Keith Richards, legendary guitarist of the Rolling Stones, may be best known for his larger-than-life persona and rock n’ roll anthems. However, what many people don’t know is that he also has a passion for cooking. In fact, he has even shared his favorite shepherd’s pie recipe with the world.
This hearty dish is a classic comfort food that will warm your soul and satisfy your hunger. It’s made with layers of savory ground beef, carrots, onions, and a buttery mashed potato topping. The addition of cornstarch creates a thick and rich gravy that binds all the flavors together. One bite of Keith Richard’s Shepherd’s Pie recipe and you’ll feel like you’re eating like men (or women!) who play rock n’ roll.
Whether you’re looking for a delicious weeknight dinner or a show-stopping meal to serve at a dinner party, this shepherd’s pie is sure to impress. So grab your apron and let’s get cooking!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Do you want to indulge in comfort food that will make you feel like a true rockstar? Then Keith Richard’s Shepherd’s Pie is the perfect treat for you! This iconic pie recipe is named after one of the greatest guitarists of all time, and it hits all the right notes when it comes to great taste and easy preparation.
First and foremost, this dish is packed with hearty flavors that everyone can enjoy. The filling features a savory blend of ground beef, onions, and carrots cooked to perfection in butter and spices. The mashed potatoes topping is creamy and luxurious, providing the perfect contrast to the meaty mixture below. But what sets this pie recipe apart is its clever use of cornstarch, which thickens up the gravy perfectly without making it too starchy or gloopy.
But Keith Richard’s Shepherd’s Pie isn’t just about great taste – it’s also about celebrating rock n’ roll culture and having some fun in the kitchen. As a fan of the Rolling Stones, you can feel a connection to Keith Richards himself as you prepare this pie. It’s the perfect way to channel his energy and spirit into your own cooking experience. Whether you’re waving your lighter around while mashing potatoes or blasting “Satisfaction” while you chop onions, this recipe adds a bit of rock n’ roll flare to an already incredible meal.
Finally, this recipe is versatile enough to accommodate any customization that suits your palate. You can swap out beef for ground lamb or even make it entirely meatless for a vegetarian version. You can add your favorite herbs for extra flavor or experiment with different cheeses on top. Plus, with its simple ingredients list (only 10!) and clear instructions, this recipe is easy enough for anyone to succeed in the kitchen.
So if you’re looking for a meal that combines great taste, fun vibes, and endless customization options, look no further than Keith Richard’s Shepherd’s Pie.
Here are the ingredients you will need to make Keith Richard’s Shepherd’s Pie Recipe:
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 3 pounds potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch/cornflour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups beef broth
- Salt and pepper
Note: If you prefer ground lamb or a meatless shepherd’s pie, feel free to substitute the ground beef with your chosen protein.
The Recipe How-To
Now that you have your ingredients ready, let’s start cooking Keith Richards’ Shepherd’s Pie. This dish is hearty, wholesome, and perfect for a cold winter night or any time you need a warm hug in the form of delicious comfort food. Here’s how to make it:
Step 1: Prepare the Potatoes
- Peel and cut 3 pounds of potatoes into large chunks.
- Place them in a pot of salted water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Cook the potatoes until they are tender enough to be mashed, for approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes, add 1 cup of milk, 1/2 cup of butter, and season with salt and pepper.
- Mash the potatoes until they are smooth and set aside.
Step 2: Make the Meat Filling
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add 2 large chopped onions and cook until they are soft and golden, for about 5 minutes.
- Add 2 chopped carrots and cook until they soften, for another 5 minutes.
- Add 2 pounds of ground beef to the skillet, breaking it up into small pieces with a wooden spoon or spatula as it cooks.
- Season with salt and pepper, and add 3 tablespoons of cornstarch/cornflour to help thicken the sauce.
- Cook until the beef is browned and cooked through, which should take around 10-12 minutes.
Step 3: Combine the Filling with Mashed Potatoes
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Take an ovenproof baking dish (9×13 inch)and spread half of your meat mixture at bottom.
- Cover the meat layer with mashed potatoes using a spoon or an offset spatula to spread it evenly on top.
- Repeat this step with remaining meat mixture.
