As the days grow colder and shorter, there’s nothing quite like the comfort of a warm cup of hot chocolate. But what if we could take that cozy feeling a step further? Imagine enjoying that same rich cocoa taste but in the form of a moist, decadent chocolate cupcake, topped with a fluffy marshmallow buttercream frosting.
That’s exactly what this recipe offers – combining the best of both worlds to create a dessert that is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth and warm your heart. With just a few simple ingredients and some easy steps, you can whip up a batch of festive hot chocolate cupcakes that are perfect for any occasion.
Whether you’re hosting a winter dinner party, need a tasty treat for a holiday potluck, or just want to indulge in something special on a cold evening, these cupcakes are an excellent choice. So why settle for plain hot cocoa when you can enjoy it in the form of a delicious baked good? Get ready to bite into one of the most irresistible chocolate cupcakes you’ve ever had!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Picture this: it’s a cold winter evening, and you’re curled up on the couch with a cozy blanket. What could make this moment even better? A warm cup of hot chocolate, topped with fluffy marshmallows and decadent frosting. This Hot Chocolate & Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting Recipe not only delivers on taste but also provides a comforting experience for your soul.
With just a few simple ingredients, this recipe will bring that nostalgic hot cocoa flavor to perfection. Made with Swiss Miss Hot Cocoa Mix giving an extra layer of familiarity that many of us have experienced during childhood. The marshmallow buttercream frosting adds richness and depth to the cupcake, creating a truly indulgent treat.
But there’s more — this recipe is versatile! You can use the marshmallow buttercream on other desserts such as cakes and cookies to enhance their flavor profile. Not to mention, it is quite easy to make, taking only 10 minutes of your time.
So next time you’re in need of some comfort food, try out this Hot Chocolate & Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting Recipe. Your taste buds — and your heart — will thank you for it!
- Hot chocolate mix: 1 cup
- Cocoa powder: 1/2 cup
- Flour: 1 and 1/2 cup
- Baking Powder: 1 and 1/2 tsp
- Baking Soda: 1/2 tsp
- Salt: 1/2 tsp
- Unsalted butter, room temperature: 1 cup
- Granulated sugar: 3/4 cup
- Egg, room temperature: 2 large eggs
- Vanilla extract: 2 tsp
- Milk, room temperature: 1/2 cup
Ingredients for Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting:
- Unsalted butter, room temperature: 1 and 1/2 cups
- Marshmallow Cream (also known as Marshmallow Fluff or Creme): 7 oz
- Powdered sugar: 4 cups, sifted
- Heavy whipping cream: 2 tbsp
- Vanilla extract: 2 tsp
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate shavings
This recipe yields around
The Recipe How-To
Now let’s get to the fun part – making this delicious hot chocolate and marshmallow buttercream frosting recipe! Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to make it:
- Hot Chocolate: 1 2/3 cups of milk, ¼ cup of cocoa powder, ¼ cup of Swiss Miss® hot cocoa mix
- Marshmallow Buttercream: 4 cups of powdered sugar, 1 cup of unsalted butter (room temperature), 2/3 cup of marshmallow cream, 2 tbsp of heavy whipping cream, and ½ tsp of vanilla extract.
- Begin by making the hot chocolate. Combine milk, cocoa powder, and Swiss Miss® hot cocoa mix into a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until hot chocolate is smooth and heated through.
- To make the marshmallow buttercream, start by creaming the softened butter with a mixer on high speed for at least two minutes until it becomes light and fluffy.
- Next, add the powdered sugar slowly while consistently beating until fully combined.
- Add in marshmallow cream, heavy whipping cream, and vanilla extract, mix on low speed for 30 seconds, then switch to high speed for 1-2 minutes until your frosting is well blended.
- Using a piping bag or spatula, spread the frosting onto your chocolate cupcakes or cake.
- For an added touch of festivity, sprinkle crushed marshmallows on top or add some whipped cream.
Enjoy this delicious treat with family and friends!
Substitutions and Variations
When it comes to making hot chocolate and marshmallow buttercream frosting, there are plenty of ways to mix it up and put your own spin on the recipe. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different ingredients and flavors to find what works best for you.
