In the spirit of Ukrainian baking, I’m excited to share with you this delectable recipe for an unforgettable dessert, the Ukrainian Walnut-Almond Torte. This cake is a perfect pairing of two distinct flavors – the rich and nutty taste of walnuts coupled with sweet and aromatic almonds. Trust me when I say that this torte will definitely impress your friends and family — a showstopper that is sure to leave everyone in awe.
With its layers of delicate sponge cake packed with finely ground walnuts, and a hint of lemon rind mixed in with a zesty sugar icing – this torte will have all your senses tingling. No dessert table should be without it!
And what’s even better, it’s a versatile recipe that you can personalize by tweaking the ingredients or serving it alongside your favorite fruit or ice cream. Whether you’re looking for an indulgent afternoon treat or trying new dessert recipes for a special occasion, there’s something for everyone in this Ukrainian Walnut-Almond Torte.
So let’s get started and prepare to take your taste buds on a journey through traditional Ukrainian flavors.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
You’ll love this Ukrainian Walnut-Almond Torte because it is the perfect combination of rich and nutty flavors with a touch of sweetness. This cake recipe makes for an exceptional dessert option that will have your guests raving for days. Are you a fan of almonds or walnuts? This torte is loaded with both to give it that crunchy texture you crave.
Furthermore, this dessert torte is perfect for any special occasion, from birthdays to holidays to celebrations. It’s even great for just a regular day when you need a little something sweet after dinner. And who doesn’t love an excuse to whip up a delectable cake?
Plus, this recipe has all the richness of traditional Ukrainian baking style while incorporating the contemporary twist of almond cake recipe. The balance between sweetness and nuttiness makes this cake truly irresistible.
This recipe has been passed down over generations, so you know that it’s not only delicious but also steeped in history and tradition. With its roots in authentic Ukrainian home cooking, this dish carries on the cultural heritage.
Last but not least, all the ingredients are fresh and easily accessible at your local grocery store. You don’t need exotic items or culinary skills to create a masterpiece with this recipe.
Before we start preparing our delicious Ukrainian Walnut-Almond Torte, we want to make sure we have all the necessary ingredients. Here is a list of everything you’ll need:
- 8 eggs, separated
- 1 and 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar, divided
- 1 and 1/2 cups finely ground walnuts
- 1/3 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon rind
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups walnuts, grated
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar for icing
You might already have some of these ingredients at home, but make sure to double-check before starting your baking adventure. Also, consider buying high-quality ingredients as the quality of the end result highly depends on that. Once you have everything set up, let’s continue to the exciting part!
The Recipe How-To
Step 1: Preheat the Oven
Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch springform pan and dust it with flour or fine breadcrumbs.
Step 2: Prepare the Walnuts
In a baking pan, toast 2 cups of walnuts for about 7-10 minutes until fragrant. Cool them down, finely chop in a food processor or blender, and set aside.
Step 3: Separate the Eggs
In a large bowl, separate 8 eggs into yolks and whites. Make sure no egg yolks get into the whites.
Step 4: Beat the Egg Whites
Using an electric mixer or whisk, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form but avoid over-beating.
Step 5: Add Sugar to Egg Yolks
Add 1 cup of confectioners’ sugar to the egg yolks and beat them until pale and fluffy.
Step 6: Add Lemon Juice, Lemon Rind, Butter and Vanilla
Add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of grated lemon rind, 1/2 cup of melted butter, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla to the egg yolk mixture. Continuously mix on low speed until combined.
Step 7: Add Walnuts and Breadcrumbs to Egg Yolk Mixture
Add the finely ground walnuts and fine breadcrumbs from step 2 into the egg yolk mixture. Mix well.
Step 8: Fold in Beaten Egg Whites
Gradually fold in beaten egg whites from step 4 into the walnut-egg yolk mixture by cutting through with a spatula. Be gentle until just combined.
Step 9: Bake
Pour the mixed batter into greased springform pan and smooth out evenly on top.
