As I sit here, writing this recipe article on Unicorn Cake Truffles, I can’t help but get excited about the magical and whimsical appeal that these little bites of heaven hold. These are not just cake truffles; they are completely enchanting and sure to make any day magical.
Unicorn cake truffles are essentially cake pops or cake balls that have been transformed into a magical unicorn dessert with pastel colors, shimmering details, and adorned with sprinkles. This recipe has taken the traditional truffle recipe and turned it into a rainbow-colored dessert that looks straight out of a fairytale.
But what makes Unicorn Cake Truffles special is not just their appearance; the combination of the crumbed cake, frosting, and white chocolate coating creates a smooth and indulgent mouthfeel. The truffle melts in your mouth like a dream, leaving you satisfied yet looking for more. Trust me when I say that they are uniquely delicious and addictive at the same time.
Not only do these truffles look delightful, but they are also easy to make with just a few ingredients, including any leftover cake mix you have. So if you’re ready to create an epic experience, bring some magic home by making these Unicorn Cake Truffles. It’s time to have fun and transport yourself to a world of unicorns and rainbows!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Attention all sweet-toothed individuals! Have you been searching for a magical dessert that will transport you to a world of unicorns and rainbows? Look no further than these Unicorn Cake Truffles!
These delectable treats are not just ordinary cake pops but they are the embodiment of all things magical. Made with cake mix, eggs, and water, these cake truffles are blended until light and fluffy. They are then rolled into balls and coated in white chocolate or colorful candy melts. To make them even more enchanting, these truffles are topped with sprinkles or chocolate chips to give an extra punch of sweetness.
But what truly sets these cake truffles apart from other desserts is their stunning appearance. The rainbow cake mix provides a delightful and colorful surprise in every bite that will make your mouth water. It’s hard to resist the allure of these unicorn-themed dessert that makes any day feel magical.
Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion like a birthday party or just want to indulge in some fun and whimsy, these Unicorn Cake Truffles are the perfect treat to satisfy your cravings. Serve them as a standalone dessert or opt for pairing with ice cream for an even more decadent dessert experience.
So don’t miss out on making your day magical with this scrumptious recipe. Once you try it, you’ll understand why unicorns would approve of this delightful creation.
Here are the ingredients you will need for the Unicorn Cake Truffles Recipe:
For the unicorn cake:
- 1 box of white cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup of oil
- 1 cup of water
- Gel food coloring (in rainbow colors: pink, yellow, blue and purple)
For the truffles:
- 1/2 cup of frosting
- 6 oz of white chocolate or candy melts
- Gel food coloring (in rainbow colors: pink, yellow, blue and purple)
- Decorations (sprinkles, chocolate chips, topped sprinkles)
Make sure to select high-quality ingredients to make a delicious batch of Unicorn Cake Truffles. Also, don’t forget to follow the measurements and instructions to create the perfect texture for your cake truffles.
The Recipe How-To
Unleash your inner magical unicorn and let’s get started with making these delightful Unicorn Cake Truffles!
- 1 (15.25 oz) box of rainbow cake mix (plus ingredients required on the box EXCEPT WATER)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 (16 oz) container vanilla frosting
- Gel food coloring in pink, blue, purple, and yellow
- Unicorn sprinkles, for topping
First, prepare the rainbow cake mix according to the package instructions, but replace WATER with MILK to make the cake batter richer.
After baking the cake, let it cool completely then crumble it into a large bowl.
In a separate bowl, melt the white chocolate chips in a microwave by heating them up for 30 seconds at a time and stirring each time until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Be careful not to overheat the chocolate!
Add the melted white chocolate and vanilla frosting into the crumbled cake then mix until well-combined.
Divide cake mixture into four bowls. Add a different gel food coloring into each bowl until desired color is achieved.
Roll each colored cake mixture into small balls then place them onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Freeze for at least one hour.
In another microwave-safe bowl, melt some candy melts following package instructions. These will be used as coating for the Unicorn Cake Truffles.
Take out the frozen cake balls from the freezer and dip them one-by-one into the melted candy melts. Place them back onto parchment paper and sprinkle with some unicorn sprinkles while still wet. Let dry completely before serving.
Enjoy your magical looking and delicious tasting Unicorn Cake Truffles with your loved ones or share them at special events like birthdays or anniversaries!
Substitutions and Variations
If you’re looking to switch things up with this recipe, there are plenty of substitutions and variations at your fingertips. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
– Cake Mix: While we used vanilla cake mix for this recipe, feel free to experiment with other flavors like chocolate, strawberry, or lemon. You could also use a homemade cake recipe if you prefer.
