Tangy and Sweet Orange Drop Cookies Recipe
Are you looking to satisfy your sweet tooth with some delicious, citrusy treats? Look no further than this Orange Drop Cookies Recipe! These cookies are the perfect combination of tangy and sweet, making them an irresistible dessert for any occasion.
The recipe features a unique blend of orange zest and juice, along with traditional cookie ingredients like flour, sugar, egg, and butter. Not only is the flavor profile exciting and refreshing, but the process of baking these cookies is simple and straightforward.
Whether you’re a seasoned baker or just starting out in the kitchen, this recipe is sure to impress. With just a few ingredients and some easy-to-follow instructions, you’ll have a batch of soft and chewy orange drop cookies in no time.
So grab your apron and preheat your oven to 350°F. It’s time to whip up some scrumptious Orange Drop Cookies that will leave your taste buds begging for more!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you looking for a delicious and unique way to satisfy your sweet tooth? Look no further than these orange drop cookies!
These treats are bursting with citrusy flavor, thanks to the addition of both fresh orange juice and zest. Not only do they offer a refreshing alternative to traditional chocolate chip or oatmeal raisin cookies, but they also provide a burst of vitamin C, making them a healthier option.
In addition to their bright flavor profile and nutritional value, these cookies are incredibly easy to make. With just a few simple ingredients and no need for complex techniques, even novice bakers can whip up a batch in no time.
But don’t be fooled by their simplicity – these cookies pack a serious flavor punch. The combination of sweet granulated sugar and tangy orange juice makes for an irresistible treat that will leave you wanting more.
Plus, this recipe is easily customizable – feel free to add in chocolate chips, raisins or any other mix-ins of your choice. Or try frosting them with a creamy orange glaze for an extra decadent experience.
Trust us, these orange drop cookies will quickly become your new go-to dessert.
Before starting any baking recipe, it’s important to make sure that you have all of the necessary ingredients. In the case of these Orange Drop Cookies, you will need the following:
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) of unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 teaspoons of orange zest
- 1/4 cup of whole milk
Make sure to have all of the ingredients measured and ready to go. Having everything prepared before starting will make the process much smoother and avoid mistakes.
The Recipe How-To
Now that the ingredients are all set, let’s dive into making these delicious Orange Drop Cookies!
Preparing the Cookie Dough
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix together in a medium-sized mixing bowl the 2 cups of flour, 2 teaspoons of baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Cream the butter and sugar, using an electric mixer or a wooden spoon, in a large mixing bowl until the mixture becomes light and fluffy.
- Add the egg, orange zest, and the fresh orange juice into the mixture.
- Gradually blend in the dry ingredients until a soft dough is formed.
Baking and Serving
- Scoop generous tablespoons of dough onto a prepared baking sheet, spacing them apart around 2 inches.
- Bake the cookies for 12 minutes or until they turn golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool on wire racks before serving.
Detailed Step-by-Step Instructions
If you prefer more detailed instructions, keep reading:
- Begin by setting up your workspace – clear off counter space or table, gather all necessary equipment and ingredients. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together 2 cups of flour, 2 teaspoons of baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt until fully combined.
- In another mixing bowl or using an electric mixer on medium speed, cream together 3/4 cup of softened butter and 1/2 granulated sugar until it turns light and fluffy.
- Add an egg to your mixture then pour in half orange zest (reserve remaining orange zest for later use). Make sure to scrape down the sides after each added ingredient to ensure everything gets mixed well together.
- Pour in 1/4 cup of fresh orange juice (store-bought works too) into your mixture and continue to mix everything together until fully combined.
- Gradually mix dry ingredients into butter-sugar-orange mixture until soft dough forms.
- Pour in any additional mix-ins such as raisins or chocolate chips if desired to create variations on this recipe!
- Scoop generous tablespoons of dough onto your already-prepared baking sheet about 2-inches apart as they will spread out during cooking!
- Bake your cookies for approximately 12 minutes or until it turns golden brown.
- Remove from oven once done and let them cool on wire racks as it cools down quickly out of oven!
Tips for Perfect Results
- Make sure to measure ingredients properly especially flour since there’s approximtely60 grams difference between scooping flour vs spooning flour;
- Do not overmix cookie dough when adding dry ingredients;
- To promote even baking, rotate
Substitutions and Variations
Variety is the spice of life and the same holds true when it comes to cooking. If you wish to get creative with this recipe, here are some ideas for substitutions and variations:
Raisins or Chocolate Chips:
Looking to add some extra sweetness? Add in some raisins or chocolate chips to the dough along with the orange zest.
Dried Orange Peel:
A pinch of dried orange peel can be used instead of fresh orange zest. While fresh orange zest offers a bright, zesty flavor, dried orange peel can impart a deeper, more slightly bitter citrus taste.
