Ahoy there, fellow bakers! Today, I’m excited to share with you one of my all-time favorite muffin recipes – the butter rum muffins recipe. If you’re a fan of hot buttered rum, then you’ll surely love these muffins. The combination of aromatic spices, rich butter, and the unmistakable flavor of spiced rum is bound to make your taste buds dance with joy.
Preparing these muffins is a breeze, and they make for the perfect companion to a cup of coffee or tea. Not to mention, they also make for an excellent dessert option when hosting friends and family since they are quirky yet appealing.
In this article, I’ll be sharing with you everything you need to know about preparing these delicious muffins right from the comfort of your own kitchen. So without further ado, let’s get baking!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
If you’re looking for a delectable treat, look no further than these scrumptious Butter Rum Muffins. Hailing from the United States, this recipe is here to tantalize your taste buds like never before. You’ll love the subtle blend of warm buttery flavors and the kick of spiced rum that makes these muffins truly irresistible.
These muffins are perfect for any occasion, be it a quick breakfast, a snack or even a decadent dessert. Their soft, moist texture pairs perfectly with a cup of hot coffee or tea, making them excellent to enjoy in the morning or as an afternoon delight. But don’t be fooled by their simplicity, these muffins pack quite a punch in flavor and are sure to impress anyone lucky enough to try them.
Not only do they boast big flavors, but this recipe is also straightforward and easy to follow. Even if you’ve never been much of a baker before, these muffins are an excellent starting point to test your skills. The ingredient list is simple yet effective, requiring basic household items that can be found in your pantry or fridge. You just need milk, sugar, rum and various spices such as nutmeg and cloves along with flour, baking powder, eggs and unsalted butter.
This treat is especially perfect for those who love the taste of hot buttered rum but looking for more warmth from their bakes instead of chilled drinks. Besides rum extract or spiced rum, you could also add butterscotch chips to bring an additionally sweet and caramel note that pairs gorgeously with the hints of rum flavoring.
In conclusion, you won’t want to miss out on this delicious Butter Rum Muffin recipe that promises to deliver on both taste and simplicity. Whether enjoyed alone or shared with friends and family at any time of day, these muffins will have you always craving more.
To make Butter Rum Muffins, you will need the following ingredients:
– 2 cups of all-purpose flour
– 2 teaspoons of baking powder
– 1/2 teaspoon of salt
– 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
– 1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves
– 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) of butter, at room temperature
– 1 cup of granulated sugar
– 2 large eggs, at room temperature
– 1 teaspoon of rum-flavored extract or spiced rum
– 1/2 cup milk
– Optional: 1/2 cup of butterscotch chips
Note: To make Butter Rum Muffins with a richer taste, you can substitute half a cup of granulated sugar with brown sugar.
You can easily find these ingredients at your local grocery store. Get everything ready and pre-measure the ingredients before starting to mix the batter to ensure you have everything on hand.
The Recipe How-To
Now, let’s get down to baking the Butter Rum Muffins. Below are the step-by-step instructions to make these scrumptious treats.
Before we start, let’s gather all the necessary ingredients:
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon of ground cloves
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon butter flavoring extract
- 1 tablespoon rum flavoring extract
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup milk
- Optional: butterscotch chips, spiced rum
Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and line a muffin pan with paper liners.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and cloves. Set aside.
In another large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Stir in both extracts―butter and rum.
Gradually mix in the sour cream alternately with the milk until fully combined into a homogeneous mixture.
Fold in the flour mixture into the wet ingredients just until combined. Do not overmix or your muffins will turn out tough.
If you want to add any mix-ins like butterscotch chips or spiced rum, this is the time to do it.
Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups until almost full.
Bake for about 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Once done, remove from oven and transfer them onto a wire rack to cool completely before serving with a hot cup of tea or coffee!
Making these Butter Rum Muffins is very easy! Just follow these simple instructions and enjoy these delicious treats in no time!
Substitutions and Variations
When it comes to baking, one of the best things about experimenting is that you can make it your own. The same applies to this butter rum muffins recipe. If you’re interested in incorporating different flavors or ingredients, here are some substitutions and variations to try out:
– Milk: Feel free to use any milk of your choice. Whether that’s whole, 2%, or 1%, it won’t impact the results in a significant way.
– Sugar: Brown sugar can be substituted for granulated sugar or vice versa. You can also use a combination of brown sugar and white granulated sugar to add depth and more molasses flavor.
– Butter: Margarine or other butter substitutes can be used instead of butter, although it’s worth noting that subbing with vegan butter may change the texture of the muffins.
– Rum: If you don’t want to use actual spiced or regular rum, you can opt for rum extract instead. Keep in mind a little goes a long way – start with small amounts and gradually taste test until the ideal flavor balance is achieved.
– Butterscotch Chips: If you’re not a fan of butterscotch chips, other types of chips such as chocolate or white chocolate will work just fine. If you want something more substantial instead of chips, consider adding chopped nuts like pecans, walnuts or almonds.
– Spices: As far as spices go, you can change it up by introducing cinnamon, ginger, cardamom or cloves into the mix. Be careful in how much of these spices you add, as they have strong flavors and can quickly overpower the delicate balance of the muffins.
When modifying recipes, always take care in how much substitution or variation made to avoid changing the outcome entirely. The best advice is to take notes on what worked well and tweak accordingly for next time!
Serving and Pairing
Now that your butter rum muffins are baked to perfection, what’s the best way to savor them? These muffins have a warm and comforting flavor that will pair perfectly with a hot cup of coffee or tea for breakfast or an afternoon snack.
