Indulge yourself in the most heavenly and delightful treat with our Marvelous Mexican Chocolate Muffins Recipe! This recipe combines the richness of Mexican chocolate with the wonderful aroma of vanilla and cinnamon to make muffins that are both flavorful and satisfying.
Bite into this muffin and you’ll fall blissfully under its chocolate spell. Our recipe food experts have done all the hard work, so you can get an incredibly delicious treat that’s worth sharing with your loved ones. It’s the perfect snack for any occasion whether sunny or rainy day, breakfast, dessert, or simply as a delectable indulgence.
Mexican hot chocolate is a flavor combination that’s been savored for centuries, and with this recipe, you can enjoy it anytime you want. Whether it’s a sweet end to a fantastic meal, or simply a solo indulgence after a long day, these muffins will never disappoint.
So preheat your oven to 350 degrees F line up your muffin cups and let’s start baking! Get ready to experience an explosion of flavors all in one cup. The Marvelous Mexican Chocolate Muffins Recipe is here to satisfy your cravings with just one bite.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you looking for a muffin recipe that is indulgent, perfectly sweet, and packed with flavor? Look no further! Our Marvelous Mexican Chocolate Muffins Recipe is just what you need. These muffins are made with rich Mexican chocolate, creating a unique and delicious twist on the classic chocolate muffin.
One of the reasons you’ll love this recipe is because it’s incredibly easy to make. All you need are some basic baking ingredients like flour, sugar, eggs, and butter along with some cocoa powder and crushed Mexican chocolate. Most of these ingredients are already in your pantry or can easily be found at your local grocery store!
But the real star of this recipe is the Mexican chocolate. Abuelita Hot Cocoa Mix or Ibarra Mexican Chocolate are both perfect choices to give an authentic flavor to these muffins. The combination of cinnamon, cayenne pepper, and hot chocolate creates a wonderful depth of flavor for a truly indulgent treat.
What’s more is that this recipe is extremely versatile. You can add some chocolate chips or nuts for added texture, or switch things up by making it with bananas. Either way, these muffins do justice to any chocolate cravings!
And if you’re looking for something that’s gluten-free or vegan, we’ve got you covered too! Our recipe uses baking powder and soda instead of eggs- which makes it easily adaptable to dietary restrictions while staying moist and full-flavored.
So why not indulge yourself in these marvelous Mexican Chocolate Muffins? You won’t regret it!
Here is a list of ingredients for the marvelous Mexican chocolate muffins recipe:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ounces Mexican chocolate, finely chopped
Note: You can find Mexican chocolate at most grocery stores. If you can’t find it, you can substitute with any good quality dark chocolate.
Tip: It is important to ensure that the wet ingredients are at room temperature when mixing them with the dry ingredients. This helps to prevent lumps in the batter.
The Recipe How-To
Now that you have gathered all the necessary ingredients, it’s time to start baking. Follow these step-by-step instructions to create Marvelous Mexican Chocolate Muffins that will surely satisfy your chocolate cravings.
Step 1: Preheat the Oven
The first thing you need to do is preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Spray non-stick cooking spray on paper baking cups or muffin tins. This will help keep the muffins from sticking during baking.
Step 2: Mix Dry Ingredients
In a mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Mix together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Use a whisk or fork to ensure that they are well combined.
Step 3: Mix Wet Ingredients
In another mixing bowl, cream the unsalted butter and sugar using an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time until well incorporated. Add vanilla extract and whisk again.
Step 4: Combine Dry and Wet Mixture
Gradually add the flour mixture into the wet ingredients in batches until fully combined. Stir in chopped Mexican chocolate or chocolate chips into batter, save some for toppings if desired.
Step 5: Fill Baking Cups/ Tins
Using an ice cream scoop or spoon, evenly distribute the mixture among your paper baking cups or muffin tins filling 3/4 full. Sprinkle some chopped Mexican chocolate on top of each muffin.
Step 6: Bake Muffins
Put the muffin tray into preheated oven at 350 degrees F and bake for about 16-20 minutes, until toothpick inserted into center of muffin comes out clean. Transfer them onto a wire rack and let cool.
These Mexican chocolate muffins are best enjoyed with hot chocolate or coffee or can be served as an anytime dessert!
Substitutions and Variations
Looking for a twist on the classic Mexican Chocolate Muffin recipe? Here are some substitutions and variations that you can try!
– Sugar: You can use brown sugar, honey, or maple syrup instead of granulated sugar.
– Flour: For gluten-free muffins, you can use a mixture of almond flour and oat flour instead of all-purpose flour. Keep in mind that this may result in a denser muffin.
– Butter: Coconut oil or vegetable oil can be used instead of unsalted butter for a vegan alternative.
– Mexican chocolate: If you don’t have access to Mexican chocolate, you can substitute with 1 oz. (28 g) bittersweet chocolate and 1 tsp ground cinnamon.
– Spices: Add a touch of nutmeg, cardamom, or ground ginger for an extra layer of flavor.
– Double Chocolate Banana Muffins: Add mashed ripe bananas to the batter and fold in dark chocolate chips for a delicious twist on the recipe.
– Vegan Chocolate Muffins: Use coconut oil instead of butter and almond milk instead of regular milk for a vegan muffin recipe.
– Mexican Hot Chocolate Muffins: Add 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper to the batter for a spicy kick!
– Top with Whipped Cream: Turn these muffins into a decadent dessert by topping them with whipped cream and shaved Mexican chocolate.
Remember that adjusting the ingredients or adding new flavors to the recipe may change the texture and baking time. Experiment with different combinations until you find your perfect variation.
Serving and Pairing
Once you’ve baked your Marvelous Mexican Chocolate Muffins, it’s time to decide how to serve and pair them. These muffins are delectable on their own or with a cup of freshly brewed coffee or tea. The warm, spicy flavors of the muffins make for an excellent morning treat or afternoon snack.
