If you’re a fan of bananas, and love indulging in rich, creamy desserts, then you’re in for a treat! I’m here to introduce you to Dolly Parton’s Banana Pudding Recipe – a classic southern dessert that is sure to knock your socks off. This recipe has been passed down through generations and has become a staple in households across the country.
As a lover of all things sweet, I can attest to the fact that this banana pudding recipe is one of the best out there. The combination of fresh bananas, creamy pudding, and vanilla wafers come together to create a mouth-watering dessert that is perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re celebrating a birthday or simply looking for a tasty treat to satisfy your cravings, Dolly Parton’s Banana Pudding Recipe will not disappoint.
What makes this recipe even more special is the fact that it comes straight from the queen of country music herself – Dolly Parton. Known for her bubbly personality and incredible talent, Dolly has always had a special place in our hearts. And now, with her delicious banana pudding recipe, she has captured our taste buds as well.
So, what are you waiting for? It’s time to grab your apron and get ready to whip up some of the most incredible banana pudding you’ve ever tasted. Trust me – you won’t be disappointed!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
If you’re looking for a dessert that is not only quick and easy to make, but also incredibly delicious, then Dolly Parton’s Banana Pudding Recipe is the perfect choice for you. This classic Southern-style banana pudding recipe has been enjoyed by generations of families and has become a staple in many households.
What makes this recipe so special? First and foremost, the combination of sweet and creamy pudding with ripe, sweet bananas creates a flavor that is truly irresistible. The addition of crunchy vanilla wafers adds a delightful texture that complements the other ingredients perfectly.
This recipe is also incredibly versatile. It can be served as a dessert at a family dinner or as a sweet treat at a party. It’s especially perfect during the summer months when you want something refreshing and light.
The best part about this recipe is its simplicity. With just a handful of ingredients and a few steps, you can have this delicious dessert ready to share with family and friends. Anyone can make it, regardless of their cooking experience.
So why will you love this recipe? Because it perfectly balances sweetness and creaminess while being incredibly easy to make. Trust us, once you try Dolly Parton’s Banana Pudding Recipe, it will quickly become one of your favorite desserts.
Before we get down to the nitty-gritty of how to make Dolly Parton’s famous banana pudding recipe, let’s take a look at what you’ll need. Don’t worry; these are all pretty common ingredients, so you shouldn’t have too much trouble finding them at your local grocery store.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 (12-ounce) box vanilla wafer cookies
- 4 large ripe bananas, sliced
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 pounds yellow Monday bananas, peeled and mashed
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 eggs, separated
- 4 cups milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter or margarine, melted
You will also need a few basic kitchen tools and equipment. Don’t worry if you don’t have everything on this list; you can always improvise with what you have available.
Here are some other things you’ll need:
- Measuring spoons and cups
- A mixing bowl and whisk or electric mixer
- A medium-sized saucepan
- A large baking dish or trifle bowl
Now that you’ve got your ingredients ready let’s get started!
The Recipe How-To
Now, the moment you’ve all been waiting for – it’s time to make Dolly Parton’s famous banana pudding! This recipe is straightforward and doesn’t require any fancy techniques or equipment. Let’s get started.
– 3/4 cup of granulated sugar
– 1/2 teaspoon of salt
– 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
– 3 cups of milk
– 4 egg yolks
– 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
– 1 box of vanilla wafer cookies
– 4 ripe bananas, sliced
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, salt, and flour. Gradually stir in the milk until the mixture is smooth.
- Cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly with a whisk or wooden spoon, until it thickens and comes to a boil (about 10 minutes).
- Reduce the heat to low and cook for an additional two minutes, continuing to stir.
- Beat the four egg yolks in a small bowl and slowly mix in about one cup of the hot mixture into the yolks. Then pour this mixture back into the pan on the stove.
- Cook for an additional two minutes on low heat, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- In a separate mixing bowl, toss together your sliced bananas and about three-quarters of your box of vanilla wafer cookies.
- In a greased, 2-quart casserole dish, start layering your banana pudding by alternating between a layer of custard and a layer of banana-wafer mixture until you reach the top.
- Crush up that leftover handful of vanilla wafers you saved and sprinkle them across the top layer.
- Bake for roughly 15 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
- Allow your creation to cool for at least 15 to 30 minutes prior to serving so that it can firm up properly.