Since these muffins are moist and have a delicate texture, I recommend serving them with a dollop of whipped cream, dusted with some ground nutmeg or cloves. You can also add a light drizzle of caramel or chocolate sauce for an extra special treat.
If you want to take things up a notch, try pairing these butter rum muffins with a glass of spiced rum or hot buttered rum. Trust me, it’s the perfect way to relax and unwind on a chilly evening.
For an added touch of sweetness, serve these muffins with a side of fresh fruit, such as sliced bananas or strawberries. The sweet and tangy flavors will complement the rich warmth of the muffin perfectly.
Overall, these butter rum muffins are versatile enough to enjoy any time of day. Whether you’re treating yourself to an indulgent breakfast or dessert after dinner, this recipe is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
As tempting as it may be to devour all of these butter rum muffins straight out of the oven, they can be made ahead of time and stored for later. Once you have finished baking the muffins, allow them to cool down to room temperature before storing them in an airtight container or re-sealable bag. They should stay fresh and delicious for up to three days.
To reheat the muffins, preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and place them on a baking sheet. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes until they are warm and the edges are slightly crisp. Alternatively, you may warm them up in the microwave for a few seconds.
If you want to make these muffins well in advance for a special occasion, they can also be frozen. First, allow them to cool down completely and place them in an airtight container or freezer-safe bag. They can last up to three months in the freezer. When you are ready to enjoy them again, simply thaw them overnight in the fridge or at room temperature for a few hours before reheating.
One tip to keep in mind if you plan on making these muffins ahead of time is that they do contain alcohol from the rum. If you want to reduce the alcohol content or omit it entirely, consider using rum flavoring instead of spiced rum.
With these tips, you will be able to enjoy butter rum muffins anytime without having to worry about making them from scratch each time. Plus, they make a perfect dessert option to take along with you wherever you go!
Tips for Perfect Results
Butter rum muffins are absolutely delectable. And if you want a light, soft crumb and a moist consistent texture, you must take care of some critical points to get perfect results. Below are my favorite tips for baking the best butter rum muffins.
Firstly, do not overmix the batter. Overmixing leads to the development of gluten in the flour and produces tougher and chewier muffins. The perfect way to mix your batter is by stirring gently with a spatula until all ingredients are combined. A few tiny lumps can remain because they will disappear while baking.
Another tip is to use room temperature butter and eggs. A butter at room temperature allows it to cream better with sugar, making for finer blend than tough granulated sugar melt just right into super-soft butter when beaten at medium speed in stand mixer or electric hand mixer. This also creates air pockets that lift the baked goods’ structure resulting in fluffy cupcakes. And with eggs at room temperature, they readily mix evenly into the batter.
Make sure that all ingredients are measured accurately, especially baking powder and baking soda. Leaveners such as baking powder and baking soda gives those little muffin domes which everyone loves, so be careful not to add too much of them or the result will be dry or undercooked muffins.
Don’t forget to preheat your oven beforehand since this is a crucial part of ensuring even baking qualities throughout your butter rum muffin pan.Baking time can depend on your oven’s make, age, model and heating habits so keep an eye on your muffins about halfway through their allotted time in order to avoid overdoing them.
Finally, allow the muffins to cool after then reheating until warm before serving for morning breakfast or tea time snacks later in the day.
With these hints, you have just made freshly baked hot butter rum muffins right from your kitchen- tender on the inside with crispy edges that will leave everyone asking for more!
In conclusion, I urge you to try this delicious and flavorful recipe of Butter Rum Muffins if you haven’t yet. It’s a perfect treat for any occasion, whether you’re hosting a party or just craving something sweet and comforting.
The rich buttery flavor combined with the warm essence of rum make these muffins a crowd favorite. With a soft and fluffy texture, they’re perfect for breakfast or as an afternoon snack. The subtle blend of ground nutmeg, cloves, and spiced rum creates a heavenly aroma that’ll fill your kitchen.
This recipe is simple to follow, with easy-to-find ingredients that won’t break your bank. Plus, with helpful tips and variations provided throughout the article, you can easily customize it to suit your taste buds.
Whether you’re an experienced baker or just starting out, these muffins are sure to impress everyone who takes a bite. Trust me; you won’t regret it!
So, go ahead and indulge in some hot buttered rum muffins today. Share them with your friends and loved ones and enjoy this flavorful recipe that promises to warm your heart and soul. Until then, happy baking!
Butter Rum Muffins Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons rum
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- milk, if needed
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease or line 12 muffin cups.
- Beat butter with electic mixer until creamy; add 1/2 cup sugar, beating well.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, cloves and nutmeg in a separate bowl.
- Combine milk and 3 tablespoons of rum in another bowl.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with milk mixture, ending with flour mixture and combining only until JUST blended.
- Spoon batter into muffin pan, filling 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from pans immediately and cool on a wire rack.
- Alternatively, you can make mini-muffins; bake for about 15 minutes.
- Combine remaining 2 tablespoons rum and 3 tablespoons of sugar in a small saucepan; heat slowly, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves.
- If mixture is too thick, add a little milk.
- Brush glaze over warm muffins.
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Steven is a chef by heritage, so it’s no wonder why baking is such a big part of who he is. To share his passion for all things sweet, he created cookiesncrepes.com. It’s the perfect platform to indulge in delicious treats, all with a sprinkle of his signature flare.