Greetings, fellow chocolate enthusiasts! If you think that all chocolate cakes are created equal, then think again. Today, I am going to introduce you to a cake recipe that is going to blow your mind – the Killer Chocolate Cake.
This cake is not for the faint of heart nor for those on a strict diet. It is a decadent and rich chocolate cake that is perfect for special occasions or a cheat day. This cake has been passed down from generation to generation in my family, and it’s become our go-to recipe for celebrating life’s precious moments.
If you’re a fan of dense and moist chocolate cakes that melt in your mouth, then look no further than the Killer Chocolate Cake. This recipe combines the rich flavor of Devil’s Food cake mix with instant chocolate pudding mix, cocoa powder, and other delicious ingredients. The end result is a heavenly dessert that will have you dreaming about it for days.
Don’t just take my word for it though! Give this recipe a try and discover your own love affair with this delicious treat. So go ahead and preheat your oven to 350F – it’s time to start baking the ultimate chocolate indulgence.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Listen closely, fellow cake enthusiasts! This Killer Chocolate Cake recipe is about to change your life. You may be thinking, “What’s the big deal? It’s just another chocolate cake recipe.” Oh no, dear reader, this is not just any chocolate cake recipe. This is the Grandma Killer Chocolate Cake that will knock your socks off and leave you begging for more.
Firstly, let’s talk about the flavor. This cake has an intense chocolate flavor that will transport you to a world of pure indulgence. The combination of Devil’s food cake mix, instant chocolate pudding mix and cocoa powder will guarantee a rich chocolate storm in every bite. Trust me, it’s like a symphony of chocolate dancing around your taste buds.
Secondly, the texture is beyond amazing. The addition of sour cream and milk makes it moist and dense yet still fluffy and light. It’s like biting into a heavenly cloud of fudge cake perfection.
Finally, this recipe is versatile and easy to make. You can add pecans or switch the frosting with other flavors such as Cool Whip or chocolate ganache to make it fit any occasion you have in mind. Plus, with simple instructions that anyone can follow, you’ll have a delicious homemade cake on your table in no time.
In conclusion, if you’re looking for an amazing chocolate cake that will impress everyone at your next gathering or simply satisfy your sweet tooth cravings, then give this recipe a try. It’s worth every single calorie and will quickly become one of your go-to dessert recipes, trust me on this one.
- 1 box (15.25 oz) chocolate cake mix
- 1 package (3.9 oz) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 cup milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
This killer chocolate cake requires basic ingredients that you can easily find at your local grocery store. The secret ingredient is the instant chocolate pudding mix which adds extra moisture and richness to the cake. Make sure to use unsalted butter to control the salt content in your recipe. Also, a good quality semisweet chocolate chips will enhance the flavor of this amazing cake.
The Recipe How-To
Here’s where the real magic happens. Follow these steps and you’ll be on your way to creating a rich, chocolatey masterpiece that could make even James Patterson forget about his latest thriller.
Gathering Your Ingredients
Before diving in, make sure you have all of your ingredients ready to go. It’s not a race, take your time and measure everything carefully. The quality of this recipe depends on the precision of ingredients.
You will need:
- 1 package devil’s food cake mix
- 1 package (3.9oz) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans
Preparing The Batter
- Begin by preheating your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour three cake pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, vegetable oil, eggs and milk.
- Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and chopped pecans until well-distributed through the mixture.
Baking The Cake
- Divide the batter evenly between the three prepared cake pans.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool in their pans for 10 minutes before transferring them onto a wire rack to completely cool off.
Assembling The Cake
Once all three layers are cooled down:
- Put your first layer on your desired serving plate.
- Spread frosting over the top of it with an offset spatula or knife.
- Place another layer on top of the frosting and repeat the process with each layer until all three layers are stacked.
- Decorate as desired with additional frosting and chopped pecans on top.
Now slice yourself a generous piece of that killer chocolate cake and savor every intense bite!