Bake at 350°F for approximately 45-50 minutes or until done.
Step 10: Cool & Serve
Take torte out of oven when ready and let cool for 15 minutes before removing sides of pan. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar on top before serving.
Substitutions and Variations
If you are feeling adventurous, there are many ways to mix up this Ukrainian Walnut-Almond Torte recipe. Here are some substitutions and variations that you can try:
– Vanilla: If you are not a fan of vanilla, you can substitute it with almond extract or lemon zest for a different flavor profile.
– Coffee: You can add 1/4 cup of strong brewed coffee to the batter in place of water for a subtle coffee flavor.
– Sugar: If you prefer a less sweet cake, reduce the amount of confectioners’ sugar by half or replace it altogether with honey.
– Eggs: For a vegan option, try substituting the eggs with flax eggs. Use two tablespoons of finely ground flaxseed mixed with six tablespoons of water for every two eggs called for in the recipe.
– Nuts: You can substitute the walnuts and almonds with any other nuts that you prefer. Pecans or hazelnuts would work well in this recipe.
– Flourless: If you want to make a flourless version of this torte, simply omit the cake flour and use only finely ground walnuts or another nut.
– Ukrainian Prune Torte: For a twist on this recipe, try making a Ukrainian Prune Torte instead. Replace the walnuts and almonds with prunes and add cinnamon and nutmeg to taste.
Experimenting with different ingredients and flavors can be fun and exciting. Don’t be afraid to get creative in the kitchen and tailor this recipe to your tastes.
Serving and Pairing
When serving Ukrainian Walnut-Almond Torte, a slice of this delicious dessert is a perfect ending to any meal. The nutty and sweet flavor of the torte pairs perfectly with a hot cup of coffee, tea or a glass of milk. The cake can also be served as part of your breakfast, brunch or afternoon tea.
For an added twist, you can try serving the torte with a dollop of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. This will give the dish a unique taste and take it to another level. Alternatively, you may want to drizzle it with some lemon juice or grated lemon rind for a tangy and refreshing taste.
If you are looking for something more decadent, you could also try pairing the torte with a rich chocolate sauce or ganache. You can even make your own homemade chocolate sauce using dark chocolate and cream.
Whether you decide to serve it on its own or pair it with different options, this Walnut-Almond Torte is sure to impress and satisfy anyone’s sweet tooth.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Alright, folks, so you’ve made the Ukrainian Walnut-Almond Torte and it turned out to be a hit! But maybe you have some leftovers or just want to prepare it ahead of time. Fear not, I got you covered.
First things first, let the torte cool completely before doing anything. Once cooled, wrap it tightly with plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator for up to three days. This will allow the flavors to meld together and create an even more delicious cake.
Now if you’re like me and want to prepare in advance so that you don’t have to worry about dessert on the day of your event, you can freeze the torte. Wrap it with plastic wrap and then wrap again with aluminum foil or a freezer-safe bag. It will keep well in the freezer for up to two months.
When it’s time to serve the cake, take it out of the refrigerator or freezer and let it come to room temperature by leaving it at room temperature for up to two hours. This will ensure that your cake is nice and soft when cut through.
Now, what if you have leftovers? The good news is that this cake tastes even better a day or two after baking. Wrap any remaining cake slices tightly with plastic wrap and store them in the refrigerator for up to one week. You can also freeze them in a similar manner as mentioned above and they will last for up to two months.
Lastly, reheating this torte is simple yet effective. Heat each slice in the microwave for 15-20 seconds before serving for a warm experience, or add a dollop of whipped cream on top if you’re feeling fancy.
Remember, proper storage techniques are key to enjoying this incredible dessert over a longer period of time without losing its flavor texture.
Tips for Perfect Results
If you want to make sure your Ukrainian Walnut-Almond Torte comes out perfect, follow these tips:
First, be careful with the amount of confectioners’ sugar you use. It’s easy to accidentally add too much and make the cake overly sweet. Measure carefully and sift the sugar to avoid lumps.