– Coating: Instead of using candy melts or almond bark for the coating, try using tempered chocolate or white chocolate chips. You could even crush up some cookies or graham crackers and mix them into the coating for a fun texture.
– Coloring: Want to make your unicorn cake truffles even more magical? Add some gel food coloring to the cake batter before rolling it into balls. You could make them all one color or create a rainbow effect by dividing the batter and coloring each portion differently.
– Toppings: The possibilities are endless when it comes to toppings. We used sprinkles for our unicorn cake truffles, but you could also try edible glitter, crushed freeze-dried fruit, chopped nuts, or even small pieces of candy.
Remember, these are just a few ideas to get you inspired – feel free to get creative and make this recipe your own!
Serving and Pairing
Once you have made your magical Unicorn Cake Truffles, it’s time to indulge in these heavenly treats. These little bites of joy make fantastic party snacks or can be served as a delightful after-dinner dessert.
Since these cake truffles are so versatile, they can be paired with many different drinks or desserts to create a unique flavor experience. One classic pairing is with hot tea, especially matcha or chamomile tea. The tea brings out the flavors of the chocolate and cake truffle while cleansing the palate for the next bite.
Another pairing idea is to serve these Unicorn Cake Truffles along with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, creating that perfect balance of creamy and chocolatey goodness.
For those who are feeling extra creative, try decorating your truffles in different ways that fit with the unicorn theme. You can sprinkle rainbow sprinkles or edible glitter on top, use candy melts in various colors for dipping, and even use gel food coloring to create colorful swirls on the truffle’s exterior.
In short, these Unicorn Cake Truffles are a fun addition to any themed party, birthday celebration or after-dinner dessert. You can add other unicorn desserts like surprise cakes or rainbow cake truffles from your repertoire and create an entire spread of magical and delicious unicorn treats that will definitely impress your guests!.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
If you’re planning on making these Unicorn Cake Truffles for a special occasion or just ahead of time, you’ll be happy to know they can be made ahead and stored easily. In fact, making them the day before your event can allow for the flavors to meld together even more.
To make these truffles ahead of time, simply follow the recipe instructions as normal and shape them into balls. After dipping them into melted chocolate and adding sprinkles or other toppings, let them dry completely. Once dry, place them in an airtight container and store them in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
If you have any leftover truffles (hard to imagine, I know!), they can also be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. Just note that they may not be as fresh and delicious as when first made.
When it comes time to serve your truffles, it’s best to let them come up to room temperature before serving. This allows for the flavors to be more pronounced and not masked by the chill of the refrigerator. You can also reheat them slightly in the microwave if you prefer a warm, gooey center.
Overall, these Unicorn Cake Truffles are a magical treat that comes together quickly and can be enjoyed right away or stored for later. So go ahead and make a batch (or two) today and make your next event one that’s truly unforgettable!
Tips for Perfect Results
To ensure your unicorn cake truffles turn out to be as magical as can be, I’m sharing with you some essential tips for perfect results.
Firstly, it’s important to use a good quality cake mix. You want the cake to have a moist and firm texture, which will help the truffles hold their shape when rolled.
Another tip is to make sure that the cake is completely cooled before beginning the process of making truffles. If the cake is still warm or slightly hot, it may cause the chocolate shell to crack, making it difficult to coat the truffles.
When mixing in frosting for your truffle mixture, try adding small amounts gradually until you reach the desired consistency. Too much frosting can cause the mixture to become too soft and challenging to shape into balls.
It’s also crucial to ensure that all equipment and ingredients are at room temperature before starting. Cold ingredients can affect the texture and consistency of the truffles.
When dipping your truffles in chocolate or candy melts, use a fork or dipping tool instead of skewers. Skewers can create holes in the truffle balls and ruin their appearance.
If you want your unicorn cake truffles to be topped with sprinkles, do so as soon as possible after dipping in melted chocolate or candy melts, while they are still wet. This way, the sprinkles will stick perfectly.
Lastly, store your truffles in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks or freeze them for up to three months. When defrosting frozen truffles, it’s best to let them defrost in the fridge overnight rather than on a countertop at room temperature.
By following these tips, you’re sure to end up with perfectly shaped and deliciously tasting unicorn cake truffles that will make any day magical!
As we wrap up this recipe, let me address some frequently asked questions that can help you prepare and execute this Unicorn Cake Truffles recipe perfectly. These FAQs will provide additional insights and guidance to help you make those day magical treats. So, let’s dive right into it.
What are cake truffles made of?
