Greetings, my fellow chocolate lovers! Today, I have the ultimate indulgence for you – PF Chang’s Great Wall of Chocolate Cake. This dessert is a six-layered masterpiece that has become a staple on their main menu and is available in all of their Chinese restaurants worldwide.
As a passionate baker, I have spent years perfecting this copycat recipe to bring you the best possible version of this chocolate cake outside of PF Chang’s restaurant. Trust me when I say that the Great Wall of Chocolate Cake is not an average cake; it’s an experience you don’t want to miss out on.
The moist, super chocolaty cake layers are made with cocoa powder, unsweetened chocolate coarsely chopped, flour, baking powder, and salt. The frosting is made using heavy cream and bittersweet chocolate chips; it perfectly complements the richness of the cake layers. I promise you’ll lose yourself in every bite.
So let’s get started with the recipe by digging into its ingredients and preparation method. Once you taste this incredible dessert, all your senses will rejoice together. There’s no need to go to PF Chang’s restaurant or wait for a birthday celebration; this cake is perfect for any occasion worth celebrating or a party of one.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you a lover of rich, decadent chocolate cake? Look no further, because Pf Changs Great Wall of Chocolate Cake recipe is the perfect dessert for you.
Why should you love this recipe? For starters, it’s an incredibly satisfying treat that packs a major flavor punch. This six-layered chocolate cake is one of the most famous dishes at Pf Chang’s restaurant and standout in their main menu desserts.
Not only will this cake satisfy your sweet tooth, but it’s also a feast for your eyes. Layers of chocolate and chocolate frosting are topped off with dark chocolate crumbles, a true celebration decor with its unique presentation as well as taste.
But what sets this cake apart from others is the secret ingredient in the recipe — bittersweet chocolate. The level of sweetness will definitely appease all palates as each bite burst with premium cocoa flavors similar to a super chocolately healthy cake that always pleases.
Moreover, you can easily make variations to suit your preferences. You can opt for sugar-free, gluten-free or low carb cakes by swapping out some ingredients such as the sugar or using alternate flours that still produce a moist and delicious result. And it still retains its nutritional value at 17g protein per slice.
Finally, making the recipe does not require exceptional culinary expertise; it’s easy and straightforward to follow. You just need to have basic baking ingredients like flour, sugar and unsalted butter on hand. With clear instructions, you’ll be able to make this restaurant-worthy dessert at home in no time.
In summary, if you’re looking for an irresistibly delicious chocolate cake that is sure to please any crowds for any occasions — from birthdays to quality family gatherings — then you’ll adore Pf Changs Great Wall of Chocolate Cake Recipe. And who knows? After trying it out yourself, It might just become your go-to recipe for all future celebrations!
Here are the key ingredients you’ll need to make this decadent and delicious cake:
- 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
Make sure to have them all on hand before you start baking. Also, keep in mind that quality ingredients will produce the best results.
This great wall of chocolate cake recipe can be modified for dietary needs, including gluten-free or low-carb diets. For a low-carb version, consider using almond flour instead of all-purpose flour and sugar-free chocolate chips as an alternative ingredient.
Overall, with these ingredients, you will have a super chocolaty, moist and healthy cake that is sure to please everyone’s taste buds!
The Recipe How-To
Now that we’ve gathered all the ingredients, it’s time to make the Great Wall of Chocolate Cake a reality. This cake is sure to impress anyone with its six layers of chocolatey goodness. Follow these steps to achieve a delicious and impressive dessert!
How to Make Pf Changs Great Wall of Chocolate Cake Recipe
Step 1: Preheat Oven
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Step 2: Melt Chocolate
Melt 5 ounces of unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped, over low heat in a small saucepan. Stir until the chocolate is melted and smooth, Set aside to cool.
Step 3: Mix Dry Ingredients
In a small bowl, whisk together 2 cups of flour, 2 teaspoons of baking powder, and 4 teaspoons of cocoa powder.
Step 4: Cream Butter and Sugar
In a large mixing bowl, cream together 1 1/2 cups of unsalted butter softened and 1 1/4 cups of sugar until light and fluffy.
Step 5: Add Eggs
Add 5 eggs, one at a time.
Step 6: Add Vanilla Extract and Salt
Mix in 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
Step 7: Combine Dry Ingredients
Fold in the dry ingredients alternately with 1 cup of milk until fully combined.
Step 8: Add Melted Chocolate
Pour in the melted chocolate and mix well.