Second, make sure your eggs are at room temperature before using them in the recipe. If they’re too cold, they won’t mix properly with the other ingredients and could cause the cake to come out dense or lumpy.
Third, don’t overbeat the egg whites. While it’s important to beat them until stiff peaks form, going too far can cause the cake to become too dry and crumbly.
Fourth, toast your walnuts before using them. This will help bring out their nutty flavor and give a nice crunch to the cake.
Fifth, use parchment paper to line your baking pan. This will make it easy to remove the cake from the pan without breaking it or leaving crumbs behind.
Sixth, allow your cake to cool completely before frosting it. This will help prevent the frosting from melting or sliding off of the cake.
Seventh, if you want to add a touch of coffee flavor to your cake, consider adding a small amount of espresso powder or brewed coffee to either the batter or frosting.
Eighth, when grating your walnuts for garnish, use a fine grater for a more delicate texture.
By following these tips, you’ll ensure that your Ukrainian Walnut-Almond Torte comes out perfect every time!
In conclusion, the Ukrainian Walnut-Almond Torte recipe is not only a delicious dessert option but also a celebration of culture and tradition. With its rich flavor and texture, it is a sure crowd-pleaser for any occasion.
The combination of walnuts and almonds gives the cake a unique taste that is both rich and earthy, while the confectioners’ sugar icing adds a touch of sweetness. The recipe also allows for substitutions and variations to cater to individual preferences.
The torte can be stored and reheated easily, which makes it perfect for make-ahead desserts or leftovers. It can also be served with a variety of pairings, including coffee or vanilla ice cream.
With these tips for perfect results, this almond torte horihovyy recipe will surely delight your taste buds. Don’t be afraid to try out different variations, such as Ukrainian prune torte or Hungarian walnut torte.
So what are you waiting for? Why not try out this traditional Ukrainian dessert today? You won’t regret it!
Ukrainian Walnut-Almond Torte Recipe
- 8 eggs, SEPARATED
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar (icing)
- 2 cups walnuts, grated
- 4 tablespoons fine breadcrumbs
- 4 eggs, SEPARATED
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2/3 cup grated almonds
- 2 tablespoons fine breadcrumbs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons strong cool coffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- FOR THE WALNUT TORTE: Beat the egg yolks until light. Add the sugar gradually and beat until thick and fluffy. Stir in the nuts and bread crumbs.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold gently into the mixture.
- Butter 2, (9 inch )deep layer pans (shallow pans may cause the batter to run over in the oven) with soft butter and sprinkle with fine bread crumbs.
- Spoon the batter into the pans. Bake 350 degrees F.,for 30 to 35 minutes, or until done when tested.
- Remove from the pans and place on a cake rack.
- FOR THE ALMOND LAYER: Beat the egg yolks until light. Add the sugar gradually and continue beating until thick and fluffy. Beat in the lemon rind and juice. Stir in the almonds and bread crumbs.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold gently into the mixture. Spoon the batter into a deep, buttered layer cake pan sprinkled with bread crumbs.
- Bake in a moderate oven (350 degrees F.) for 30 to 35 minutes or until done. Remove from the pan and place on a cake rack. Prepare the following filling.
- FOR THE FILLING: BLEND the egg yolks with 1/2 cup of the sugar in a saucepan; cook this mixture OVER simmering water, stirring constantly, until it thickens.
- Remove it from the heat and cool.
- Cream the butter, add the remaining 1 cup of sugar gradually, and continue creaming until smooth.
- Blend in the yolk-sugar mixture, coffee, and vanilla. Beat thoroughly.
- Spread this filling between the 3 layers of the torte, on the sides, and over the top. Decorate with toasted, slivered almonds.
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Steven is a chef by heritage, so it’s no wonder why baking is such a big part of who he is. To share his passion for all things sweet, he created cookiesncrepes.com. It’s the perfect platform to indulge in delicious treats, all with a sprinkle of his signature flare.