Come fall, apples become a staple ingredient in many recipes from pies to cakes. With its warm and cozy aroma, the Apple Hill Cake recipe is a perfect dessert for any occasion. This recipe takes inspiration from the historic Apple Hill region located in El Dorado County, California.
The recipe ingredients range from traditional items like eggs, sugar, and flour to more artisanal ingredients like fresh walnuts harvested locally around the Hill Orchards. In contrast, the recipe notes suggest that cooks use fuji or granny smith apples, picked from the placerville apple orchards.
There’s no denying that this cake recipe is a gem among other cake recipes. Asides the fact that it’s incredibly moist and tasty, its versatile ingredient list allows for a more customizable experience with each bite. It’s also easy to whip up in no time, with only an hour needed to bake to perfection!
Trust us and make this easy apple hill cake recipe now!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Indulge in the heavenly aroma of warm spiced apples with my Apple Hill Cake recipe. Trust me, there’s no better way to spend a cozy afternoon than by baking this cake and enjoying it with your loved ones.
The combination of juicy apples and crunchy walnuts makes for a deliciously satisfying bite in every forkful. The warm flavors of cinnamon and nutmeg bring back the nostalgia of autumn season all year round. The best part? You don’t even have to be an expert baker to make it!
Not only is my recipe straightforward and easy to understand, the ingredients used are household staples that you probably already have in your pantry – flour, sugar, eggs. And for the star ingredient, you can’t go wrong with a cup or two of your favorite diced apple variety.
Whether you’re entertaining guests, looking for a special treat for your loved ones or just craving something sweet for yourself, my Apple Hill Cake is sure to satisfy those taste buds. So why settle for store-bought desserts when you can create something delicious in your very own kitchen? Trust me, once you’ve tasted this cake, there’ll be no going back!
Before we start baking, let’s have a quick look at the ingredient list. Here are what you will need:
- 2 cups of sugar
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of nutmeg
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup of oil (vegetable or canola)
- 4 cups of diced apples (peeled and cored)
- 1 cup of chopped walnuts (optional)
Most ingredients can be found in your pantry, while some are specific to this recipe. Make sure to have fresh and high-quality ingredients to ensure the best taste and texture for your cake.
The Recipe How-To
Now that you have gathered all the ingredients, it’s time to turn them into an Apple Hill Cake!
Step 1: Prepare the Oven
Begin by preheating your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Step 2: Combine Dry Ingredients
In a large bowl, sift together 2 cups of flour, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, and 1/2 a teaspoon of nutmeg. Set aside.
Step 3: Mix Sugar, Oil, and Eggs
In another large bowl, combine 2 cups of sugar, 1 cup of oil, and 4 large eggs. Mix well until the mixture is smooth and fluffy.
Step 4: Add Apples
Stir in 3 cups of peeled and diced apples (preferably from Apple Hill!), making sure they are evenly distributed in the mixture.
Step 5: Combine Dry and Wet Mixtures
Slowly pour the dry ingredients into the wet mixture, stirring well until everything is mixed together.
Step 6: Pour into Baking Dish
Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish and pour in the mixture, making sure it spreads out evenly.
Step 7: Bake!
Bake for approximately 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool completely before serving.
Following these simple steps will help you make a deliciously moist Apple Hill Cake that everyone will love!
Substitutions and Variations
The beauty of recipes lies in the ability to experiment with ingredients and make them your own. Here are some substitutions and variations to try with the Apple Hill Cake recipe:
– Walnuts: If you aren’t a fan of walnuts, try substituting them with pecans or almonds for an equally delicious crunch.
– Sugar: Instead of using granulated white sugar, you can use brown sugar for a deeper and richer taste.
– Eggs: Use flaxseed meal or chia seeds mixed with water as an egg substitute for this recipe if you are vegan or have an egg allergy.
– Flour: For a gluten-free option, use almond flour or oat flour instead of all-purpose flour. Be sure to adjust other ingredients accordingly.
– Fruit: While the original recipe calls for apples, you can substitute them with other fruits such as pears, peaches, or even cranberries for a unique twist.
Remember that substitutions may alter the final taste and texture of the cake, so experiment in small batches until you find a combination that works best for you.
Additionally, variations to the recipe could include adding extra spices like cardamom or ginger for a bit more depth of flavor. You could also swap out some apples for chopped pears or raisins to change things up.
Whatever variation of this apple hill cake recipe you decide to make, just remember to have fun with it! Becoming comfortable with substituting and varying recipes is one of the most exciting aspects of baking – don’t be afraid to get creative and experiment.
Serving and Pairing
The Apple Hill Cake Recipe is a delightful treat that is perfect for any occasion. Its amazing flavor and texture will make your guests fall in love with it instantly. It’s easy to serve this cake at any time of the day, whether it’s as a morning snack, afternoon tea or part of your dessert after dinner.