Now that you’ve completed your Dolly Parton banana pudding masterpiece let yourself enjoy every bite!
Substitutions and Variations
It’s always good to have a little bit of flexibility when it comes to cooking. There are times when you may not have all of the ingredients on hand, or you want to switch things up a bit. Here are a few substitutions and variations that you can try out with Dolly Parton’s banana pudding recipe:
– Instead of using all-purpose flour, try using cake flour for a lighter texture. This will work well if you’re looking for a more delicate pudding cake.
– If you prefer a stronger lemon flavor, you can add additional lemon juice or zest to the pudding mix.
– For a richer flavor, substitute some or all of the milk with heavy cream.
– Try incorporating different types of cookies into your banana pudding. Ginger snaps, shortbread cookies or Oreo cookies would work great!
– If you don’t have any bananas on hand or they’re not ripe enough to use, mashed sweet potatoes or pumpkin puree are great substitutes.
– Mix things up by adding in some chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts or almonds) or chocolate chips.
Experimenting with substitutions and variations is what keeps cooking interesting! Don’t be afraid to put your own spin on Dolly Parton’s banana pudding recipe – who knows, you might even end up with a new family favorite.
Serving and Pairing
Once you’ve mastered the Parton Banana Pudding Recipe, it’s time to think about how you want to serve and pair it.
For starters, the classic way to serve this pudding is chilled and with a generous helping of vanilla wafers. The cookies add a nice crunch to the custardy texture of the pudding itself. If you’re feeling fancy, you could also try topping the entire dish with whipped cream for an indulgent finish.
But don’t let tradition hold you back from getting creative. You could mix things up by adding sliced bananas between layers of the pudding or even trying out different types of cookie crumbles. Some people even enjoy adding a layer of whipped peanut butter on top for an extra punch of flavor.
As far as pairing goes, this dessert is perfect for a Southern-inspired meal. Pair it with barbecue or fried chicken for a true down-home feel, or even enjoy it as part of a brunch spread alongside some fluffy pancakes or waffles.
Regardless of how you choose to serve and pair this dish, one thing is certain: Dolly Parton’s Banana Pudding Recipe is an instant crowd-pleaser that is both comforting and delicious down to its last bite.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
When you find a recipe like Dolly Parton’s Banana Pudding, that packs such a great flavor punch, it’s certainly worth making a double or triple batch to store for later. This pudding cake can be made in advance and will keep well in the refrigerator for up to three days, so it’s perfect for meal prep or busy weekdays.
To make this easily storable dessert, all you have to do is follow the recipe and allow the cake to cool down completely before storing it. Once cooled, store the cake in an airtight container in the fridge. When you’re ready to serve it, just remove it from the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature for about 30 minutes before reheating.
To reheat this delectable banana pudding, preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Then, transfer the cake to an oven-safe dish and cover with foil. Heat it up for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. You can also heat individual portions in the microwave for around 30 seconds -1 minute per slice.
It’s important not to reheat this dessert more than once because it contains eggs, which could cause bacterial growth if held at an incorrect temperature. So, only heat what you need when you need it.
Now that you know how to properly store and reheat this magnificent creation, there’s nothing stopping you from enjoying Dolly Parton’s Banana Pudding whenever you crave something sweet and delicious!
Tips for Perfect Results
Now that you know how to make Dolly Parton’s banana pudding recipe, let me give some tips on how to make this dessert even better.
Firstly, use perfectly ripe bananas. Not too ripe or not too green, your bananas should have a nice yellow skin with some brown spots. Overripe bananas can make the pudding too sweet and underripe bananas are too firm and will not mix well with the pudding.
Secondly, be sure to use all the ingredients at room temperature. This will help to avoid any lumps in the pudding and create a smoother mixture overall.
Another helpful tip is to toss your banana slices in lemon juice before mixing them into the pudding. This will prevent them from turning brown while the bananas sit in the pudding layers.
Furthermore, opt for unsalted butter instead of margarine because margarine has a higher water content which can affect the texture of the cake. If you don’t have unsalted butter at home, use lesser salt in the recipe.
When making the whipped cream for topping, chill your bowl and whisk before beginning to yield firmer peaks; it also ensures that the cream doesn’t overheat during whisking.