Here are a few substitutions and variations you can try:
– Dairy-free: If you’re lactose intolerant or just want to avoid dairy, you can substitute almond milk or coconut milk for regular milk in the hot chocolate recipe. For the buttercream frosting, use a dairy-free margarine instead of unsalted butter, and whipped coconut cream instead of regular whipping cream.
– Chocolate cake: If you want to turn this recipe into a chocolate cake instead of cupcakes, simply double the ingredients and bake it in a cake pan. You can also make chocolate cookies with this recipe by scooping spoonfuls of dough onto a baking sheet and baking for 10-12 minutes.
– Flavored hot cocoa mix: If you want to add some extra flavor to your hot cocoa, try using flavored hot cocoa mix instead of regular cocoa powder. Brands like Swiss Miss offer a variety of flavors like caramel, peppermint, and mocha that would pair well with the marshmallow buttercream frosting.
– Marshmallow creme: If you can’t find marshmallow fluff or marshmallow cream in your local grocery store, you can make your own by melting marshmallows in the microwave and stirring until they’re smooth. Use 8 ounces of marshmallows for every 7 ounces of sweetened condensed milk.
– Toppings: Get creative with your toppings! Try sprinkling crushed candy canes or chopped nuts over the frosting for an extra crunch. You can also top each cupcake with a toasted marshmallow for added texture and flavor.
Remember, these are just a few ideas – feel free to experiment with your own substitutions and variations. Who knows what new creation you might come up with!
Serving and Pairing
When you’ve made these delicious hot chocolate cupcakes with marshmallow buttercream frosting, how should you enjoy them? One obvious pairing is a steaming cup of hot cocoa, but this scrumptious treat doesn’t require any extra accompaniments!
Serve on a plate or platter at tea-time or as a dessert – the combination of the fluffy chocolate cake with rich and creamy marshmallow buttercream is perfect all by itself. However, if you’re in the mood for something extra special, try topping your cupcakes with marshmallows or whipped cream.
These cupcakes are versatile enough to pair well with a range of drinks. Try them with your favorite coffee blend, tea, or even milk! This recipe is also perfect for bake sales and potlucks – it’s an indulgent crowd-pleaser that people just can’t resist.
Another great option is to serve these cupcakes with homemade cocoa cookies; they are perfectly paired and complement each other beautifully. Impress your guests with this decadent treat and offer them a bite of festive hot chocolate that will please their taste buds and warm their souls.
In conclusion, hot chocolate cupcakes topped with marshmallow buttercream are perfect as a sweet and comforting dessert, an afternoon snack or even at breakfast paired with coffee. They are delicious enough to be enjoyed on their own but can be paired with many other treats to take your indulgence to the next level!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
The beauty of this Hot Chocolate & Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting recipe is that it can be made ahead of time and stored for later. You can prepare the frosting and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days, or freeze it for up to a month. This means you can enjoy your delicious frosting at your convenience, whether you want it on hot cocoa cupcakes or your favorite chocolate cake.
When reheating the frosting, transfer it into a bowl and let it come to room temperature before use. You want the frosting to be light and fluffy, so avoid overheating in the microwave or on the stove. You can choose to re-whip the frosting manually using a whisk or electric mixer for optimal texture.
Whether you’re hosting a holiday party or just looking for a sweet treat to enjoy at home, knowing how to make and store frosting ahead of time can help ease some of the stress and save you time in the kitchen. Don’t forget to make extra batches of this decadent marshmallow buttercream frosting – it pairs perfectly with homemade marshmallows, cocoa cookies, and even swirled into hot chocolate for an extra festive touch. Your taste buds will thank you later!
Tips for Perfect Results
As an articulative assistant for a baker, I have picked up some tips and tricks to create the perfect hot chocolate and marshmallow buttercream frosting recipe. Here are my top tips to make sure your cupcakes come out perfectly every time:
1. Use high-quality ingredients: When making any recipe, the quality of your ingredients can significantly affect the outcome. Be sure to use the best quality cocoa powder, unsalted butter, milk, and marshmallow cream available.
2. Soften the butter: Make sure your unsalted butter is at room temperature before you start mixing it for the buttercream frosting. Softened butter will produce a light and fluffy consistency that is perfect for piping on top of cupcakes.
3. Sift powdered sugar: Sifting powdered sugar before adding it to the frosting mixture will ensure that there aren’t any lumps and result in a silky smooth texture.
