer them onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Next up, we’ll make our marshmallow buttercream.
In a medium mixing bowl with electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat ½ cup (1 stick) softened butter until creamy and light.
Add in 2 cups powdered sugar gradually until slightly crumbly, then add in 1/2 cup Marshmallow Cream and continue to mix until smooth.
Pour in 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream, followed by 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, before adding another 2 cups powdered sugar. Mix thoroughly until well combined.
Slowly drizzle in another 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream while continuing to beat until light and fluffy.
Finally, add in crushed up pieces of graham crackers and chocolate chips (optional) for added flavor crunch.
Assembling Your S’mores Whoopie Pies
Let’s assemble these beauties!
Take one cookie top side down; pipe or spread a good amount of marshmallow buttercream on top—about a heaping tablespoon—flatting it slightly with spatula or knife and add split marshmallows.
Take another cookie top side down; pipe or spread a good amount of flavor-packed Chocolate Ganache filling onto cookie—about a heaping tablespoon—flatting it
Substitutions and Variations
S’mores Whoopie Pies are versatile little cakes that you can modify to suit your tastes. Here are some substitutions and variations that you can try:
Graham Cracker Flavor – If you don’t want to crush graham crackers, use graham cracker flour instead or substitute half of the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour. This will give the whoopie pies a nuttier texture.
Marshmallow Buttercream – Instead of plain buttercream, try adding a hint of vanilla extract and marshmallow cream to your frosting recipe. It will make it taste like a creamy marshmallow.
Chocolate Ganache – For a richer flavor, use dark chocolate in the ganache and add cinnamon to it. The cinnamon adds some warmth to the chocolate and complements the flavors in the s’mores perfectly.
Pumpkin S’mores Whoopie Pies – Substitute pumpkin puree for half of the vegetable shortening in the recipe and add some pumpkin pie spice for a fall-inspired twist on this classic dessert.
Hershey Mores – Instead of using chocolate ganache, use Hershey’s chocolate syrup or melted Hershey’s candy bars instead. This will give your whoopie pies that authentic Hershey’s flavor.
Crushed Graham Crackers – Top the whoopie pies with extra crushed graham crackers before serving for some added crunch.
Assemble Whoopie Pies Differently – Instead of piping the marshmallow buttercream between two flat cakes, twist up this classic by smashing two soft graham cookies together and then filling the center with sweet marshmallow fluff.
These substitutions and variations are just some recommendations. Feel free to experiment with these recipes and make them your own!
Serving and Pairing
Once you’ve got your s’mores whoopie pies ready, it’s time to serve them up! These pies are a fantastic dessert and can be enjoyed on their own. They are sure to satisfy any sweet tooth!
However, if you’re looking to pair these pies with something, there are a few options that will take these delightful treats to the next level. Here are some suggestions:
Firstly, coffee is always a great pairing for desserts. The bitterness of the coffee counters the sweetness of the pies, and the two flavors complement each other nicely.
If you’re looking for something cold to pair with your pies, try serving them with a tall glass of milk. The classic pairing of milk and cookies will never go out of style!
For those wanting alcohol pairings, consider pairing your s’mores whoopie pies with some port wine. The rich flavors in the wine complement the chocolate and marshmallow perfectly.
Lastly, If you want to keep things straightforward and bring out more of the graham cracker flavor in these pies; consider pairing them with a simple scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Remember, serving food is like creating art; impressing people’s senses satisfies soul just as much as stomachs.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
As someone who loves to bake, I know that time is often a precious commodity. That’s why I always appreciate recipes that can be made ahead of time, and this S’mores Whoopie Pies recipe definitely falls into that category!
If you’re short on time before a party or gathering, you can easily make the graham cracker cakes and the marshmallow buttercream a day ahead of time. Simply store the unfilled cakes in an airtight container at room temperature and keep the buttercream in the fridge.
Once you’re ready to assemble your whoopie pies, let the cakes come to room temperature and give the buttercream a quick stir to ensure it’s nice and smooth. Then, pipe a layer of marshmallow buttercream onto the flat side of one cake, sprinkle with some crushed graham crackers or chocolate chips if desired, and top with another cake. Easy as pie!
If you have leftovers (although I doubt there will be any!), simply store your whoopie pies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days. You can also pop them in the fridge if you prefer them chilled.
To reheat your whoopie pies (if you don’t plan on eating them all at once), simply pop them in the oven for a few minutes until they’re heated through. This will help soften up the graham cracker cakes even more and make for an extra gooey experience!
Pro Tip: Be sure to store any leftover ganache in a separate container at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. When ready to use, simply microwave it in 10-second increments until melted again. Drizzle it over ice cream, cookies, and other desserts for an extra touch of decadence.