- Dot top with cubes of 4 tbsp butter
Step 4: Bake Your Shepherd’s Pie
- Bake your shepherd’s pie in the preheated oven from Step 3 for about an hour or until the edges are browned
and bubbling hot.
This Keith Richards’ Shepherd’s Pie Recipe, inspired by his love for comfort food originated in Britain will surely win hearts of Rolling Stones fans who too like him love traditional home cooked meals after a show while humming Mick Jagger’s timeless tunes!
Substitutions and Variations
Shepherd’s pie is an incredibly versatile dish, which means you can easily switch up the ingredients to fit your taste preferences or dietary requirements. Here are a few substitution and variation ideas to try out:
– Ground beef: if you prefer lamb, feel free to substitute it for the ground beef. The dish will have a slightly different flavor but will still be equally delicious.
– Vegetarian version: for those who don’t eat meat, you can replace the ground beef with plant-based meat alternatives or a mixture of lentils and mushrooms.
– Cornflour: if you don’t have cornstarch on hand, cornflour works as well in this recipe. Just make sure to use the same amount as called for in the recipe.
– Add vegetables: while the original recipe includes onions and carrots, you can add in other vegetables like peas, bell peppers, or even sweet potatoes to give your shepherd’s pie some extra flavor and nutrients.
– Different types of potatoes: instead of using traditional russet potatoes, try making this dish with sweet potatoes or Yukon Gold potatoes for a unique twist.
– Cottage pie: although similar to shepherd’s pie, cottage pie is made with ground beef and topped with mashed potatoes. Feel free to switch things up by using this dish as inspiration for a different type of protein.
No matter how you choose to customize your shepherd’s pie, it’s always a hearty and comforting meal that’s perfect for any occasion. Experimentation in the kitchen is part of the fun- so get creative and try out your own unique twists!
Serving and Pairing
After you have done all the hard work of cooking this delicious Keith Richard’s Shepherd’s Pie recipe, it’s time to sit down and enjoy the fruits of your labor. This savory pie is a meal in itself, packed with rich flavors and hearty ingredients that will leave you feeling satisfied and contented.
The best way to serve this pie is hot, straight out of the oven, with a generous helping of creamy mashed potatoes on top. You can also garnish it with fresh herbs like thyme or parsley to add some bright notes to the dish.
As for pairing options, a classic side salad or roasted vegetables would be perfect. The crispness of the greens or the sweetness of carrots can offset the richness of the dish and balance your taste buds. But if you want something more substantial, a glass of robust red wine such as Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon would complement the bold flavor profile of this pie.
This recipe is great for family dinners, potlucks, and even casual gatherings with friends. It’s comforting, homely, and yet sophisticated in its own way. So go ahead and invite over some guests, share a slice or two, and relish this rockstar-inspired shepherd’s pie – you won’t be disappointed!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
If you’re planning to make and serve this Keith Richard’s Shepherd’s Pie Recipe for a large gathering or event, then it would be wise to make these pies in advance. Not only does it save time, but it also allows the flavors of the ingredients to meld together and in turn, enhance the taste of the dish.
You can store the pies in the refrigerator or the freezer depending on your preference. To refrigerate, allow the pies to cool down completely and cover them with an airtight wrap. You can keep them in the fridge for up to 2 days.
If you plan on serving them later than that, then storing the pies in the freezer is best. Make sure they are packaged well using plastic wrap and foil to avoid getting freezer burns. Frozen shepherd’s pie can last up to 2 months if stored properly.
When reheating from the fridge, remove from its covering and place in a pre-heated oven until heated through, usually around 15-20 minutes or until warm enough for your liking.
For reheating from frozen, place them directly into an oven preheated to 350°F for approximately one hour or until completely heated through.
Keep in mind that heating times may vary depending on your oven settings and the thickness of your pie slices. A quick tip is to use an instant-read thermometer and ensure that its internal temperature reaches 160°F before serving.
By following these storing and reheating tips, you’re able to prepare this delicious dish ahead of time without sacrificing its quality or taste. So go ahead and enjoy these rich, creamy shepherd’s pies inspired by Keith Richard’s favorite food.