Lastly, try using vanilla wafers instead of cookies to create an even more authentic and old-fashioned flavor to your Dolly Parton’s banana pudding. Using vanilla wafers can also create a sturdier base for layering.
By following these tips, your Dolly Parton’s banana pudding recipe will surely impress your family and friends!
When it comes to making Dolly Parton’s Banana Pudding Recipe, there may be some questions or concerns. In this FAQ section, I’ll address some of the most frequently asked questions to help make the process as smooth as possible.
How do you make Dolly Parton banana pudding cake?
To start, I recommend grabbing a large bowl and pouring in your cake mix, 1 cup of milk, eggs, melted butter, and 3 tablespoons of pudding mix. Using an electric mixer, blend the ingredients together on a low speed until everything is moistened. This should only take about 30 seconds. Afterward, increase the mixer speed to medium and beat the mixture for 2 minutes. Once you’re done, divide the batter evenly into your baking pans. Pop the pans in the oven and bake them for 26 to 30 minutes. You’ll know they’re ready when a toothpick inserted into the center of each cake comes out clean.
How do I keep bananas from turning brown in banana pudding?
When preparing bananas for your recipe, it’s important to take steps to prevent them from turning brown. One effective method is to use citrus juice such as lemon, orange or pineapple juice. The acidity in these juices slows down the oxidation process, which causes browning. So, treat your bananas to some citrus juice before incorporating them into your recipe to keep them looking fresh and appetizing.
How do you make Paula Deen’s Not Yo Mama’s banana pudding?
To start, grab a 9×13 inch baking dish and line the bottom with a bag of your favorite cookies. Then, add a layer of sliced bananas on top of the cookies.
Next, grab a whisk and mix together some milk and pudding mix for about a minute until everything is well combined.
In a separate bowl, beat together some cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk until it’s smooth and creamy.
Once that’s done, pour the cream cheese mixture over the layer of cookies and bananas in the baking dish. Top everything off with another layer of cookies.
Finally, pop the baking dish into the refrigerator and let it chill until it’s ready to be served.
In conclusion, Dolly Parton’s Banana Pudding Recipe is a delicious and easy-to-follow recipe that will bring joy to any gathering. This recipe truly embodies the southern hospitality and charm that Dolly Parton is known for. With its creamy vanilla pudding, fresh bananas, and crunchy vanilla wafer cookies, this recipe is perfect for any occasion–from potlucks and family dinners to holidays and special events.
Whether you’re an experienced baker or a beginner in the kitchen, this recipe is sure to impress. With simple ingredients that you likely already have on hand, it’s easy to whip up a batch of Dolly Parton’s Banana Pudding in no time. And with a few adjustments and substitutions, you can customize this recipe to suit your taste preferences and dietary needs.
So, what are you waiting for? Head to your kitchen and start making this amazing banana pudding! Trust me, once you try it, you’ll want to make it over and over again. And who knows? You might just become the designated dessert maker among your friends and family. So why not try the Dolly Parton Banana pudding recipe today? You won’t regret it!
Dolly Parton’s Banana Pudding Recipe
- 1 (12 ounce) box vanilla wafer cookies
- 4 large bananas, ripe, firm and sliced (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup butter or 1/4 cup margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare pudding as directed on box:
- In a deep 2 quart casserole bowl place cookies and bananas mix well set this aside.
- In a saucepan combine 3/4 cup of sugar, flour and salt; with whisk beat in milk until blended and smooth.
- Bring to boil over medium low heat; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- In another bowl beat egg and egg yolks, add 3 tablespoons of hot milk mixture.
- Stir egg mixture into saucepan cook over low heat 2 minutes, stirring constantly until mixture is hot but Not Boiling.
- Stir in butter until melted. Remove from heat; stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Pour mixture over cookies and bananas in casserole; set aside.
- Prepare meringue topping: In large bowl with mixer on high speed, beat egg whites, sugar, lemon juice and vanilla extract until stiff peaks form.
- Spoon mixture over top of pudding, making sure meringue touches sides of casserole all around.
- Bake 15 minutes until top is golden.
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Steven is a chef by heritage, so it’s no wonder why baking is such a big part of who he is. To share his passion for all things sweet, he created cookiesncrepes.com. It’s the perfect platform to indulge in delicious treats, all with a sprinkle of his signature flare.