Tips for Perfect Results
If you’ve tried making whoopie pies before, you know the importance of getting them just right. And when it comes to s’mores whoopie pies, the stakes are even higher – after all, what could be more disappointing than a lackluster attempt at this delicious flavor combination?
Here are some tips to ensure your s’mores whoopie pies come out perfect every time:
1. Use high-quality ingredients. From the graham crackers to the chocolate ganache, each component of these whoopie pies contributes to their overall flavor. Splurging on good-quality ingredients will make a big difference in the final result.
2. Measure accurately. Baking is inherently scientific, and precise measurements are essential. Be sure to measure your ingredients carefully (especially the baking powder and baking soda), and follow the recipe instructions closely.
3. Don’t overmix the batter. It’s important not to overwork the batter – this can lead to tough, dry cakes. Mix until just combined, stopping as soon as you’re sure there are no pockets of flour remaining.
4. Chill the dough before baking. Chilling the dough for at least 30 minutes (or up to overnight) before baking helps it firm up and hold its shape better.
5. Pipe or scoop uniform portions. Use a cookie scoop or piping bag to ensure that each cake is roughly the same size, which will help them bake evenly.
6. Toast your marshmallows before adding them to the filling. For an extra layer of flavor (and a classic s’mores touch), toast your marshmallows under a broiler or with a kitchen torch before adding them to the marshmallow buttercream filling.
7. Don’t skimp on frosting! S’mores whoopie pies should be generously filled with marshmallow buttercream – after all, that’s what gives them their signature flavor.
8. Add a final touch of garnish. Crushed graham cracker crumbs, mini Hershey’s chocolate bars, or even a drizzle of dark chocolate ganache can take these whoopie pies to the next level in terms of both presentation and flavor.
Follow these tips, and your s’mores whoopie pies are sure to be a hit – whether you’re serving them up for a summer party or enjoying them as a cozy winter treat by the fire pit!
In conclusion, this S’mores Whoopie Pies recipe is a total game-changer. With its delicious soft marshmallow filling and rich chocolate and graham cracker layers, it’s no wonder that it’s become an instant favorite among so many dessert lovers.
By using simple ingredients like flour, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, and more, you can take your baking skills to the next level and create this tasty and indulgent treat. Whether you’re making them for a party, as a gift for someone special or just because you deserve a little indulgence, these Smores Whoopie Pies will not disappoint.
With the addition of pumpkin puree or other seasonal spices, you could make this recipe even more creative and exciting. The possibilities are endless!
So why not give this recipe a try? Perfect for any occasion, it’s easy to make and leaves room for experimentation. Make them large or small, with different toppings or flavors – this recipe is versatile and easily adaptable to satisfy your sweet tooth cravings.
Without a doubt, these smores whoopie pies will quickly become your go-to dessert when you need something sweet, comforting and utterly indulgent. So what are you waiting for? Grab your apron and start preparing your kitchen for baking success!
S’mores Whoopie Pies Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- marshmallow cream
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) jar marshmallow cream
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable shortening
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- chocolate ganache
- 12 ounces milk chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 375F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, stir together both flours, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- In another bowl, beat the butter, shortening, and brown sugar for about 3 minutes until light and creamy. Add the eggs, buttermilk, and Ã‚Â½ teaspoon vanilla and beat until combined.
- In a third bowl, combine the milk, baking soda, and vinegar. Add this slowly to the butter mixture, then add the flour mixture and beat on low speed until completely combined.
- Drop about 2 tablespoons of batter onto the baking sheet with a spoon. Each drop should be spaced at least 3 inches apart.
- Bake for 10 minutes until the cakes begin to brown. Remove from the oven and let them cool on the baking sheet for 5 min before transferring them to a rack to cool completely. They might break if you try to move them when they are too warm.
- MARSHMALLOW CREAM.
- Beat together the marshmallow fluff and shortening for 3 minutes until smooth and fluffy.
- Reduce the mixer speed and add the powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Increase speed and beat until fluffy.
- CHOCOLATE GANACHE.
- Place the chocolate in a large, heat proof bowl.
- Heat the cream in a saucepan over medium heat just until it bubbles. Pour the heated cream over the chocolate in the bowl and let it sit for about 10 minutes, until the chocolate is just melted. Stir with a whisk until smooth.
- Refrigerate for about 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes until it is firm enough to spread.
- Pair up your cakes by size. Spread the marshmallow cream onto the flat side of one cake and the chocolate ganache on the flat side of another, squish together, and repeat until all cakes are covered.
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Steven is a chef by heritage, so it’s no wonder why baking is such a big part of who he is. To share his passion for all things sweet, he created cookiesncrepes.com. It’s the perfect platform to indulge in delicious treats, all with a sprinkle of his signature flare.