If you’re feeling adventurous with your pairing options, try serving these muffins with a dollop of whipped cream or a drizzle of caramel sauce. The rich chocolate flavor of the muffins pairs well with fruit such as strawberries, raspberries, or sliced bananas.
This recipe is also versatile enough to be served as dessert. Warm up your muffins in the oven and top them with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a delicious and satisfying treat. They also make for a perfect addition to any cozy night in accompanied by a glass of red wine or hot cocoa.
Whether you serve them for breakfast, as a snack, or dessert, these Marvelous Mexican Chocolate Muffins are sure to impress and satisfy anyone who tries them.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
These marvelous Mexican chocolate muffins are best eaten fresh out of the oven, but they can also be stored and reheated for later indulgences.
If you want to make these muffins ahead of time, simply bake the muffins as directed and let them cool completely on a wire rack. Once cooled, store them in an airtight container or zip-top bag at room temperature for up to 3 days.
To reheat the muffins, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and place the muffins on a baking sheet. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for about 5-7 minutes until heated through. Alternatively, you can also microwave your muffins for 15-20 seconds until warmed up, but be careful not to overheat them as they can become tough and dry.
These muffins also freeze well if you want to keep them for longer periods of time. To freeze them, wrap each individual muffin in plastic wrap or aluminum foil, then place them all in a zip-top freezer bag. Freeze for up to 1 month. When ready to eat, thaw the muffins at room temperature or reheat as directed above.
One tip when reheating or freezing these muffins is to sprinkle some additional cinnamon and cayenne pepper on top before serving. The warming spices will give your muffins an extra kick of flavor that will surely delight your taste buds.
Overall, whether freshly baked or reheated, these marvelous Mexican chocolate muffins will always satisfy your cravings for something sweet and chocolaty.
Tips for Perfect Results
Making the perfect Mexican chocolate muffins may seem challenging but with a few simple tips and tricks, you can achieve a delicious baked goodie each time. Here are some expert tips for ensuring that your muffins come out perfectly:
Firstly, use quality ingredients. Make sure that the unsalted butter, eggs, sugar, and vanilla extract you use are of high-quality. Using fresh baking powder and baking soda is also vital as these ingredients affect the muffin’s texture and rise.
Secondly, make sure to sift your dry ingredients before mixing them. This will ensure that they are evenly distributed in the batter and prevent lumps from forming. A well-mixed batter will result in even muffins with uniform flavor throughout.
Thirdly, don’t over-mix the batter. Over-mixing can cause dense and chewy muffins. Mix the ingredients until just combined because this is all you need to get light, fluffy muffins.
Fourthly, use a large ice cream scoop or measuring cup to uniformly portion your batter into your muffin cups. This ensures that your muffins rise effectively and bake evenly.
Fifthly, add some texture to your muffins by including chocolate chunks or chips in the batter. You could add toppings such as cinnamon sugar to give them more flavor.
Lastly, it is essential to avoid opening the oven door too often while baking your Mexican chocolate muffins. Opening the oven frequently will let cool air inside and disrupt the temperature ideal for baking resulting in uneven distribution of heat which will impact the way your Mexican chocolate muffins turn out.
By following these tips, you’re guaranteed incredibly moist, flavorful Mexican chocolate muffins every time you bake them!
In conclusion, these Marvelous Mexican Chocolate Muffins are an absolute must-try for any baking enthusiast. With their unique blend of Mexican chocolate and subtle hints of cinnamon and cayenne pepper, they are sure to impress anyone who tries them.
Not only do they taste fantastic, but they are also incredibly versatile, with numerous substitution and variation options available. You can even make vegan or gluten-free muffins using this recipe.
So why not give it a try? It’s the perfect recipe to satisfy your sweet tooth while also stepping out of your baking comfort zone. Plus, with these muffins on hand, you’ll always have a tasty snack or dessert option that everyone will enjoy. Trust us, once you try them, you won’t be able to resist making them again and again. Happy baking!
Marvelous Mexican Chocolate Muffins Recipe
- nonstick cooking spray or paper baking cup
- 6 1/4 ounces mexican chocolate, chopped (Abuelita for hot chocolate works well)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Position oven rack in center of oven, and preheat to 400°F Spray the inside of the muffin tins and the rims with nonstick spray or put the paper cups inches If you are using silicone, spray as directed then place them on a cookie sheet.
- Place the chocolate and butter in the top of a double boiler set over simmering water. If you don't a double boiler, use a heat safe bowl the fits snugly over a small pan of simmering water. Stir constantly until the chocolate and butter are half melted. Remove double boiler/bowl from heat then continue stirring, away from the heat until smooth. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk the flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl until well blended. Set aside.
- Once the chocolate mixture has cooled, whisk in the eggs one at a time, making sure the first is completely incorporated before adding the second. Whisk in the sugar until completely dissolved. Then whisk in the milk and vanilla until smoot, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the prepared flour mixture with a wooden spoon until well blended. Do not overmix.
- Fill the prepared muffin pans 3/4 full. Save leftover batter for second batch. Bake for 20 minutes or until the muffins have pale brown, smooth, rounded tops and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Set the pan on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Gently rock each muffin from side to side to release. Remove from pan and set on rack to cool for an additional 5 minutes more then serve. If storing or freezing, let cool completely before storing in airtight containers or freezer bags. These muffins will stay fresh up to 24 hours at room temperature, or up to 1 month in the freezer.
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Steven is a chef by heritage, so it’s no wonder why baking is such a big part of who he is. To share his passion for all things sweet, he created cookiesncrepes.com. It’s the perfect platform to indulge in delicious treats, all with a sprinkle of his signature flare.