Substitutions and Variations
When it comes to baking, there’s always room for some creativity. Here are some substitutions and variations that you can try:
– Nuts: Instead of pecans, you can use other nuts like walnuts or almonds for a different flavor.
– Toppings: Instead of Cool Whip, you can use whipped cream or frosting to cover the cake. You can also sprinkle more nuts or grated chocolate on top.
– Pudding Mix: If you don’t have instant chocolate pudding mix, you can use other flavors like vanilla or butterscotch. You can also use regular cooked pudding, but it will take longer to set and cool.
– Cake Mix: If you can’t find Devil’s Food cake mix, you can use other chocolate cake mixes or make your own from scratch using cocoa powder and flour.
– Flour: Instead of all-purpose flour, you can use cake flour for a lighter texture, or whole wheat flour for a healthier option.
– Sour Cream: Instead of sour cream, you can use yogurt, buttermilk or even mayonnaise for a tangy taste.
– Chocolate Storm Cake: To make a Chocolate Storm Cake variation, simply bake two chocolate cakes and sandwich them together with a layer of ganache or frosting. Don’t forget to add some chopped nuts or sprinkles on top for extra crunch.
Remember to adjust the baking time and temperature accordingly when making substitutions or variations. Experiment with different combinations until you find your favorite recipe.
Serving and Pairing
Now that you have baked your delicious Grandma Killer Chocolate Cake, it’s time to serve it up and add a little pizzazz to its presentation!
First, consider adding some chopped pecans to the frosting. These will add a delightful crunch that complements the smooth, rich texture of the cake. You can also sprinkle some powdered sugar on top for a decadent finishing touch.
To pair with your Killer Chocolate Cake, consider serving it with a dollop of Cool Whip, vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. The subtle flavors of these toppings won’t overpower the chocolate, but they will complement it perfectly. Additionally, a hot cup of coffee is an excellent choice for those who prefer something warm to go with their cake.
If you’re looking to go above and beyond, try drizzling some chocolate ganache over the top of your cake before serving. This simple addition will elevate your cake to a new level of chocolatey goodness.
Remember, presentation is key! For an extra special touch, place your cake on a decorative platter or cake stand. You can even add a few fresh raspberries or strawberries as garnish.
Whatever serving method you choose, be prepared for those who sink their teeth into this killer dessert to come back asking for more.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
When it comes to baking, sometimes it’s nice to get a head start. That’s why I love this killer chocolate cake recipe – you can make it ahead of time and store it for later!
To make the cake ahead of time, simply bake as directed and allow it to cool completely. Once cooled, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and store in the fridge for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to serve the cake, take it out of the fridge or freezer and allow it to come to room temperature.
If you’re looking to store any leftover cake, be sure to wrap it tightly with plastic wrap or store in an airtight container. It will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days, but trust me – it won’t last that long!
To reheat the cake, simply pop it in the microwave for a few seconds or place it in a 350°F oven until warmed through. Pair with some Cool Whip and chopped pecans for an extra decadent treat.
Remember not to refrigerate your killer chocolate cake if you intend not serving immediately. Store well covered at room temperature on any kitchen counter or suitable refrigerator shelf.
Tips for Perfect Results
To guarantee a perfect outcome when baking my grandma’s killer chocolate cake, here are some helpful tips that I recommend.
Firstly, always make sure to preheat your oven to 350°F. This cake requires a specific temperature, and it’s important to let your oven heat up before you start the baking process.
Secondly, while measuring ingredients for this recipe, use measuring utensils such as cups and spoons instead of estimating amounts by eye. Precise measurements ensure that the cake has the right texture, consistency, and taste.
Thirdly, use high-quality ingredients for best results. This recipe is all about indulgence, and it’s important to use real butter, pure vanilla extract, fresh eggs, and good quality cocoa powder. It makes a huge difference in the end product!
Fourthly, be sure not to overmix your batter. Mix it until all ingredients are combined; then stop stirring. Overmixing leads to gluten development in the flour which results in a dense and tough cake which we want to avoid at all costs.