Tips for Perfect Results
Making a perfect shepherd’s pie can be a bit challenging even for experienced bakers. The dish requires several layers of flavors and textures, and any mistake in the preparation can result in a disappointing meal. To ensure the success of your Keith Richard’s Shepherd’s Pie recipe, here are a few tips to guide you through the process:
Firstly, when preparing the mashed potatoes that top the pie, make sure they are fluffy and creamy. Overcooking or undercooking your potatoes can lead to either a soupy or lumpy texture. It’s best to use a potato ricer or masher to achieve an even texture.
Secondly, take note of the moisture content of your filling. Too much moisture can make the dish watery and reduce its overall flavor. You could add some cornstarch or cornflour to help thicken up the filling if necessary.
Thirdly, don’t be afraid to experiment with vegetables in your recipe. Apart from carrots and onions, you could add other veggies like peas or even sweet potatoes to add more depth and color to the dish.
Fourthly, seasoning is crucial in making this dish perfect. Make sure you properly season each layer with salt and pepper to taste as it helps bring out the flavors.
Lastly, allow your finished pie some resting time before serving it hot. Doing so allows all the different flavors in the pie to meld together and set in properly.
By keeping these tips in mind while preparing this classic comfort food, you’ll be sure to amaze not only yourself but whoever has the pleasure of tasting your Shepherd’s Pie.
As any recipe, Keith Richard’s Shepherd’s Pie Recipe may generate some questions while preparing or serving it. In this section, we will address the most common ones for you to achieve perfect results and indulge in a rock n’ roll classic dish like the Rolling Stones’ guitarist himself.
How do you make Paula Deen shepherd’s pie?
For this recipe, we will need prepared mixed vegetables or niblet corn, tomato sauce, a small onion, ground meat, sour cream, butter, milk, and red new potatoes that have already been prepared. We will be using 1 and 1/2 cups of the mixed veggies or corn, two 8 oz cans of tomato sauce, 1 small onion, and 1 and 1/2 pounds of ground meat. Additionally, we will be using 1/2 cup of sour cream, 12 tablespoons of butter, 1 and 1/2 cups of milk, and 8 to 10 prepared red new potatoes.
How do you make Costco shepherd’s pie?
If you’re planning to enjoy the Costco Shepherd’s Pie, it’s best to consume it within five days of the packaging date printed on the label. Luckily, reheating the pie is simple – just place it in the oven at 320 degrees Fahrenheit for 35 to 40 minutes. As for the packaging date, it was stamped on March 10, 2021.
What’s in Marie Callender’s shepherd’s pie?
Get ready to savor the taste of a timeless classic – our delectable shepherd’s pie. Featuring perfectly seasoned beef, carrots and corn in a luscious savory gravy, all crowned with creamy mashed potatoes, this dish is a real crowd-pleaser. You’ll be happy to know that this dish is all-natural, free from any artificial flavors, and colors.
What is Keith Richards favorite food?
One of Keith Richards’ favorite dishes is a shepherd’s pie, which has been a beloved family recipe for generations. In recent years, it has become a staple food for him while on tour.
In conclusion, Keith Richards’ Shepherd’s Pie recipe is a delicious and hearty meal that everyone should try. It’s packed with flavor from the ground beef, onions, carrots, and mashed potatoes. Whether you’re a fan of the Rolling Stones or just love good food, this recipe is sure to impress.
By following the instructions provided above and using the tips and substitutions recommended, you can adjust the recipe to fit your preferences and make it your own. This recipe is also great for meal prepping as it stores well in the fridge or freezer.
So what are you waiting for? Try out Keith Richards’ Shepherd’s Pie recipe today and taste why it has become one of his favorites. And remember, as Keith himself once said, “We eat like men, we drink like men, and we live like men.”
- 3 lbs potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt and pepper
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 2 (12 ounce) cans beef stock
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch or 1 tablespoon cornflour
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan.
- Cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, simmer until tender.
- Using an electric mixer or whisk, mash potatoes with butter.
- Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet.
- Add beef and onions.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add carrots and stock.
- Mix in cornstarch and cook for 10 minutes.
- Pour into a pie dish and top with mashed potatoes.
- Place under grill until potatoes begin to turn brown.
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Steven is a chef by heritage, so it’s no wonder why baking is such a big part of who he is. To share his passion for all things sweet, he created cookiesncrepes.com. It’s the perfect platform to indulge in delicious treats, all with a sprinkle of his signature flare.