If you’re looking for something sweet and bite-sized, cake truffles might just be the perfect treat for you. These treats consist of a blend of cake crumbs and frosting that is then dipped in chocolate or candy melts. For a finishing touch, toppings like sprinkles or coconut flakes can be added. These truffles are a great way to enjoy the flavors of a cake in a compact and delicious form.
Is a truffle the same and a cake pop?
These delectable sweet treats can be referred to in a variety of ways such as cake truffles, cake balls, or cake pops. However, my preference is to call them cake truffles as they are elevated versions of the standard cake ball. The secret to achieving their superior taste is beginning with a fresh and moist cake that has been made from scratch. Trust me, you’ll definitely notice the difference.
What does the unicorn cake pop taste like?
Indulge in the enchanted world of Unicorn Cake Pops, a delightful treat that will transport you to a whimsical wonderland. These tiny delights consist of a delectable cake center that is enveloped in a smooth, vanilla-flavored white coating and topped with a kaleidoscope of colorful sprinkles. Get ready for a magical experience! The recipe is detailed below for you to create your own Unicorn Cake Pops at home.
In conclusion, this unicorn cake truffles recipe is the perfect way to add some enchantment to any occasion. Whether you’re celebrating a birthday, hosting a party or just in need of a magical treat, these delightful cake balls are sure to make your day a little more magical.
With simple ingredients and easy-to-follow instructions, this recipe is the perfect baking project for beginners and experienced bakers alike. The possibilities for customization are endless – from different colors to exciting toppings, there’s no wrong way to make these truffles unicorn-approved.
Not only do they taste amazing, but they will also impress all your guests with their rainbow colors and unique presentation. And if you have leftovers (though we doubt it!), they store well in the fridge or freezer for whenever you need a little pick-me-up.
So what are you waiting for? Make your day magical with these unicorn cake truffles – your taste buds (and your inner child) will thank you for it!
Unicorn Cake Truffles Recipe
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) package white cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- pink gel food coloring
- purple gel food coloring
- 4 tablespoons white frosting, divided
- 24 ounces white melting chocolate
- gold luster dust
- 20 sour rainbow belt candies
- food coloring, writing pens (pink & black)
- SPECIAL EQUIPMENT:
- 1 (1 1/2-inch-diameter) ice cream scoop & 20 to 25 popsicle sticks.
- FOR THE CAKE POPS:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 (8-inch) round cake pans with parchment paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together boxed cake mix, eggs, water and oil until well combined.
- Divide the batter in half. Color one half with pink food coloring and the other half with purple.
- Pour the pink batter into a prepared pan and the purple into the other. Bake for about 35 minutes, until a tester inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean. Set aside to cool.
- Once cool, crumble each cake into separate bowls. Add 2 tablespoons frosting to each bowl. Using your hands, mix the frosting with the crumbs until it all comes together.
- Firmly press pieces of pink and purple dough into a 1 1/2-inch ice cream scoop. Roll into a ball between palms of hands. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Chill in the fridge, about 30 minutes.
- DECORATE THE CAKE POPS:
- In a deep bowl, melt the melting chocolate in the microwave at half power using 30-second intervals.
- Dip lollipop sticks into the melted chocolate and then into the cake truffles.
- Let set 10 minutes.
- Dip the truffles into melted chocolate. Carefully tap the pop on the side of the bowl to get rid of any excess chocolate. Place on parchment paper to set.
- Roll out two cylinders of fondant 1” long 1/4” wide. Spiral them together and pinch at the top to form a horn. Repeat to create 20 horns.
- Place a teaspoon of gold luster dust in a small bowl and toss the horns in the gold dust. Set aside to harden slightly.
- Roll a small amount of fondant into two pea size balls. Flatten and pinch at the top to make 2 triangle ear shapes. Repeat to make 20 sets of ears.
- Use a pink food writing pen to color a small triangle in the center of each ear.
- Twist and pull the lollipop sticks to remove them from each truffle.
- Cut 20 3-inch and 20 1-inch pieces of sour belt. Leaving 1/2” at the top, cut the longer belts, vertically between each color, into small strips. Cut the front of the shorter pieces into a triangle and then use small cuts inwards to create fringe.
- Use melted chocolate to attach mane to the top of each truffle. Angle the longer piece to the side so the mane can be seen in the front. Use melted chocolate to attach front hair piece.
- Use melted chocolate to attach the horn on the center top and ears on either side of the mane.
- Use black food writing pen to draw eyes, eyelashes, and nose on the truffles.
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Steven is a chef by heritage, so it’s no wonder why baking is such a big part of who he is. To share his passion for all things sweet, he created cookiesncrepes.com. It’s the perfect platform to indulge in delicious treats, all with a sprinkle of his signature flare.