Fifthly, if you want to add any variations or substitutions to the recipe mentioned above, keep in mind that each ingredient serves its unique purpose in making this cake so make sure that any change does not ruin its balance.
Finally, let your cake cool for at least fifteen minutes before slicing it. The texture will set and become more stable during this time, making it easier to slice into perfect pieces.
Following these tips will ensure that your grandma killer chocolate cake turns out perfectly every time you bake it!
As a baker, I know that sometimes even the best recipe can leave us with doubts and questions. That’s why I’ve put together this FAQ section to answer some of the most common concerns that might arise when making this killer chocolate cake. From substitutions to baking tips, here are some answers to help you avoid any bumps on the road to chocolate heaven.
What makes Devil’s food cake different from chocolate?
One type of chocolate cake is known as Devil’s food cake. What sets it apart from other chocolate cakes is the inclusion of more baking soda, which helps to deepen its color. This variety typically includes butter or a substitute, flour, and a lower amount of egg compared to other chocolate cakes.
Is devil’s food cake mix just chocolate?
It’s not uncommon to mistakenly classify a Devil’s food cake as just another type of chocolate cake. However, it’s important to note that Devil’s food cake stands out for its richer, darker, and fluffier texture, which is achieved by incorporating cocoa powder and a bit more baking soda.
What is devil’s chocolate cake?
Devil’s Food Cake is a classic recipe that has been enjoyed for over a century. This chocolate cake is famously dark, thanks to the use of ingredients like dutch-processed cocoa powder, baking soda, sour cream, and coffee. These components not only contribute to the cake’s deep color but also provide a rich and flavorful taste.
Why is it called Devil’s cake?
The cake we’re making today has an interesting backstory behind its name. In the 18th century, food with intense flavors like chocolatey, spicy or dark was referred to as “deviled”. This particular chocolate cake was deemed as almost “sinful” due to its richness and earned the name Devil’s Food. So, let’s begin baking our very own Devil’s Food Cake!
As you can see, the “Killer Chocolate Cake” recipe is an absolute must-try for chocolate cake lovers. The delicious blend of ingredients offers a rich, decadent flavor profile that’s guaranteed to wow your taste buds.
Whether you’re an experienced baker or a novice in the kitchen, this recipe is a breeze to follow and results in a stunning cake that’s sure to impress. With its moist texture and heavenly sweetness, this cake is perfect for special occasions, potlucks, or just a little indulgence after dinner.
So why not treat yourself (and your loved ones) to a slice of pure chocolate perfection? With its easy-to-find ingredients and simple instructions, there’s no excuse not to whip up this recipe today. I guarantee you won’t regret it!
Killer Chocolate Cake.. Recipe
- 18 1/4 ounces swiss chocolate cake mix
- 3 1/4 ounces instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 12 ounces Cool Whip, thawed
- 1 cup toasted pecans
- 2 (1 1/2 ounce) plain Hershey Bars, chopped
- to make Killer Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350*.Lightly grease and flour 13x9 baking pan.
- Combine all ingredients in large mixing bowl with electric mixer on low to combine and then medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour cake and pour into prepared 13x9 pan. Bake 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and freeze immediately.
- DO NOT COOL FIRST!
- In a large bowl, combine softened cream cheese with 1 cup powdered sugar and beat till well combined.
- Gradually add granulated sugar and 1 tsp vanilla.Mix well.
- Fold in 12 oz Cool Whip till well incorporated.
- Spread frosting on frozen cake and then sprinkle with 1 cup toasted, chopped pecans and 2 Hershey bars, chopped.
- Refrigerate, Be sure it is thawed before serving.
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Steven is a chef by heritage, so it’s no wonder why baking is such a big part of who he is. To share his passion for all things sweet, he created cookiesncrepes.com. It’s the perfect platform to indulge in delicious treats, all with a sprinkle of his signature flare.