4. Keep the frosting cool: Once you’ve made the Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting, it’s important to keep it cool until you’re ready to frost your cupcakes. If your kitchen is too warm, place the frosting in the fridge for a bit before using it.
5. Use piping bags and tips: To get that perfect swirl of frosting on your cupcakes, use a piping bag fitted with a decorative tip. It’s an easy way to make your cupcakes look more professional.
6. Decorate with homemade marshmallows: To elevate your cupcakes even further, make homemade marshmallows and use them as toppings alongside some whipped cream.
By following these tips, you’ll be able to achieve light and fluffy buttercream with just enough marshmallow flavor to complement your chocolate cupcakes perfectly!
Now, let’s answer some frequently asked questions about this hot chocolate and marshmallow buttercream frosting recipe. It’s always useful to know what others are curious about when trying out a new recipe, so don’t be shy to ask any of your own questions. Let’s clear up any doubts and get ready to make some delicious hot chocolate cupcakes with marshmallow buttercream frosting!
Can I use hot chocolate instead of cocoa powder in buttercream?
If you don’t have cocoa powder at hand, an alternative could be using hot chocolate mix. To substitute cocoa powder, use 2 teaspoons of hot chocolate mix for every 1 teaspoon of cocoa powder that your recipe calls for. This can come in handy when you’re in a bind and require cocoa powder for your recipe.
Does marshmallow buttercream set hard?
If you’re wondering about the consistency of marshmallow buttercream frosting, know that it does tend to harden over time. It’s best practice to keep it tightly sealed in an airtight container, or immediately use it to adorn your baked goods.
Why put marshmallows in hot chocolate?
If you want to elevate your hot chocolate game, nothing compares to adding classic marshmallows or a dollop of whipped cream. By mixing in these light and creamy toppings with the rich and thick chocolate, you can create the perfect balance of flavors and textures for a cozy drink that hits just right. This timeless combination is sure to warm your heart and soul, especially during the holiday season.
What is marshmallow frosting made of?
Looking for a simple and tasty frosting recipe that can be used on any flavored cupcake? Look no further! With just a handful of ingredients, including marshmallow fluff, butter, vanilla, and powdered sugar, you can whip up a delicious marshmallow fluff frosting that is sure to be a hit. Whether you prefer vanilla or chocolate cupcakes, this versatile frosting is the perfect topping for any flavor. Try it for yourself and see how easy and tasty homemade frosting can be!
In conclusion, this hot chocolate and marshmallow buttercream frosting recipe is the perfect way to indulge in the warmth of hot cocoa during the cooler seasons. Whether you are hosting a holiday party or just want a sweet treat on a chilly day, this recipe is sure to satisfy your cravings. It’s rich, creamy, and perfectly sweetened with powdered sugar and marshmallow cream.
With its versatile nature, you can use this frosting to top off any cupcakes or cakes you desire. You can also make it dairy-free by adjusting the ingredients to suit your dietary preferences. The best part is that this homemade marshmallow buttercream frosting can be stored in the fridge for up to a week, so you can enjoy it anytime.
So why not give this recipe a try? Take some time for yourself and whip up a batch of delicious hot chocolate and marshmallow buttercream frosting. You will love how comforting and delightful it tastes with every bite. This festive hot chocolate cupcake recipe will definitely be a hit at your next event or gathering.
Remember, life is short- indulge in the little things that make you happy, like cupcakes with marshmallow buttercream frosting. Happy Baking!
Hot Chocolate & Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting Recipe
- 1/2 cup hot chocolate powder
- 3 teaspoons milk
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 (7 ounce) jar marshmallow cream
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Stir together the hot cocoa powder and milk, until there are no lumps. Set aside.
- In a mixer, whip together the butter and marshmallow cream until well combined. Add the sugar, a heaping half cup at a time, mixing between additions and scraping down the sides of the bowl. Once all the sugar is added, put the mixer on low and drizzle in the cocoa mixture.
- Slowly turn the mixer up to medium-high speed and whip together for about one minute, until the chocolate is incorporated and the frosting is fluffy.
- Give it a taste and add more chocolate, if necessary. Then frost!
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Steven is a chef by heritage, so it’s no wonder why baking is such a big part of who he is. To share his passion for all things sweet, he created cookiesncrepes.com. It’s the perfect platform to indulge in delicious treats, all with a sprinkle of his signature flare.