If you don’t have sour cream on hand, substitute ¾ cups of milk mixed with 2 teaspoons of vinegar or lemon juice for the same great tangy flavor.
For extra pizazz, try spreading a layer of frosted orange buttercream over each cookie once they have cooled completely.
In the mood for chocolate? Melt some dark chocolate and mix in some orange zest until smooth. Drizzle it over the cookies for an indulgent twist on classic drop cookies.
War Time Recipe:
During tough times like World War II, many ingredients were scarce. Grandma Orange’s version calls for shortening instead of butter and uses sour milk instead of fresh milk.
These substitutions and variations offer endless possibilities for delicious desserts. Try experimenting with different flavors to find your favorite combination.
Serving and Pairing
Once the orange drop cookies are completely cooled down, you can enjoy them alongside a cup of coffee or tea. The combination of the zesty and sweet flavors in the cookies are perfect for a mid-day snack or dessert. The texture of the cookies is slightly crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, making them perfect to pair with a refreshing glass of milk.
For those with a sweet tooth, you can serve these cookies with a drizzle of chocolate or vanilla frosting on top. The deliciously tangy orange flavor combined with rich chocolate makes for an irresistible combination that will leave your taste buds wanting more.
If you’re looking to elevate your dessert table at your next gathering, consider pairing these cookies with other citrus-flavored desserts like lemon bars or key lime pie.
Regardless of how you choose to serve them, these amazing orange drop cookies are sure to please any crowd and leave everyone wanting more.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
When it comes to Orange Drop Cookies, you can easily make these cookies ahead of time and store them in an airtight container for later. They’re perfect to bake at the beginning of the week and munch on for a quick snack or dessert throughout the week.
To store them, simply let the cookies cool completely then place them in a plastic resealable bag or an airtight container. They can be stored at room temperature for up to 5 days. If you want to keep them longer, you can also freeze them for up to 2 months.
Reheating the cookies is super easy too! You can either pop them in a preheated oven at 350°F for about 5 minutes, or you can microwave them for about 10 seconds. This will give them that freshly baked taste and texture.
For variation, you can try adding frosting or glaze! By doing so, your orange drop cookies are able to last up to one week more than without such topping.
Tips for Perfect Results
When making these delicious Orange Drop Cookies, it is important to pay attention to the details in order to achieve perfect results. Here are some tips and tricks to help you make the best cookies possible.
Firstly, make sure to cream the butter and sugar together thoroughly. Creaming allows air to be incorporated into the dough, which results in a lighter and fluffier texture. I recommend using room temperature butter and beating it until it turns pale yellow before gradually adding in the sugar.
Secondly, don’t forget to mix your dry ingredients separately in a separate bowl before adding them to the wet ingredients. This ensures that all ingredients are evenly distributed, leading to a more homogeneous texture in each cookie.
Thirdly, chill the cookie dough before baking. Chilling allows the dough to rest and prevents it from spreading too thinly while baking. This is particularly important for drop cookies like these Orange Drop Cookies since they can easily turn out flat if not properly chilled.
Lastly, use parchment paper or a silicone baking mat when lining your baking sheets. This will prevent your cookies from sticking to the pan and ensure they come off easily once cooked.
Following these tips will help make your Orange Drop Cookies look and taste great. Enjoy!
In conclusion, the Orange Drop Cookies recipe is an excellent choice for those looking for a delicious and easy-to-make dessert that is perfect for any occasion. These cookies are the perfect combination of sweet and tangy, with a delightful orange flavor that makes them irresistible.
With the right ingredients and detailed instructions, you can create these homemade cookies in no time. From measuring out the ingredients to baking at the correct temperature, this recipe has everything you need to achieve spot-on results every time.
Whether you’re a seasoned baker or just starting out in the kitchen, this Orange Drop Cookies recipe is sure to be a hit with friends and family. Plus, with many variations to suit different preferences, it’s easy to create different versions of these cookies using different ingredients or frosting options.
So next time you’re looking for a dessert idea that’s as flavorful as it is simple to make, try your hand at baking some Orange Drop Cookies. From their soft texture and deliciously fruity taste to the many ways you can tweak the recipe to fit your tastes, these cookies will not disappoint – trust me!
Orange Drop Cookies Recipe
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons orange zest, grated
- 1/2 1/2 cup raisins or 1/2 cup chocolate chips, if using
- Heat oven to 400F/200°C.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In another large mixing bowl, mix butter, sugar and egg thoroughly. Stir in orange juice and rind.
- Sift dry ingredients into wet ingredients and blend together.
- Drop rounded teaspoonfuls of dough about 2" apart on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until delicately browned on edges.
- Remove from cookie sheets and cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
Your Own Notes
Steven is a chef by heritage, so it’s no wonder why baking is such a big part of who he is. To share his passion for all things sweet, he created cookiesncrepes.com. It’s the perfect platform to indulge in delicious treats, all with a sprinkle of his signature flare.