Step 9: Bake
Divide the batter equally between three greased and floured 9-inch cake pans. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of each cake.
Step 10: Cool
Allow the cakes to cool on wire racks for about 10 minutes before turning them out onto the rack to cool completely.
Step 11: Frosting
To make the frosting, mix together 3 cups of heavy cream, 12 ounces of bittersweet chocolate chips, and 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract. Beat until soft peaks form.
Step 12: Assemble Layers
Assemble each tier by spreading frosting between each layer with an offset spatula. Ensure they are evenly spread before stacking them upon one another for your towering masterpiece!
And there you have it! A complete guide on how to recreate the famous Great Wall of Chocolate Cake recipe by PF Chang’s. Enjoy every luscious bite of this delightful treat!
Substitutions and Variations
Are you looking to switch things up with this recipe? Here are some substitution ideas and variations to consider:
– Gluten-free: For those with gluten sensitivities or Celiac disease, swap the regular flour for a gluten-free flour blend. This will give you a classic cake texture without any gluten.
– Sugar-free: If you are cutting back on sugar, try a sugar substitute like Stevia or Swerve in place of regular granulated sugar. Just remember that this may affect the texture and moisture of the cake.
– Low-carb: If you prefer a low-carb option, you can experiment with almond or coconut flour instead of wheat flour. These alternatives have fewer carbs but will still provide moisture to the cake.
– Dark chocolate: For an intense chocolate flavor, swap out bittersweet chocolate for dark chocolate. You can also use chocolate chips in place of chopped chocolate if desired.
– Layered cake: The original Great Wall of Chocolate Cake has six layers of chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. To make a layered version, simply bake multiple cakes and stack them on top of each other with frosting in between.
No matter which variation you choose, the secret ingredient in this recipe (vanilla extract) will remain present, making it difficult to resist upon sinking one’s teeth into it. Enjoy!
Serving and Pairing
The Pf Changs Great Wall of Chocolate Cake is a decadent dessert that is perfect for any special occasion or celebration. This cake is so rich and chocolaty that a small slice goes a long way, making it perfect for sharing with friends and family.
When it comes to serving this cake, the possibilities are endless. You can serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream to balance out the rich chocolate flavor. You can also sprinkle some fresh berries on top for a pop of color and added freshness.
This cake pairs perfectly with a variety of beverages, such as milk, coffee, or even red wine. For those who prefer non-alcoholic options, a glass of cold milk or hot cocoa will bring out the flavors of the chocolate in this cake. If you prefer something stronger, a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon or Port will complement the richness and complexity of the chocolate.
As an alternative serving option, you can also cut the cake into smaller squares and serve them alongside other desserts for an impressive dessert spread. This cake can stand on its own as the centerpiece of any dessert table or as a sweet ending to a dinner party.
No matter how you choose to serve this cake, make sure to savor every bite and indulge in its luscious texture and intense chocolate flavor.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Once you’ve mastered this Pf Changs Great Wall of Chocolate Cake recipe, you may find yourself wanting to make it in advance to save some time later. The good news is that this cake is perfect for making ahead! You can bake and assemble the cake up to a day or two ahead of your event and keep it in the fridge.
If you plan on storing the cake any longer than a day, it’s best to wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place it in an airtight container to prevent any moisture from getting to it. When storing, be sure to remove any decorations such as chocolate chips that can melt or discolor the frosting.
When you’re ready to serve your Great Wall of Chocolate Cake, you can reheat individual slices in the microwave for about 10-15 seconds each or serve them at room temperature. If the cake has been refrigerated, let it sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes before serving so that it can soften and become more flavorful.
Just remember that chocolate cakes tend to dry out quickly, so make sure to store them properly and serve them as soon as possible. With these tips, you’ll be able to enjoy your delicious Pf Changs Great Wall of Chocolate Cake for days after baking!
Tips for Perfect Results
When it comes to making the Pf Changs Great Wall of Chocolate Cake Recipe, there are a few tips and tricks that I’ve discovered to make the process go even smoother and yield the best possible results. Here are some tips that I recommend trying out:
1. Use room temperature ingredients: It’s important to let your eggs, butter, and heavy cream reach room temperature before using them in the recipe. This will ensure that all of the ingredients mix together seamlessly and create a cohesive mixture.
2. Melt chocolate in a double boiler: In order to melt the bittersweet chocolate for the cake layers, I highly recommend using a double boiler. This prevents the chocolate from burning or becoming too hot, which can make it difficult to work with.