This moist and delicious cake can be served plain, but it would be a real shame not to try it with some stunning pairings. You can add whipped cream or ice-cream on the side or sprinkle some powdered sugar over the top to add extra sweetness to the cake.
Another great pairing for the Apple Hill Cake Recipe is hot coffee or tea. The cinnamon, nutmeg, and apple flavors go remarkably well with hot beverages, especially during chilly winter days or early mornings.
If you’re feeling creative, you can also indulge in making an apple sauce to serve with your cake, adding yet another layer of flavor to this wonderful treat. This would be an excellent way to complement the natural taste of the apples used in the recipe.
Overall, the Apple Hill Cake Recipe is a versatile dish that goes well with many different flavors and tastes. Try adapting it to your preferences by serving it alongside your favorite fruity sauce or pairing it with fresh fruits such as berries or pears.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Making this delicious Apple Hill Cake ahead of time is not only possible but highly recommended if you want to save some time in the kitchen. In fact, making it a day in advance allows the flavors to meld together and enhances the taste of the cake.
To make-ahead, just follow the recipe as instructed and once baked, allow it to cool completely. Once cooled, wrap it tightly in cling film or store it in an airtight container and refrigerate it for up to three days. To reheat, simply place slices of the cake on a baking sheet and heat them in the oven at 350°F for 10-15 minutes or microwave them at high power until heated through.
For longer storage, you can freeze your apple hill cake and enjoy it for up to three months. First, wrap your fully cooled cake tightly with plastic wrap and then wrap it again using aluminum foil. Place the wrapped cake into a plastic zip-top bag and freeze until ready to eat.
When ready to serve, remove slices of cake from the freezer and thaw them in the fridge overnight before reheating them in the oven or microwave.
Remember that because this cake is moist and filled with fresh apples, its texture may change slightly after being stored or frozen but its flavor will still be perfectly delicious!
Tips for Perfect Results
Want your Apple Hill Cake Recipe to be a hit amongst your family and friends? Follow these tips for perfect results:
1. Use fresh apples: It may be tempting to use canned or frozen apples, but using fresh apples will result in a much more flavorful and moist cake. Try to use local, seasonal apples for the best taste.
2. Don’t overmix: When combining the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients, it’s important not to overmix. Overmixing can cause the cake to become tough and dense.
3. Use high-quality walnuts: The walnuts in this recipe add a great texture and flavor to the cake. Be sure to use fresh, high-quality walnuts for the best taste.
4. Adjust spices to personal taste: While this recipe calls for cinnamon and nutmeg, you can adjust these spices to your personal liking. If you’re a fan of a stronger cinnamon flavor, add more cinnamon. If you prefer less nutmeg, reduce the amount.
5. Grease the pan well: Be sure to grease your baking pan well so that the cake doesn’t stick. A non-stick cooking spray or butter should do the trick.
6. Allow the cake to cool completely before frosting: It’s important to allow your Apple Hill Cake to cool completely before frosting. Otherwise, your frosting will melt and slide off the cake!
By following these tips, you’ll have a delicious and impressive Apple Hill Cake that everyone will love!
In conclusion, the Apple Hill Cake recipe is a must-try for any enthusiastic baker. With its combination of crispy apples, chopped walnuts, and spices such as cinnamon and nutmeg, this cake offers not only a delicious flavor but also a delectable aroma. It’s not surprising that many variations have been established since its creation by the Quarry Hill Orchards.
This recipe has been tested and proven, ensuring great results every time. So why not give it a try? Impress your family and friends with your baking skills and showcase your creativity by making your own unique version of this classic recipe.
If you’re looking for an easy yet impressive dessert to serve at your next gathering or simply planning to treat yourself to a sweet indulgence, the Apple Hill Cake is the perfect option. Let the smell of delicious apple cake fill your kitchen and enjoy every bite of this mouthwatering dessert!
So what are you waiting for? Head to the kitchen, get baking and experience the delightful flavors of Apple Hill!
Apple Hill Cake Recipe
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups diced apples
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- Combine sugar,oil,and eggs in a large bowl, stirring until well mixed.
- Stir in diced apples and nuts.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, nutmeg,cinnamon and salt, then add to bowl.
- Stir all ingredients together to form a batter (do not overmix).
- Pour into 9x13 inch greased pan.
- Bake one hour in a 350 degree oven.
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Steven is a chef by heritage, so it’s no wonder why baking is such a big part of who he is. To share his passion for all things sweet, he created cookiesncrepes.com. It’s the perfect platform to indulge in delicious treats, all with a sprinkle of his signature flare.