3. Use proper baking techniques: For best results, use baking techniques such as properly measuring out all ingredients with measuring cups or kitchen scales, sifting flour and cocoa powder to remove any lumps and airing; preheating your oven before adding your multiple cake layers; not overmixing your batter and ensuring that you bake at the right temperature.
4. Give sufficient time for cooling down: While it can be hard to resist diving into this Great Wall of Chocolate Cake right away, It is important that you do not stack or frost the cake layers immediately after taking them out of the oven, instead let them cool for at least 30 minutes at roon temperature on separate cooling wracks.
5. Add vanilla extract for an extra kick: although vanilla extract is listed twice in the ingredient list, at different stages of making this recipe its aroma virtually grows by putting into each mixture an extra teaspoon of vanilla extract. As a result you will get wonderfully fragrant and flavored chocolate cake.
By taking these tips into consideration when making your Pf Changs Great Wall of Chocolate Cake Recipe, you’ll be well on your way to creating a delicious dessert that’s perfect for any occasion!
Now that you have all the essential information about the Great Wall of Chocolate Cake Recipe, it’s time to address some frequently asked questions to clear up any doubts or confusion. In Item 9, we will go over some of the most commonly asked questions about this recipe and provide you with all the necessary answers. From substitution options to ingredient measurements and more, this section will help you understand everything you need to know. So, let’s dive right in!
Why is it called Crazy Cake?
Wacky Cake is a type of chocolate cake that got its name from the unique way it is mixed and the absence of eggs among its ingredients. Would you like to know what ingredients are used to bake this delicious cake? Keep reading to find out!
How to make a Mary Berry chocolate cake?
To make the cake, you will need 2 ounces (50 grams) of cocoa and 6 tablespoons of boiling water. Separate 3 eggs and set aside the yolks. Add 2 tablespoons of milk to the yolks and whisk together. In a separate bowl, sift together 6 ounces (175 grams) of self-raising flour and 1 rounded teaspoon of baking powder. Cream 4 ounces (100 grams) of baking spread or soft butter until it is soft and fluffy.
In conclusion, this Pf Chang’s Great Wall of Chocolate Cake recipe is a must-try for all chocolate lovers out there. Its moist and decadent layers of chocolate cake, adorned with rich chocolate frosting and topped with bits of bittersweet chocolate, make it the perfect dessert for any occasion.
Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or simply indulging in your sweet tooth cravings, this cake is guaranteed to satisfy your taste buds. The recipe is easy to follow, and with a little patience and effort, you can create a mouth-watering dessert that will get you endless compliments from your friends and family.
So what are you waiting for? Head to your kitchen, grab the ingredients in our list, and start baking your very own Great Wall of Chocolate Cake! You won’t regret it.
Pf Changs Great Wall of Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 5 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups milk, at room temperature
Chocolate Ganache Frosting
- 18 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/3 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter 2 - 9" round cake pans. LIne the bottoms of the pans with circles of baking parchment or wax paper. Dust the sides of the pans with flour and tap out the excess.
- In a microwave-sage bowl, melt the chocolate on High for 1 to 2 minutes, or until melted, stirring halfway through cooking. Set the chocolate aside to cool to room temperature for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, stir the flour, baking powder and salt together with a whisk.
- In another large bowl, using a handheld electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until combined. Beat in the melted chocolate and vanilla extract. One at a time, add the eggs, beating well after each addition. Add the flour mixture and milk in thirds, beating until just combined. Scrape the batter into the prepared pans and spread evenly. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center of each layer comes out clean. Transfer the pans to a wire rack. Cool 10 minutes. Carefully invert the cake layers onto the rack and cool completely.
- To make Frosting:.
- Place the chocolate into a large bowl.
- In a saucepan, bring the cream, rspberry jam, butter and salt just to a boil. Pour over the chocolate and let it stand for 1 minute. Whisk until smooth, then mix in the vanilla extract.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let the frosing thicken overnight at room temperature or refrigerate it for no longer then 1 1/2 hours.
- To assemble Cake:.
- Place one layer on a serving plate, Spread frosing over the cake and top with the second cake layer. Frost the outside of the cake first, then the top.
- Store in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Steven is a chef by heritage, so it’s no wonder why baking is such a big part of who he is. To share his passion for all things sweet, he created cookiesncrepes.com. It’s the perfect platform to indulge in delicious treats, all with a sprinkle of his signature flare.